Do I buy an r9 390 or a GTX 970?? NEED HELP

BlackPanther

Hi i'm new to the forum, I am also new to PC building and I am currently gathering parts for my next build. Only problem is I am stuck between the 390 and the 970.
rest of the PC build (if this matters)

Intel Core i7-6700k
16 BG DDR4

MSI Z170 Krait edition

CX750M PSU

850 EVO

1TB WD Blue
H105 AIO 

Whichever is cheaper.

On a side note, I'd change out the PSU to a SeaSonic, XFX or maybe a EVGA 650 G2 if the budget allows it.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

The 390 has the slightly better price to performance ratio going on, and if you ever go to 1440p or run a lot of mods the extra 4gb of GDDR5 will come in handy. With you being able to pick either around the $300 - $310 mark it really comes down to preference. Just a side note, some of the 390's are triple slot cards, just something to keep in mind if you plan to SLI or crossfire in the future.

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck. There needs to be an *R9 390 vs GTX 970 forum section, every single day there are like 10101010010 threads dedicated to figuring out wich one of these cards are the best. 

Here, if you rely on streaming and give a damn about day one drives and driver overhead and things like that, get a 970, it is also a monster overclocker where as you can get up to GTX 980 speeds. 

If you dont wanna get into ogreclocking and want off the shelf performance and/or want to dabble in the 1440p or even 4k(not recommended) resolutions and want the 5% more fps, then an R9 390 is the card for you. 

I wont talk about DX12 because its not even really out yet and my crystal ball has been stolen by that thief @i_build_nanosuits.

I am an @App4that fanboy.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

4 minutes ago, Festive said:

If you dont wanna get into ogreclocking and want off the shelf performance and/or want to dabble in the 1440p or even 4k(not recommended) resolutions and want the 5% more fps, then an R9 390 is the card for you. 

Seems like there's still a lil bit of misinformation. Overclocking & performance increase isn't a difference on either of the cards because the scaling is different. 

Woop woop 1550mhz vs 1140mhz but still same performance. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

20 minutes ago, VOLUNTEERbrowncoat said:

The 390 has the slightly better price to performance ratio going on, and if you ever go to 1440p or run a lot of mods the extra 4gb of GDDR5 will come in handy. With you being able to pick either around the $300 - $310 mark it really comes down to preference. Just a side note, some of the 390's are triple slot cards, just something to keep in mind if you plan to SLI or crossfire in the future.

9 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Seems like there's still a lil bit of misinformation. Overclocking & performance increase isn't a difference on either of the cards because the scaling is different. 

Woop woop 1550mhz vs 1140mhz but still same performance. 

amd scales better.

personal experience. one 390x =40fps @4k. two 390x=75@4k

It is easy here are pros over each other

390:

-Faster (on any resoulution)

-has more than double the vRam 

970:

-cooler

-less power required to run

NOTE:yes the 970 will reach higher OC speeds yet the performance gain will be around the same and result in 390 outperforming (excluding the fact about silicon lottery)

well, i'm gonna ignore actual performance, and look at the things people like to forget:

970:

- better energy efficiency, if you pay for belgian power...

- the nvidia ecosystem, if you're into that

- better energy efficiency also means less heat, which could be a plus or a minus

390:

- uses slightly more power, but if you dont have to pay more than the price of running a generator you probably dont have to care.

- the amd ecosystem, if you're into that

- kicks out more heat, also means they usually come with more overengineered coolers, and you can use them as a space heater ;)

i'll add in more once my 8AM brain thinks of the other things.

970 if you're into gameworks, shadowplay, etc. etc.

390 if you're don't care about those.

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

4 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

amd scales better.

personal experience. one 390x =40fps @4k. two 390x=75@4k

Yes, but because they can't reach higher core clock without LN2 or watercooling. The performance ultimately is the same.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

either honestly BUT... if you watch evga b stock site i have seen gtx 970 go for 250.00 with a 1 year warranty. if you stalk them you can get one. i would do that OR stalk them and get a gtx 980 for 350.00 there are several on there right now in fact

57 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Yes, but because they can't reach higher core clock without LN2 or watercooling. The performance ultimately is the same.

Mine isis

Get the 390, if you can get the Sapphire one (make sure it fits) it'll probably be cooler than most 970's also the 390 consumes around 60W more power (a light bulbs worth).

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL