Help! Should I buy the Snowball Ice and some games Or the Blue Yeti?

Rob13

Hello I was wondering If I should go for the snowball ice and games or the yeti I plan on using it for Skype, YouTube and Twitch. I really like the yeti because of the audio, features and the upgrade ability using phantom power and it doesn't pick up background sound. I like the snowball because it gives you a nice value and I could buy some games with the left over money but I don't like how I need to be so close to the mic to get the best of it without affecting the audio so much.

Btw I am from the UK and my budget is £100 pounds

Could anyone mind helping me out? thank you :D

You get what you pay for lol. That's all I can really say. About the snowball, it's great but on a personal, subjective level, I wouldn't want it. I'm using an Antlion Modmic 4.0 and liking it a lot. I don't find the snowball to, in reality, sound that much different from my Modmic. A Blue Yeti however, astonishes me. 

Are you limited to these two products? 

Just now, tomoki said:

You get what you pay for lol. That's all I can really say. About the snowball, it's great but on a personal, subjective level, I wouldn't want it. I'm using an Antlion Modmic 4.0 and liking it a lot. I don't find the snowball to, in reality, sound that much different from my Modmic. A Blue Yeti however, astonishes me. 

Are you limited to these two products? 

No I was also thinking other mics but they are the two that caught my eye I also like the audio technica at2020 but I can't find it cheap enough 

2 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

No I was also thinking other mics but they are the two that caught my eye I also like the audio technica at2020 but I can't find it cheap enough 

Ah yeah the Audio Technica AT2020 is great haha sounds great. 

I have a friend who owns a Snowball. It's either his voice or the microphone. He sounds like a radio host sometimes hahaha. 

Blue Yeti though. I like that one the most out. 

The CAD U37 is about the same price as the Snowball.  When I was looking at mics I did a lot of research in that price range (way too much for a $40 product IMHO) and every recording of the U37 sounded good, and some recordings of the Snowball sounded bad.  I don't think it was necessarily the room or voice because some of the bad Snowball recordings were direct comparisons to the Yeti, and those didn't sound bad at all.

Another reason I don't like the Yeti is it's at a funky price range.  For not much more you could get an XLR mic and an audio interface and have a system that sounds just as good or better, you will have more control, and you have an future upgrade path.  So for me in makes sense to either get the Snowball or U37, or get and audio interface and XLR mic.  The Yeti doesn't make sense.

I was in a similar situation, until I saw an Amazone warehouse deal for a Yeti that was $10 more than a Snowball. The Yeti was remarkably cheaper because the piece of cardboard that goes into the top flap to secure it was ripped. That's it. Cosmetically defective boxes are full of win. 

Blue Yeti is the better of the two you mentioned, but honestly it's not that great for the price. If you don't mind paying premium for a good product then I definitely recommend the Blue Yeti.

11 hours ago, dm199913 said:

Blue Yeti is the better of the two you mentioned, but honestly it's not that great for the price. If you don't mind paying premium for a good product then I definitely recommend the Blue Yeti.

Could you suggest any other microphones, on a budget of £100 pounds?