Intel confirms 10nm production for 2nd half of 2017

zMeul

source: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/02/16/intel-corp-confirms-first-10-nanometer-product-on.aspx

via: http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/90674-intel-confirms-first-10nm-chips-will-roll-h2-2017/

On Feb. 12, I published a column examining a job listing that had popped up on chip giant Intel's (NASDAQ:INTC) website. The job listing, posted on Jan. 21, 2016, and since taken down, said the company's 10-nanometer chip manufacturing technology would begin mass production "approximately two years" from the posting date.

After the publication of the article, Intel PR reached out to let me know that the listing itself contained "errors" and that it would be taken down (a quick check shows that it has indeed been removed). Intel further clarified that its "first 10-nanometer product is planned for the second half of 2017."

although this is sort of good news that Intel won't delay the 10nm process even further, we should not expect 10nm products in 2017

more likely early 2018 we will see the 1st products on shelves; with 2016-2017 filled with stop-gap 14nm Kaby Lake (also known as Skylake refresh)

speculation on my part seems to be off, and we should expect 10nm CPUs no later than 2nd half of 2017

---

Samsung and TSMC already have plans to introduce 10mn process into production this year, but not to be confused with Intel's:

9aed6e15-bf13-4dbf-89c3-d1d2ef74cc46.jpg

half half of 2017.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

15 minutes ago, Prysin said:

wait wait wait, samsung aiming for 10nm this year. meaning AMD can likely have 10nm CPUs prior to or at the same time as intel??? that would be a fucking piece of shocking news.

Samsung could end up having their 10nm out before Intels, but I heavily doubt we would see both Intel and AMD launch 10nm products at the same time.

Samsung 14nm has been a thing for a while, yet there aren't any AMD products on 14nm. That is the benefit of in-house manufacturing that Intel is doing.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

39 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

Samsung could end up having their 10nm out before Intels, but I heavily doubt we would see both Intel and AMD launch 10nm products at the same time.

Samsung 14nm has been a thing for a while, yet there aren't any AMD products on 14nm. That is the benefit of in-house manufacturing that Intel is doing.

It would help competition if amd can get it out even in the same year as intel. Considering amd were still releasing 32nm chips when intel was on 14nm.

41 minutes ago, Prysin said:

well that was because AMDwanted the LPP version not just LP

35 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Not really

Samsung announced mass production for 14nm LPP just a month ago: http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/about-us/news/24581

And how do you expect 10nm to unfold? Any more different than 14nm?

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

7 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

The entire industry will be struggling with 10nm ramps. Long ago we expected EUV tools to be ready. Without it more multi-level patterning will be required, and that damages yield rate in addition to increasing manufacturing time, mask complexity, and more.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

10 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

sincerely, don't know

but after 10nm it will be a "new world" - I suspect Intel dragging their feet has a lot to do with what comes after

10 minutes ago, zMeul said:

sincerely, don't know

but after 10nm it will be a "new world" - I suspect Intel dragging their feet has a lot to do with what comes after

I can already hear the engineers complaining... 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Are we heading to the final days of silicon? 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Good... Good....

That means when I get my 6900k it will still be good for quite a while.

With their recent track record with an uncountable amount of delays that date will be pushed back by lets say, oh I don't know, a year? Year-and-a-half maybe?

Ye ole' train

1 hour ago, Kamina said:

Are we heading to the final days of silicon? 

Intel is bringing out Silicon-Germanium or a III-V material for 7nm, so we're getting there.

39 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

With their recent track record with an uncountable amount of delays that date will be pushed back by lets say, oh I don't know, a year? Year-and-a-half maybe?

It's already been shoved back 1.5 years.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Well silicon I truly think its at it not at limits for nm they would soon have to produce bigger physical sized chips to increase performance  

The size of individual silicon atoms (around 0.2nm) would be a hard physical limit (with circuits one atom wide), but its behaviour becomes unstable and difficult to control before then.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-08-silicon-limits-power-electronics-revolution.html#jCp

Update the article, Intel is publicly denying that the launch has been pushed back beyond the first half of 2017. http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Intel-insists-their-clock-still-running

What comes next, after electronic computing?

Quantum?

Photonic?

Memristor Stuff?

I will hate quantum computing if only servers are able to handle it, gone the days of building PCs.

Any PSU is modular if you try hard enough....

1 hour ago, xiej said:

What comes next, after electronic computing?

Quantum?

Photonic?

Memristor Stuff?

I will hate quantum computing if only servers are able to handle it, gone the days of building PCs.

Main frame computing its the basically the cloud if you think about it. Thin clients powerful servers. I doubt quantum computers will be involved even then. More likely is a squishy brain blob computer I can give you 100% certainty that you can get an AI out of that "computer". 

Probably can have personal brain blobs. I wonder what the ethics would be like. Depends on if they are as smart as a human I guess.

I wonder how dead Moore's law can get (delay stacking...) . Intel's mfg advantage is going to evaporate probably around now. Not that anyone else is going to be happy as going to next gen (they are actually old material just too expensive to use in the past) material past silicon are going to result in some crazy prices. 

7 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Update the article, Intel is publicly denying that the launch has been pushed back beyond the first half of 2017. http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Intel-insists-their-clock-still-running

I don't understand the The Inquirer article, fool.com already stated that 1st 10nm product is planned for no later than 2nd half of 2017

but that doesn't mean mass production 

31 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I don't understand the The Inquirer article, fool.com already stated that 1st 10nm product is planned for no later than 2nd half of 2017

but that doesn't mean mass production 

Products don't launch until mass production. Engineering samples go out during ramp up at the end of tapeout, but product launch = mass production is in full swing.

13 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Products don't launch until mass production. Engineering samples go out during ramp up at the end of tapeout, but product launch = mass production is in full swing.

let's take Skylake as example, and correct me if I'm wrong

Intel launched Skylake in September last year, but desktop Skylake arrived on market ~2 months later

I was wrong: http://ark.intel.com/products/family/88392/6th-Generation-Intel-Core-i7-Processors#@Mobile + http://ark.intel.com/products/family/88392/6th-Generation-Intel-Core-i7-Processors#@Desktop

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i3/Intel-Core%20i3-6100U%20Mobile%20processor.html / http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core%20i7-6700.html