Help bypassing my firewall

TubsAlwaysWins

Im trying to make a minecraft server for some friends and I and I need help getting it to work. I dont understand to much, but a friend of mine said this: "I won't be able to see your address - you are firewalled. Also - the 192 address and others are "private" addreses and they don't route over the internet. You have to tell your firewall / router to map incoming traffic to your router to the static IP and Port address of your server." and "basically you have to know your router's PUBLIC address - and point folks to that plus the port number of your server. You have to program the firewall in the router to map that port address to the private address of the server."

Breaking things 1 day at a time

bigstock-On-Off-Switch-Shows-Energy-Sup-

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Go to this website: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm look for your router and follow the directions to port forward 25565 on your router. Then go to google and type in "What's my ip" and google will tell you your public facing IP, at that point you can then go to http://canyouseeme.org and put 25565 in, start your minecraft server and check if it can see the open port. Canyouseeme will only work while a service like Minecraft is running on port 25565.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Do you want to turn off the firewall or let a program through it?

If you to turn off type firewall into the search index of your OS or something

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Just now, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Do you want to turn off the firewall or let a program through it?

If you to turn off type firewall into the search index of your OS or something

I need a specific machine to not have the firewall (not sure if thay makes sense.) It is a MC server running MineOS and there isnt much you can do

1 minute ago, TubsAlwaysWIns said:

I need a specific machine to not have the firewall (not sure if thay makes sense.) It is a MC server running MineOS and there isnt much you can do

Since you said it is running MineOS, I have no idea what ports you would need to forward besides 25565, possibly 80 or 443 for HTTP and HTTPS since MineOS has a web interface IIRC but you would only need to forward those if you want to access the web interface remotely. Go to the MineOS website and check which ports you would need to forward, but use what I already posted for how to forward the port and how to connect and check if it is working or not.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

2 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWIns said:

Ok alright I'm pretty sure you are trying your best to explain this to me and I will interpret

So you want your firewall turned off on your machine so that you can run your MineOS and play with your friends on your minecraft server?  

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Just now, 1823alex said:

Since you said it is running MineOS, I have no idea what ports you would need to forward besides 25565, possibly 80 or 443 for HTTP and HTTPS since MineOS has a web interface IIRC but you would only need to forward those if you want to access the web interface remotely. Go to the MineOS website and check which ports you would need to forward, but use what I already posted for how to forward the port and how to connect and check if it is working or not.

I know 25565 is already forwarded.

Just now, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Ok alright I'm pretty sure you are trying your best to explain this to me and I will interpret

So you want your firewall turned off on your machine so that you can run your MineOS and play with your friends on your minecraft server?  

yes but only turned off on one machine, and when it is not in use i turn the machine off to not get hacked

I know 25565 is already forwarded.

Then what else are you asking for? Start your server and start playing on it, 25565 is the only port you need to forward.

Just now, 1823alex said:

Then what else are you asking for? Start your server and start playing on it, 25565 is the only port you need to forward.

The issue is I can play oi it but my friends can't (live in other places). I can because I am over LAN, they are not

The issue is I can play oi it but my friends can't (live in other places). I can because I am over LAN, they are not

Why are they unable to play, they don't know your IP, it's acting like it's not forwarded? Give us more info, you're practically talking gibberish and aren't giving enough information about the actual problem.

Just now, 1823alex said:

Why are they unable to play, they don't know your IP, it's acting like it's not forwarded? Give us more info, you're practically talking gibberish and aren't giving enough information about the actual problem.

Ok sorry. (networking isnt my strong side. I can plug stuff in and thats about it.) They know the IP. The friend I quoted does IT and networking is one of his stronger talents. He is busy right now so that is why i am here

3 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWIns said:

Ok sorry. (networking isnt my strong side. I can plug stuff in and thats about it.) They know the IP. The friend I quoted does IT and networking is one of his stronger talents. He is busy right now so that is why i am here

That's great that they know the IP... Again not sure the issue here, you said it was port forwarded they know the IP I don't see any issues here. Is your friend able to or unable to connect?

do you have a router between your PC and your modem?

or are you wired directly to your modem?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

do you have a router between your PC and your modem?

or are you wired directly to your modem?

I have a router. im not even sure we have a modem

2 minutes ago, 1823alex said:

That's great that they know the IP... Again not sure the issue here, you said it was port forwarded they know the IP I don't see any issues here. Is your friend able to or unable to connect?

Unable to connect. I might try again with him tomorrow. He was naming it wierd things like bob and it is supposed to be just an IP

Public or private IP? Private IPs are on your LAN like 192.168.1.55, 172.16.5.12, 10.55.32.67.

For your pc, since the server is on your LAN (I assume from your previous posts), you use the LAN IP of the minecraft server running MineOS (e.g.: 192.168.1.55:25565). For your friends over the Internet, you need to give them your public IP (check on your router's Internet IP and whatismyip.com; they must be the same) so they can connect to it. The router you have will need to forward port 25565 to the minecraft server's LAN IP.

8 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWIns said:

I have a router. im not even sure we have a modem

uh

the modem is the thing that connects to a phone or coaxial line and converts that into ethernet

so if thats what youre connected into then great

if youve already port forwarded all you need to do is go into your server properties text file and set the ip to the 192.168.whatever.whatever of your PC

the port is set on 25565 by default

your friends should automatically connect when they put "yourexternalip:25565" into the server ip in their game

your external ip is not the 192.168 one, it is this one: https://www.iplocation.net/find-ip-address

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, rEaGeNeReary said:

Public or private IP? Private IPs are on your LAN like 192.168.1.55, 172.16.5.12, 10.55.32.67.

For your pc, since the server is on your LAN (I assume from your previous posts), you use the LAN IP of the minecraft server running MineOS (e.g.: 192.168.1.55:25565). For your friends over the Internet, you need to give them your public IP (check on your router's Internet IP and whatismyip.com; they must be the same) so they can connect to it. The router you have will need to forward port 25565 to the minecraft server's LAN IP.

ok. SO if MineOS says server-port 25565 am i good to go with that? and Ill check the website

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

uh

the modem is the thing that connects to a phone or coaxial line and converts that into ethernet

so if thats what youre connected into then great

if youve already port forwarded all you need to do is go into your server properties text file and set the ip to the 192.168.whatever.whatever of your PC

the port is set on 25565 by default

your friends should automatically connect when they put "yourexternalip:25565" into the server ip in their game

your external ip is not the 192.168 one, it is this one: https://www.iplocation.net/find-ip-address

Ok so 2 questions: 1. How do i find the public IP of the other machine or is it the same as my desktops (i would assume it isnt) 2. Do i use the ip i already know (192.168.x.x) or do i put in the public one?

8 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWIns said:

ok. SO if MineOS says server-port 25565 am i good to go with that? and Ill check the website

Yes.

If your minecraft server and your PC is on the same LAN, they use the same public IP.

Just now, rEaGeNeReary said:

Yes.

If your minecraft server and your PC is on the same LAN, they use the same public IP.

awesome

4 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWIns said:

Ok so 2 questions: 1. How do i find the public IP of the other machine or is it the same as my desktops (i would assume it isnt) 2. Do i use the ip i already know (192.168.x.x) or do i put in the public one?

what other machine

there is only one machine, the one that has the server on it

if youre connecting to your server from a local network you use the 192.168 one, if you are connecting from outside your house (like yours friends) then you use the external one

Spoiler