Which Graphics card?

Jason_Tan_

I am building a computer and am not sure which graphics card I should use. I was originally going to get the gigabyte gtx 970, however recently found out about both the 3.5 gigs problem with the 970, and the amd radeon r9 390 outperforming the 970. Which one should I go with?

My computer components:

• Asus Z170- Deluxe
  • Intel core i7 6700k
  • Cryorig H5
  • RM Series RM650
  • WD Blue 1tb
  • Kingston 120 gb ssdnow

and either:

gtx 970 or r9 390

Here we go again...

Just get the cheapest one. But avoid the ASUS and GIGABYTE R9 390 models.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

970 and 390 is basically the same, buy the cheapest one that's respectable or fits your colour scheme. 

970 also comes with tomb raider so if you want tomb raider that's pretty good i guess

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

7 minutes ago, Jason_Tan_ said:

I am building a computer and am not sure which graphics card I should use. I was originally going to get the gigabyte gtx 970, however recently found out about both the 3.5 gigs problem with the 970, and the amd radeon r9 390 outperforming the 970. Which one should I go with?

My computer components:

• Asus Z170- Deluxe
  • Intel core i7 6700k
  • Cryorig H5
  • RM Series RM650
  • WD Blue 1tb
  • Kingston 120 gb ssdnow

and either:

gtx 970 or r9 390

r9 390

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Will the 8 gigs of vram help with future proofing? And if I do go with the r9 390, which brand has the best version? Is the 3.5g + 0.5g such a big problem?

1 minute ago, Jason_Tan_ said:

Will the 8 gigs of vram help with future proofing? And if I do go with the r9 390, which brand has the best version? Is the 3.5g + 0.5g such a big problem?

Sapphire for the R9 390. The 8gigs will be great in case you ever need to go 4k.

As for the 970 vram bollucks, that's not going to matter much but it does show once again that nVidia is getting really sketchy nowadays.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

3 minutes ago, Jason_Tan_ said:

Is the 3.5g + 0.5g such a big problem?

There is no problem, it doesn't exist

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

1 minute ago, ZetZet said:

There is no problem, it doesn't exist

It exists... Its basically fast 3.5gb + 500mb slow memory.... 

The circumstance where 3.5 isn't enough are few and far between, currently. 

Not really what you should base your decision off of unless it directly applies to something you intend to use it for - ie. fallout modding, etc. 

1 minute ago, Alexokan said:

The circumstance where 3.5 isn't enough are few and far between, currently. 

Not really what you should base your decision off of unless it directly applies to something you intend to use it for - ie. fallout modding, etc. 

Yup. 

I am not sure if this will help but I am aiming for a black and white color schemed build, will this make any difference? In terms of brands and of which card?

18 minutes ago, experiencednoob said:

It exists... Its basically fast 3.5gb + 500mb slow memory.... 

yes, but it's not an issue since it has no impact on performance

Spoiler

So, I will be building my computer for an everyday use computer, but also for gaming. If the 3.5 + 0.5 isnt a problem is the 970 better?

52 minutes ago, Jason_Tan_ said:

So, I will be building my computer for an everyday use computer, but also for gaming. If the 3.5 + 0.5 isnt a problem is the 970 better?

Most of the time the 390 will perform better, some games will perform better on the 970.

Skip to 8:20 for benchmarks.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

2 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

But avoid the ASUS and GIGABYTE R9 390 models.

Why is this?

11 minutes ago, Jason_Tan_ said:

Why is this?

They both run very hot, the best brand for a 390 is Sapphire.

They both run very hot, the best brand for a 390 is Sapphire.

Not the gigabyte g1 series right?

WHITE MIST

CPU: I7 6700K @ 4,7GHz 1,38V GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Strix @ 1568MHz RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 4x8GB 3200MHz CL16 MBO: MSI Krait gaming 3X Z170 PSU: Cooler Master VSM 750W CASE: Fractal Design Define S/window CPU COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 1,5TB Seagate Barracuda

PcPartPicker - White Mist

Vidox Production - Official page

1 hour ago, BrisoX said:

Not the gigabyte g1 series right?

I've seen it run at 80-85C°, while not hot for the core, it is in comparison to the 70-75C° of the Sapphire variant of the card.

If you willing to leave gpu at stock frequencies: 390 r9

If you like to oc get 970 

Avoid asus or gigabyte radeon's

Imo best sapphire

If you willing to leave gpu at stock frequencies: 390 r9

If you like to oc get 970 

Avoid asus or gigabyte radeon's

Imo best sapphire

I will oc for sure. And i have gigabyte g1 gaming version in shop. And linus said all good with that series

WHITE MIST

CPU: I7 6700K @ 4,7GHz 1,38V GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Strix @ 1568MHz RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 4x8GB 3200MHz CL16 MBO: MSI Krait gaming 3X Z170 PSU: Cooler Master VSM 750W CASE: Fractal Design Define S/window CPU COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 1,5TB Seagate Barracuda

39 minutes ago, BrisoX said:

I will oc for sure. And i have gigabyte g1 gaming version in shop. And linus said all good with that series

The Gigabyte R9 390s are voltage locked and have sub-par coolers.

So either grab a different model or a Gigabyte GTX 970 instead if you want to overclock.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Gigabyte and ASUS became lazy asses for the AMD Rx 300 series and used their new coolers for Nvidia cards thinking it would be able to dissipate the heat efficiently and perform silent operations when it didn't, both companies should've stuck to their Rx 200 series coolers as those were very effective in dissipating heat not to mention the lower fan noise. Get either MSI, XFX or Sapphire.

The Gigabyte R9 390s are voltage locked and have sub-par coolers.

So either grab a different model or a Gigabyte GTX 970 instead if you want to overclock.

Yea thought about gtx 970 g1version. Great oc potential

WHITE MIST