Thunderbolt and multiple monitors

After the video where Linus puts the computers in a different room and uses a single thunderbolt connection to use as a connection between him and the computers, it got me thinking: How much can i display with a single thunderbolt connection.

My goal is to do something similar to get rid of the noise completely, but with more pixels. My idea was a setup with 3 monitors. the middle one being the Acer X34 and the two others being Acer XB270HU.

I know the newest version of thunderbolt can transfer 40Gbit/s but the implimentation in boards have been hard to find.

My question then is would a single Thunderbolt 3 cable be enough to power all of this? and if so, how would i go about wiring it all up, as it would probably require several hubs and i have not seen any ways of getting the data from the graphics cards to a single cable, like the PCIe card that was used in Linus' project. It is a hypothetical build so should i wait until the next gen come out?

(btw i only have one XB270HU at the moment so the choices were made very much because of this)

Thanks and much love

After the video where Linus puts the computers in a different room and uses a single thunderbolt connection to use as a connection between him and the computers, it got me thinking: How much can i display with a single thunderbolt connection.

My goal is to do something similar to get rid of the noise completely, but with more pixels. My idea was a setup with 3 monitors. the middle one being the Acer X34 and the two others being Acer XB270HU.

I know the newest version of thunderbolt can transfer 40Gbit/s but the implimentation in boards have been hard to find.

My question then is would a single Thunderbolt 3 cable be enough to power all of this? and if so, how would i go about wiring it all up, as it would probably require several hubs and i have not seen any ways of getting the data from the graphics cards to a single cable, like the PCIe card that was used in Linus' project. It is a hypothetical build so should i wait until the next gen come out?

(btw i only have one XB270HU at the moment so the choices were made very much because of this)

Thanks and much love

1 minute ago, Muhny said:

Thanks and much love

Reposting is against the rules here, it's going to be locked but I don't think the thunder bolt cable will work.  It might, but it could be buggy.

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

12 minutes ago, Muhny said:

Thanks and much love

It wouldn't be enough. Thunderbolt data isn't used for displays, it sends a DisplayPort signal over the Thunderbolt cable. Thunderbolt 3 only supports DisplayPort 1.2, which is only enough for a single X34 or XB270HU.

The only way to have multiple monitors from a single port anyway would be if the monitors had a DisplayPort/Thunderbolt output port for daisy-chaining, which none of those monitors have, or a DisplayPort/Thunderbolt hub. DisplayPort hubs exist for DP 1.2 but I don't think Thunderbolt 3 hubs even exist, and you'd still be limited to the data of a single DisplayPort connection.

So its just waiting and seeing then? bummer. I think Linus would have made an awesome video of this if it was possible. Engineers at Intel, get on it!

9 minutes ago, Marziman said:

Reposting is against the rules here, it's going to be locked but I don't think the thunder bolt cable will work.  It might, but it could be buggy.

Sorry, thought crossposting was ok since it includedd multiple topics.