WiFi and SSD Questions....

ion529
Go to solution Solved by Bittenfleax,
Just now, ion529 said:

Sweet Solved (It doesn't btw) Thanks for putting up with me for half an hour ;)

Haha it's fine. 

Two question for you today....

1. My friend lives out in the sticks and for those of you who aren't Irish that means the countryside. I don't think he lives really deep in the countryside but just enough so that he randomly gets issues where his ping gets up to 999, this happens in all online games aswell as on skype. Is there anything he can do that might help the issue.

2. Same friend recently got some money and he wants to upgrade a few things in his PC, If he buys a 240GB SSD will he have to buy a new copy of windows to put on that SSD or can he just move it from his 1TB HDD over to the SSD?

Current Build: CPU - AMD 5800K 4.2GHz w/ Stock Cooler :( | Motherboard - ASRock FM82A88 Extreme 4 Plus | Memory - Crucial 8GB Single Stick 1600MHz | GPU - AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB | Storage - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM

Project: Just let me play Black Ops... PLEASE!!! - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/ion529/saved/#view=VKm9TW

1.Use ping plotter to manage and view packet loss.

2.He can just transfer the OS over onto the SSD using software. I use HDClone. But it requires a USB bootable drive or a disc to burn the ISO to.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

1 minute ago, Bittenfleax said:

1.Use ping plotter to manage and view packet loss.

2.He can just transfer the OS over onto the SSD using software. I use HDClone. But it requires a USB bootable drive or a disc to burn the ISO to.

Alright i'll get him to do that and as for the OS how big does the USB have to be and what is an ISO? :P

Current Build: CPU - AMD 5800K 4.2GHz w/ Stock Cooler :( | Motherboard - ASRock FM82A88 Extreme 4 Plus | Memory - Crucial 8GB Single Stick 1600MHz | GPU - AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB | Storage - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM

Project: Just let me play Black Ops... PLEASE!!! - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/ion529/saved/#view=VKm9TW

3 minutes ago, ion529 said:

Two question for you today....

1. My friend lives out in the sticks and for those of you who aren't Irish that means the countryside. I don't think he lives really deep in the countryside but just enough so that he randomly gets issues where his ping gets up to 999, this happens in all online games aswell as on skype. Is there anything he can do that might help the issue.

2. Same friend recently got some money and he wants to upgrade a few things in his PC, If he buys a 240GB SSD will he have to buy a new copy of windows to put on that SSD or can he just move it from his 1TB HDD over to the SSD?

1: Contact ISP, or offer more information about his internet connection (Wifi, wired, other users....)

2: he can clone the partition if it is less than 240gb otherwise or he will have to reinstall it. I would recommend doing a fresh install, but a new key is not needed if he has one. If the key is installed on the motherboard by the manufacturer you probably won't be able to reuse it. My dell came with win 8 installed and with a program to read the key from the motherboard I was refused a download by microsoft as it was an OEM key

2 minutes ago, ybriK said:

1. Use Ethernet cable, if they can't use an powerline adapter, something similar to this.

http://www.dlink.com.au/home-solutions/powerline-av500-passthrough-network-starter-kit

2. He can migrate his OS + files to the new SSD as long as it's less than 240GB. But it's better to have a fresh installation.

My mistake he just told me he is using an eithernet cable. Just out of interest why less than 240GB?

Just now, ion529 said:

My mistake he just told me he is using an eithernet cable. Just out of interest why less than 240GB?

Because if his OS + files are more than 240GB then you can't fit it in the SSD.

1 minute ago, ion529 said:

Alright i'll get him to do that and as for the OS how big does the USB have to be and what is an ISO? :P

If he has a windows cd he can use that, generally the iso are 3-5 gb large

2 minutes ago, ion529 said:

Just big enough to put on the ISO. It can be found here: https://www.miray.de/products/sat.hdclone.html

Warning, the free version is fairly slow compared to paid. So I would kick it off in the morning and wait until later. But then again if it is only 240GB or less it should not be a problem. (NOTE: he can only have 240GB on his 1TB drive to move accross. He could save some data on an external device)

EDIT:

Just read peoples stuff after writing this, I would recommend a fresh install as well. (Due to data needing to be deleted to use HDClone) He does not have to, it will be easier though. Then he can move the things he wants from the 1TB drive after Windows is on the SSD, then completely wipe the 1TB.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

1 minute ago, chicksoup said:

1: Contact ISP, or offer more information about his internet connection (Wifi, wired, other users....)

2: he can clone the partition if it is less than 240gb otherwise or he will have to reinstall it. I would recommend doing a fresh install, but a new key is not needed if he has one. If the key is installed on the motherboard by the manufacturer you probably won't be able to reuse it. My dell came with win 8 installed and with a program to read the key from the motherboard I was refused a download by microsoft as it was an OEM key

As for more information i'll try get that and basically if he custom built his PC he should still have the key?

Just now, ion529 said:

As for more information i'll try get that and basically if he custom built his PC he should still have the key?

He most likely got it as a plain key to download the iso from microsoft or a cd

Just big enough to put on the ISO. It can be found here: https://www.miray.de/products/sat.hdclone.html

Warning, the free version is fairly slow compared to paid. So I would kick it off in the morning and wait until later. But then again if it is only 240GB or less it should not be a problem. (NOTE: he can only have 240GB on his 1TB drive to move accross. He could save some data on an external device)

Well is it possible to move across just the OS and some applications or would we be better off just taking the OS and reinstalling his games?

Just now, ion529 said:

Well is it possible to move across just the OS and some applications or would we be better off just taking the OS and reinstalling his games?

What I did is install a fresh OS on my SSD. And kept my old 1TB as it is with all my old games on it. I can still run the games from my old 1TB drive without needing to re-install them. There will just be all the Windows files on the old drive you might want to delete. (I did not bother because I got 3 drives now).

Just now, Bittenfleax said:

What I did is install a fresh OS on my SSD. And kept my old 1TB as it is with all my old games on it. I can still run the games from my old 1TB drive without needing to re-install them. There will just be all the Windows files on the old drive you might want to delete. (I did not bother because I got 3 drives now).

Yea I asked him but he says he probably won't have enough money to buy a 240GB ssd, a Hyper 212 Evo and a new OS. SO is it possible to clone a section of the drive?

Yea I asked him but he says he probably won't have enough money to buy a 240GB ssd, a Hyper 212 Evo and a new OS. SO is it possible to clone a section of the drive?

He does not need a new OS. Just the key from the old when when re-installing onto the SSD. If he does not have the key, reduce the 1TB drive down to 240GB and use HDClone to copy the OS over.

He does not need a new OS. Just the key from the old when when re-installing onto the SSD. If he does not have the key, reduce the 1TB drive down to 240GB and use HDClone.

So if he has the key he can install windows onto two drives, does that mean he could take one drive out and use it in another computer that hasn't got an OS? How many times can you do that? Sorry for my noobishness :P

Just now, ion529 said:

So if he has the key he can install windows onto two drives, does that mean he could take one drive out and use it in another computer that hasn't got an OS? How many can you do that? Sorry for my noobishness :P

lol, it is fine. We all have to learn from somewhere. You can only have 1 key activated at a time. So I believe once he activates it on the 240GB the 1TB will be unlicensed. But one thing to check is that the key he has is an OEM key. If it is, it cannot be transferred. To find this out go to Start > Computer (Right Click) > Properties > Scroll to bottom and there you will see a key. If it has "OEM" in the key it cannot be used. (NOTE THIS IS NOT THE WINDOWS ACTIVATION KEY). However, my friend had an OEM and managed to use it on two PC's. (Not sure how, but we did it). 

4 minutes ago, Bittenfleax said:

lol, it is fine. We all have to learn from somewhere. You can only have 1 key activated at a time. So I believe once he activates it on the 240GB the 1TB will be unlicensed. But one thing to check is that the key he has is an OEM key. If it is, it cannot be transferred. To find this out go to Start > Computer (Right Click) > Properties > Scroll to bottom and there you will see a key. If it has "OEM" in the key it cannot be used. (NOTE THIS IS NOT THE WINDOWS ACTIVATION KEY). However, my friend had an OEM and managed to use it on two PC's. (Not sure how, but we did it). 

I'm slighty lost, windows 10 makes everything so hard to find, is it located in the control panel?

I'm slighty lost, windows 10 makes everything so hard to find, is it located in the control panel?

On Windows 8.1 my path is: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System

On the start icon, search for "System". It should come up as a control panel item. (Not used Windows 10 before for a long time so not 100% sure but should be around there).

5 minutes ago, Bittenfleax said:

On Windows 8.1 my path is: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System

On the start icon, search for "System". It should come up as a control panel item. (Not used Windows 10 before for a long time so not 100% sure but should be around there).

Is that it?

Screenshot (18).png

Is that it?

Yeah, if the Key has OEM in it, then it cannot be used. 

Yeah, if the Key has OEM in it, then it cannot be used. 

The product ID or the Key?

Just now, ion529 said:

The product ID or the Key?

Product ID. My bad.

Product ID. My bad.

Just now, ion529 said:

Haha it's fine.