Need Advice - Lost My Job

Root_temp

So recently I lost my part-time job and it has hit me really hard. Currently, I'm in college and have bills (cell phone, internet, secondary-insurance [parents car - live with them], and credit card debt [~$600]) that need to be paid. I got some savings saved up that will last me a couple months if it comes down to that, but I'm hoping to find a new job before I have to touch it. Also, this happened on Saturday and didn't tell my mom until today through text and talking to them later today after my classes. And, for people wondering why I didn't tell them right away. I was emotionally unstable. I cried for 40 minutes straight on the phone with my girlfriend and have been crying everyday now. She told me to tell my parents when I was ready (which is true in my situation) and at the time my mom was at work and I couldn't hold it any longer.

I just need some advice, any really. I have anxiety and depression, and the depression has been worse lately because of it. I know times will get better and the hardest part is getting to that better point, but its easier said than done. Also, I'm from ON, Canada and the job market is crap at the moment.

Any help with be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE:

I was able to talk to my parents about it and they're mad and disappointed, which they should be. They said they aren't going to be helping me financially because I got myself fired and it wasn't like I got laid off because of low/cut hours, which I do understand. I just got to keep thinking positively and move on with my life. Take it as a lesson and move on. Who knows, maybe this is life saying here's a f**k up, now learn from it. And, I know it'll probably be through many jobs before I find the right one (career/job wise). Thank you all for the support! If I could I would hug all of you (:

Edited by Root_temp
Update

Well if you're a full time student and lost a part time job, I'm guessing you wouldn't be eligible for employment insurance. So I'm guessing there's not much to do besides start looking for another part time job. If you have savings set aside to last a few months you can maybe live off of that until summer should you not be able to get a part time job before then. I'm also from Ontario, do you by chance enjoy outdoor work?

Don't lose confidence! Part of being a student working part time is the unpredictable nature of the work.

Chin up, take stock of the experience you gained on your last job, update your resume, ask your old employer for a reference, and get right back out there. Keep yourself busy and keep up a routine. From experience it's really hard to find the motivation to find a job when you let everything else slip too.

Pay off the credit card debt so it can't get any larger and try not to accumulate any at least until you're employed again, or ever. Even while you're not employed, taking care of the little things can really help with keeping the depression at bay.

All the best :)

5 hours ago, Spartancloud said:

Well if you're a full time student and lost a part time job, I'm guessing you wouldn't be eligible for employment insurance. So I'm guessing there's not much to do besides start looking for another part time job. If you have savings set aside to last a few months you can maybe live off of that until summer should you not be able to get a part time job before then. I'm also from Ontario, do you by chance enjoy outdoor work?

3 hours ago, thevicparable said:

Don't lose confidence! Part of being a student working part time is the unpredictable nature of the work.

Chin up, take stock of the experience you gained on your last job, update your resume, ask your old employer for a reference, and get right back out there. Keep yourself busy and keep up a routine. From experience it's really hard to find the motivation to find a job when you let everything else slip too.

Pay off the credit card debt so it can't get any larger and try not to accumulate any at least until you're employed again, or ever. Even while you're not employed, taking care of the little things can really help with keeping the depression at bay.

All the best :)

Thank you so much for the advice guys. It means so much to me that even people I haven't met before can care/give advice. @Spartancloud I'm trying to not touch the savings as it was meant as a college fund (to pay off student debt) but I'm updating my resume tomorrow and applying at every job that's hiring. I don't mind outdoor work but I think that isn't possible for part-time work, seems like its more of a full-time job. @thevicparable I'm trying to keep my chin up but its harder than you think. And I totally understand from you, its hard. I'm trying my best to keep myself happy and the depression is at bay. I'm trying to focus more on school so hopefully that will help.

Again, thank you both for the advice :)

Well I dont know where you live but there are always opportunities around the corner.

Grocery, department etc.....  Best thing go out and collect as many applications as you can and start interviewing. Don't think about the work so much as getting the job.

We are pulling for you. Even veteran employment lose jobs. Chin up son, life is always brighter down the road.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, Root_temp said:

Thank you so much for the advice guys. It means so much to me that even people I haven't met before can care/give advice. @Spartancloud I'm trying to not touch the savings as it was meant as a college fund (to pay off student debt) but I'm updating my resume tomorrow and applying at every job that's hiring. I don't mind outdoor work but I think that isn't possible for part-time work, seems like its more of a full-time job. @thevicparable I'm trying to keep my chin up but its harder than you think. And I totally understand from you, its hard. I'm trying my best to keep myself happy and the depression is at bay. I'm trying to focus more on school so hopefully that will help.

Again, thank you both for the advice :)

Focusing on school is a really good idea. Use the extra time you have to your advantage.

Wasn't a job, but my gf dumped me last year and then I proceeded to get the best grades of my life. :D

i want to help you, but i am also having a bad time, all i can say is you are not alone and i can see you have people in your life who love you and will support you even on your worse moments. Just smile and enjoy the little things in life.

Remember, the only goal in this life is to be happy, search those things that will make you happy and hold on. i sent you a hug from mexico to canada :D

Life has it's ups and downs, that's just a part of it. Don't stress out over it. Stay positive and hang in there, Root_Temp! 

Loosing a job sucks, but now the door is wide open for you, with plenty of other opportunities to choose from. Some college will have career programs that lets you work with large tech companies. Might want to check them out if your college has it. While you don't want to touch your savings, first get rid of that credit debt.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I just got laid off, Shit sucks real bad. Took me about a week to get over it, and many many drinks. Now I am back to looking for full time job while I head back to school full time. LA is a pricy place to live, esp that I got a new place to live this week.... Life sure does have it ups and downs, as long as you keep on keeping on it will all figure it self out. Again I understand the pain of losing a job. it sucks. Good luck buddy!

7 hours ago, thevicparable said:

Focusing on school is a really good idea. Use the extra time you have to your advantage.

Wasn't a job, but my gf dumped me last year and then I proceeded to get the best grades of my life. :D

Its a good idea as I'm a little behind on it but reading week is next week so that'll give me time to catch up. Maybe this is life saying here's a f**k up, learn from this and move on. I'm trying to think positively but its really hard. From what my friend said that was out a job for a while was it sucks really bad but you'll get through it. The tough times are in between jobs.

7 hours ago, AlexAlcala said:

i want to help you, but i am also having a bad time, all i can say is you are not alone and i can see you have people in your life who love you and will support you even on your worse moments. Just smile and enjoy the little things in life.

Remember, the only goal in this life is to be happy, search those things that will make you happy and hold on. i sent you a hug from mexico to canada :D

Thanks man. It's glad to know that someone 2 countries south can be going through some hard times but still keep going. I think it'll get over it after today when I talk to one of my managers to see if there's any chance to get my job back and prove myself worthy to them. The goal is to be happy, got you on that one. I just need to do what you said, search for the things that will make me happy and hold onto them. Also, hug back from Canada to Mexico xD

6 hours ago, Crosseyed Sniper said:

Life has it's ups and downs, that's just a part of it. Don't stress out over it. Stay positive and hang in there, Root_Temp! 

I know life has it's ups and downs, but its the downs that is the hardest to overcome. I'm trying to stay positive but its difficult.

5 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Loosing a job sucks, but now the door is wide open for you, with plenty of other opportunities to choose from. Some college will have career programs that lets you work with large tech companies. Might want to check them out if your college has it. While you don't want to touch your savings, first get rid of that credit debt.

I'll definitely have to check out the career programs at my college, hopefully they have a summer job or something. I'll also be doing that as I don't want credit debt. I got it from being careless with my credit card and now I'm having to pay it off slowly.

1 hour ago, TeeTruss said:

I just got laid off, Shit sucks real bad. Took me about a week to get over it, and many many drinks. Now I am back to looking for full time job while I head back to school full time. LA is a pricy place to live, esp that I got a new place to live this week.... Life sure does have it ups and downs, as long as you keep on keeping on it will all figure it self out. Again I understand the pain of losing a job. it sucks. Good luck buddy!

That sucks man. I heard LA is a pricy place to live. I don't know how long it'll take me to get over but I sure hope so it will take less than a week. Thanks man and good luck finding a job man.

I once had to accept a job paying 2$ an hour where we (the rest of the workers) had to split tips. It was hell, but thankfully there for me to even take. So I know it sucks and it is depressing, but there is always something available, you just can't give up! I also agree about the debt. Get rid of it as quickly as you can.

*also, you can even try online jobs/solutions like Sykes. I do believe they have a part time program for "at home".

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Students seem to have a strange way of making bad things to them work out, I lost my dad last year, 2 month later i landed my dream job, silver lining I suppose.

I have also been through almost the exact same as you (Except company screwed all new employees over), And of course no matter what its hard when you loose any job, all of a sudden loads of weight is on your shoulder.

You obviously have a set of skills or you wouldn't be in college, focus on what you want to do most, of course still look for jobs, but use this extra time to focus on what your end goal is, allow it to become a creative part of your life, and change you, I did and it was the best thing I ever did.

Your girlfriend sounds like a good one, she is supporting you which you may not have realised, is one of the best things to have, someone on side no matter what.

I used the time I was out of work to sharpen my skills and earn some cash on the side while I was at it.

You will more than likley think back one day and laugh at this, and find you where better off in a new job, hopefully one you enjoy!

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

How did you got yourself fired.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

• 4 weeks later...

I hope Root_Temp is doing well. Hasn't logged in since Feb. 19.

Be strong and hang in there, Root_Temp!