Microsoft does a U-Turn. Windows 8.1 available on TechNet and MSDNA subscribers

GoodBytes

Ar Technica reports that, Microsoft has announced that it is reversing it's decision in not offering Windows 8.1 to TechNet and MSDNA subscribers early. However, Microsoft does warn that the Windows 8.1 online infrastructure is still in development, and that all apps using it will not deliver the full and final experience. 

Microsoft has heard the response and has changed its mind. Its new policy is the old policy: MSDN and TechNet subscribers will get immediate access to Windows 8.1 for testing and development purposes. Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 will be available to download now, and volume license versions of Windows 8.1 will be made available by the end of September. The company does warn that it is continuing to develop the online services that Windows 8.1 uses, so the software will not deliver the full, final experience just yet.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/09/microsoft-relents-msdn-and-technet-will-get-windows-8-1-early-after-all/#p3

The incomplete online experience, might explain why they took this decision first to not have it available, as usually it's just to make sure things works well, and not continue to actually develop it. They probably thought that people will start reviewing Windows 8.1 early, and assume that nothing is working well for its app and features using Microsoft servers. In my opinion, it will be like all reviews of Windows from blog and news site: Rush a review out to be first, instead of taking time to learn it, and see how it works. So like all reviews, it will miss a chunk of features, anything that changed, will be considered that it no longer exists, while it just moved, and how impossible it is to use, and how it drops productivity... the same story every, single, time.

Does anyone know if there is an Upgrade Install for Windows 8 users? In my case I'm pretty eager to try out Windows 8, but I have a very specific and customized install/setup that  I'd rather avoid redoing if possible :P

Anyway, this is good news. Granted anyone could download the Preview, but it's good to see 8.1 full release going to TechNet and MSDN.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If your tweaks involved replacing Windows files (custom themes, for example), you have to make sure it works with Windows 8. Windows 7 files wont' work. And most likely you'll need to wait for 8.1 support, because the NT core was updated. So perhaps Microsoft updated  a bunch of system files as well.

The Preview is a very old build from now. It's unpolished, missing features (from what 8.1 is suppose to have), and some don't work properly.  it's stable and reliable. But it's shows it's Beta.

Well the only custom UI elements are just Classic Shell (Which I imagine I'll have to reinstall/update anyway once they release an 8.1 compliant version). But I made a custom install script that wrote users/ folder to my D drive (Mechanical HDD). I know I could just change the library locations, but with only a 128GB SSD, I didn't want the AppData folder to become too large. When I eventually switch to a 250GB+ SSD I'll probably switch back to standard install + moving library locations.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I have a 128GB SSD, and I have a nice set of large programs installed:

- Visual Studio 2010

- Visual Studio 2013 Beta

- Adobe Flash

- WebMatrix

- Office 2013

- Eclipse

- Java JDK

- Windows SDK

of course i have the usual rest, like everyone

And in fact I have my files too on it, as it's on my laptop, and don't have another space for a drive.

I have 16GB worth of personal data/project. This includes AppData content and Temp directory which I haven't cleaned up.

47GB of Windows + all programs. Oh and 11.8GB System Image backup that I have done with Windows 8.

I have 34.6GB free.

I wonder, does this apply for students with Dreamspark?  Or is the 8.1 preview on Dreamspark the same preview we've had for a while?

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I wonder, does this apply for students with Dreamspark?  Or is the 8.1 preview on Dreamspark the same preview we've had for a while?

So far it's not there. I don't know if it takes a few days to show up, as normal, or it wont' be there.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this to say that Windows 8.1 is indeed on Dreamspark.

dream.png

So that's yet another free Windows key to add to my collection. ;)

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Going to grab it while I still have access to dreamspark. I should still have access to it through my old university as well, making it 2 copies. Yay.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I have a 128GB SSD, and I have a nice set of large programs installed:

- Visual Studio 2010

- Visual Studio 2013 Beta

- Adobe Flash

- WebMatrix

- Office 2013

- Eclipse

- Java JDK

- Windows SDK

of course i have the usual rest, like everyone

And in fact I have my files too on it, as it's on my laptop, and don't have another space for a drive.

I have 16GB worth of personal data/project. This includes AppData content and Temp directory which I haven't cleaned up.

47GB of Windows + all programs. Oh and 11.8GB System Image backup that I have done with Windows 8.

I have 34.6GB free.

I know that feel. Wouldn't it be great if 1TB SSDs cost as much as a 1TB HDD?  :D

I know that feel. Wouldn't it be great if 1TB SSDs cost as much as a 1TB HDD?  :D

We can only dream. :)