First timer making a new desktop

Just now, ThatSoundGuy said:

Also, if I want 16 gbs of RAM, is it better to have 4 sticks of 4 gbs of RAM, or 2 sticks of 8 gbs of RAM?

it will be better to have 2 sticks of 8gb. in case you want to upgrade to 32gb. u can just add another 2 sticks of 8gb

CPU i7-6700k Motherboard MSI Z170A GAMING M5 RAM KINGSTON HYPERX FURY 2X4GB GPU ZOTAC GEFORCE GTX970 AMP! EXTREME CORE EDITION Case COUGAR ATX Storage WESTERN DIGITAL BLUE 1TB PSU CORSAIR RM650X Display(s) AOC G2460PQU 24" Cooling COOLER MASTER HYPER 103 CPU COOLER Keyboard CORSAIR STRAFE RGB Mouse CORSAIR M65 RGB Sound MICROLAB FC360/RAZER KRAKEN 7.1 CHROMA/AUDIO TECHNICA M50X Operating System WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE

2 minutes ago, ic3panda said:

it will be better to have 2 sticks of 8gb. in case you want to upgrade to 32gb. u can just add another 2 sticks of 8gb

What about 32 gb of RAM? Should I still distribute it as two sticks of 16 gb?

What about 32 gb of RAM? Should I still distribute it as two sticks of 16 gb?

if you are planning to go until 64GB in the future, then yes it is wise to distribute it to two sticks of 16gb for 32gb. otherwise just go with 4 sticks of 8gb.

CPU i7-6700k Motherboard MSI Z170A GAMING M5 RAM KINGSTON HYPERX FURY 2X4GB GPU ZOTAC GEFORCE GTX970 AMP! EXTREME CORE EDITION Case COUGAR ATX Storage WESTERN DIGITAL BLUE 1TB PSU CORSAIR RM650X Display(s) AOC G2460PQU 24" Cooling COOLER MASTER HYPER 103 CPU COOLER Keyboard CORSAIR STRAFE RGB Mouse CORSAIR M65 RGB Sound MICROLAB FC360/RAZER KRAKEN 7.1 CHROMA/AUDIO TECHNICA M50X Operating System WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE

5 hours ago, Hunter7263 said:

Honestly I would spend the extra money on the Z170 chipset and get a Skylake 6700k cpu. The difference in CPU performance is particularly important but chipset supports things like m.2 and usb3.1. I know I'm looking forward to my shiny Samsung 950 pro which people are getting 2700mb/s reads and like 1500mb/s writes on.

Would this be the better build? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4ggxnQ

nice build. i'd say its good enough

1 minute ago, ThatSoundGuy said:

i would not choose razer products tho, try corsair products. i had razer products before. it didnt last me long. the material they use, it wears out pretty quick.

Wow, thank you guys so much for helping me with this build. I will probably change my keyboard and mouse, but why Corsair?

Wow, thank you guys so much for helping me with this build. I will probably change my keyboard and mouse, but why Corsair?

alot of good reviews from youtubers. also i'm personally using the corsair strafe RGB and m65. pretty good build quality.

5 hours ago, ThatSoundGuy said:

Also, if I want 16 gbs of RAM, is it better to have 4 sticks of 4 gbs of RAM, or 2 sticks of 8 gbs of RAM?

I would recommend 2 x 8 so you can upgrade to 32gb ram in the future. 4x4 is a tiny bit faster but you won't notice the difference. 

Intel Core 6700K | Gigabyte GTX 970 | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Western Digital Blue 2TB

EVGA Supernova G2 750 | Microsoft Windows 10 | 2x 1080p monitors

7 hours ago, Jonathantje said:

I would recommend 2 x 8 so you can upgrade to 32gb ram in the future. 4x4 is a tiny bit faster but you won't notice the difference. 

Ahhh, for me I assumed it would be better cooling since more sticks of RAM has more surface area, but then again I've never heard of anyone's RAM overheating

Ahhh, for me I assumed it would be better cooling since more sticks of RAM has more surface area, but then again I've never heard of anyone's RAM overheating

If you have at least 1 fan you should not even think about ram overheating.

Intel Core 6700K | Gigabyte GTX 970 | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Western Digital Blue 2TB

EVGA Supernova G2 750 | Microsoft Windows 10 | 2x 1080p monitors