Would it be fine to build a case entierly out of lego?

If I were to build a case entirely from Lego (or any plastic), except for a metal plate for the motherboard and just say it had no heating problems. Would it be okay?

2 minutes ago, Secretly Irish said:

If I were to build a case entirely from Lego (or any plastic), except for a metal plate for the motherboard and just say it had no heating problems. Would it be okay?

As long as you keep the thermals under control it will be fine. Also as long as you don't drop your PC lol.

Well, heating is the thing to worry about mostly :P But otherwise you're thinking about static electricity or something? Dont think that should be a problem.

But about the heating, be sure to have good airflow so the heat doesn't get trapped inside.

I think someone on this forum made a LEGO PC case, but I really can't remember who.. (otherwise I would have tagged him). Do remember the guy who made a cardboard box PC and also remember the K'Nex case PC though :P 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yeah just make it first, double check fitment, and glue the thing together so it doesn't fall apart.

Just now, Minibois said:

Well, heating is the thing to worry about mostly :P But otherwise you're thinking about static electricity or something? Dont think that should be a problem.

But about the heating, be sure to have good airflow so the heat doesn't get trapped inside.

I think someone on this forum made a LEGO PC case, but I really can't remember who.. (otherwise I would have tagged him). Do remember the guy who made a cardboard box PC and also remember the K'Nex case PC though :P 

Well I seen the cardboard fed-x case on one of linuss vids. And since then I've ordered a fuckton of lego.

id consider gluing it tbh if the event of something falling on it or somehting

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

4 minutes ago, Secretly Irish said:

If so go for solid state storage only, if you do want to use HDDs tho get some sort of foam or rubber gromits to limit vibrations :D

Otherwise should be fine and sounds cool! :P

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Yeah just make it first, double check fitment, and glue the thing together so it doesn't fall apart.

Stupid question: Can i use sound damping foam to limit vibration?

1 minute ago, Secretly Irish said:

Well I seen the cardboard fed-x case on one of linuss vids. And since then I've ordered a fuckton of lego.

Be sure to make a build log on the forum by the way! Would love to see this some time.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Well if you want to know if the LEGO will be able to handle the heat... just put a few on a baking sheet, set your Oven to 170˚F / 75˚C (essentially the "keep warm" option on my oven), and then watch it for an hour. If it doesn't melt, you're good.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

Well if you want to know if the LEGO will be able to handle the heat... just put a few on a baking sheet, set your Oven to 170˚F / 75˚C (essentially the "keep warm" option on my oven), and then watch it for an hour. If it doesn't melt, you're good.

Thanks dude! I was thinking of building the case larg but not as large as a full tower.

5 minutes ago, Minibois said:

@totalgeek I found this thread: 

and this website: http://www.totalgeekdom.com/?page_id=1694

It would be pretty darn difficult to pull off, it would also be abit 
of a fire hazard, obviously fragile aswell. But aside from those
downsides, i don't see why not. 

9 minutes ago, Secretly Irish said:

It's been done so yeah.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Just Googled and saw @linuxnutcase on the forum made a LEGO PC, you could send him a PM to maybe get some tips on it: 

5 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Hypothetically, and entirely, no. Mostly because there's the worry of actual motherboard standoffs.

And thats why I'm putting a back plate to the motherboard.

As long as you don't step on it and die of eternal pain it should be fine

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

If you wanna go 100% lego you could always get custom made pieces to hold the motherboard spacer things

3 minutes ago, Secretly Irish said:

Thanks dude! I was thinking of building the case larg but not as large as a full tower.

According to the info I found online....

• ABS maximum temperature is 80°C (176°F) and melt at 105°C (221°F)
  • Polycarbonate plastic used for transparent bricks melt at 267°C (512.6°F)

Meaning as long as the internal PC temperature is kept under 70˚C, with proper ventilation, it should be fine. Because even if the GPU/CPU can reach that 80˚C easily, the ambient air inside the case isn't that hot when you have proper airflow.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yeah, outside of that, there'd be worries of drive bays, but that's really it.

Was thinking of making the drive bays out of Lego and shock absorbing material. Got any tips on that?

Just now, TetraSky said:

According to the info I found online....

Meaning as long as the internal PC temperature is kept under 70˚C, with proper ventilation, it should be fine. Because even if the GPU/CPU can reach that 80˚C easily, the ambient air inside the case isn't that hot when you have proper airflow.

I'm actualy doing this for two reasons, I can customis where my fans go aaannnddd it just looks BA!

8 minutes ago, Secretly Irish said:

Stupid question: Can i use sound damping foam to limit vibration?

Not really, no. The bricks themselves will rattle, that's another reason why you would want to glue them together.