Project: TooManyCores - Dual Xeon Workstation Build

Welcome to Project: TooManyCores.

Untitled.thumb.png.479310bb24ed604a4159d

I've decided that I want a computer with a stupid amount of cores. After much research, I decided that a dual CPU build was perfect for this project, since the 4-socket motherboards were either proprietary, or insanely expensive. I'll be using the parts listed down below:

CPU - 2x Intel Xeon e5-2675 v3 (Purchased!)

CPU COOLING - 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (Purchased!)

MOTHERBOARD - Asus Z10PE-D8 WS (Purchased!)

RAM - Crucial 16GB (8GB x 2) DDR4 ECC RDIMM (Purchased!)

POWER SUPPLY  - EVGA 1300G2 (Purchased!)

CASE - Corsair 900D (Purchased!)

SSD - OCZ Revodrive 3 240GB PCIe SSD (Purchased!)

HARD DRIVE - None yet, possible addition

VIDEO CARD - XFX R9 290x 8GB Model (Purchased!)

Updates will come along as soon as possible! I have been very busy with work recently. Of course, benchmarks will also be posted when the system is up and running! If you have recommendations for any benchmarks you would like to see, please let me know!

have fun with all them threads lol, folowed this because its insaine

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

have fun with all them threads lol, folowed this because its insaine

32 physical cores with hyperthreading... it's definitely insane haha

Just now, Sinakaru said:

32 cores with hyperthreading... it's definitely insane haha

64 threads is beyond my comprehention but if the rumors are right AMD will be making a 32 core processor tho :P

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Mandrewoid said:

Mostly curious as to what you're going to use this behemoth fors.

i guess rendering or running a load of vm's

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

5 minutes ago, Mandrewoid said:

Mostly curious as to what you're going to use this behemoth fors.

You know what, I'm actually not sure yet haha. This was more of a "just for shits n giggles" kind of build, and I had a lot of the parts just lying around already.

1 hour ago, Sinakaru said:

You know what, I'm actually not sure yet haha. This was more of a "just for shits n giggles" kind of build, and I had a lot of the parts just lying around already.

what. the. fuck. you just had $1000 or whatever to just throw at a PC... ok then

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

what. the. fuck. you just had $1000 or whatever to just throw at a PC... ok then

I already had most of the parts laying around, collecting dust since no one wanted to buy them. I also got the CPUs for a steal online, so they weren't too expensive anyway.

Just now, Sinakaru said:

I already had most of the parts laying around, collecting dust since no one wanted to buy them. I also got the CPUs for a steal online, so they weren't too expensive anyway.

ok then, were are there some more because id be up for an upgrade :P

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

ok then, were are there some more because id be up for an upgrade :P

Haha unfortunately not, as least not anything still working.

1 minute ago, Sinakaru said:

Haha unfortunately not, as least not anything still working.

awwww :( i want a 16 core Xeon lol

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, TheRandomness said:

TooManyCores can be abbreviated to TMC which also stands for Too Much Crap. xD

Perfect! Accurately describes my apartment's overflow of computer parts haha. xD

I'd rather have a 5820k at 5.5ghz(stay tuned in the build logs section) :P its around 20 'ghz*core' slower, but for single thread workloads, which still dominate the majority of what gets done, you can't beat that. . 

All that being said! A dual socket lga1366 motherboard with over clock able motherboard with matching six core xeons is available used in my area and its taking a lot of restraint to not pull the trigger on that lol... So I know where you're coming from op! But for me its all about the overlooking, and ever since Intel killed that on xeons, I've been :(

1 minute ago, Mandrewoid said:

I'd rather have a 5820k at 5.5ghz(stay tuned in the build logs section) :P its around 20 'ghz*core' slower, but for single thread workloads, which still dominate the majority of what gets done, you can't beat that. . 

All that being said! A dual socket lga1366 motherboard with over clock able motherboard with matching six core xeons is available used in my area and its taking a lot of restraint to not pull the trigger on that lol... So I know where you're coming from op! But for me its all about the overlooking, and ever since Intel killed that on xeons, I've been :(

5820k at 5.5GHz?? That sounds nearly impossible :o. There's always the option of BLCK overclocking on these Xeons, but I doubt I'd get anywhere with that

5 minutes ago, Sinakaru said:

5820k at 5.5GHz?? That sounds nearly impossible :o. There's always the option of BLCK overclocking on these Xeons, but I doubt I'd get anywhere with that

It may be impossible but I'm confident that I should be able to hit 5 with refrigeration cooling, or, since its Canada up here, just putting the radiator outside in  - 20 lol.  

You may be able to get 5% higher bclk, but does the motherboard even have that setting? I don't see why it would 

3 minutes ago, Mandrewoid said:

You may be able to get 5% higher bclk, but does the motherboard even have that setting? I don't see why it would 

It actually does! Asus has some neat little features on this board.

26 minutes ago, Mandrewoid said:

i want that, were do you live man and how much is it???!!! :3

Builds:

Spoiler

Now add 4 Xeon Phis. 51 cors each and they only cost 200$. They are usually much more expensive, there is one model intel produced way to much and now they are super cheap.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

4 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Now add 4 Xeon Phis. 51 cors each and they only cost 200$. They are usually much more expensive, there is one model intel produced way to much and now they are super cheap.

4 Xeon Phis (51 x 4) = 204 cores, plus 32 on the CPUs, that's 236 physical cores in one desktop computer. Freaking insane O.o

21 minutes ago, Sinakaru said:

4 Xeon Phis (51 x 4) = 204 cores, plus 32 on the CPUs, that's 236 physical cores in one desktop computer. Freaking insane O.o

i almot feel like you have to do that now because off how silly it is and for bragging rights, you can just go to a LAN or something and someone asks about your rig and you just go, "yah its not that good, only about 240 cores/ 400 something threads(i think those Phis have hyperthreading) not too impressive ongly *insert insaine Cinebench score here* in cinebench" THINK OF THE BRAGGING RIGHTS!! WONT SOMEONE THINK OF THE BRAGGING RIGHTS!!!

Builds:

Spoiler

Im still waiting to see something that can match my SR-2 using <12 cores / 24 threads (thats about all most applications use anyway, even "professional" ones)  32 cores is nice but it isn't very useful for demanding applications...

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions