which graphics card is the king of 1080p gaming?

Yakamaru

i definitely want to purchase a gpu that can max out my games at 1080p.

but lets say i get my gpu and start playing battlefield 4 and my frame rates are in the 80-100 range,

am i going to want to buy a 144hz monitor to get the full potential from my gpu?

thanks for any responses

Gtx 970 all the way.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

11 hours ago, eLucid said:

Gtx 970 all the way.

am i just limiting my build with a 60hz monitor though?

3 minutes ago, Yakamaru said:

i definitely want to purchase a gpu that can max out my games at 1080p.

but lets say i get my gpu and start playing battlefield 4 and my frame rates are in the 80-100 range,

am i going to want to buy a 144hz monitor to get the full potential from my gpu?

thanks for any responses

It depends on how much You can spend on You'r GPU? But I will also stay with 970. MSI GeForce 970 Gaming 4G seems like a pretty good deal.

2 minutes ago, Yakamaru said:

I would also say 970, but since you are limited to 60hz i would say the gtx 960 4g. (i speak from experience, it's in my current rig) 

MAIN RIG | AMD R7 1800x @ 4.0GHz [cooled by Corsair h110i] | Zotac 1070 founders | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8gb |
| ASUS crosshair IV hero | Samsung 960 evo m.2 | Seagate 1TB + WD blue 2TB| Corsair HX750i | Phanteks evlov atx TG |
LAPTOP | HP zbook Workstation | Intel i7-4710 HQ @ 2.5GHz | 8gb ram | NVIDIA Quadro k1100m | 250gb + 250gb Crucial SSDs |

980ti 

Magical Pineapples

i mean a new monitor is on the chopping block aswell for my wish list of pc stuff. it will just a few months down the road before i can buy a new monitor probably. 

people say once you go 144hz you never go back. just wondering how true that will hold up when i follow through with a newer monitor paired with a good gpu

7 minutes ago, eLucid said:

Gtx 970 all the way.

Have fun running tomb raider on ultra with that. 

Magical Pineapples

9 minutes ago, Yakamaru said:

Depends on what games you intend on playing. Are you a competitive gamer or casual?

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

1 minute ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Optimization issues. The GTX 970 kills at 1080p gaming. GTX 980ti at 1080p is flat out stupid.

blackshades on

12 hours ago, eLucid said:

Depends on what games you intend on playing. Are you a competitive gamer or casual?

pretty casual, this is my first pc build, i just dont wanna still be stuck 3 years behind on pc technology like i have my entire life

Just now, Reece Leu said:

Optimization issues. The GTX 970 kills at 1080p gaming. GTX 980ti at 1080p is flat out stupid.

Stop making me want 4k.

In all seriousness, I'm glad I didn't hop for Tomb Raider the moment it came out. After waiting it's a bit better I believe, but there's still some issues.

CPU i5 4670k
 Motherboard MSI Z87 MPOWER 
RAM DDR3, 16GB

GPU XFX R9 390x

Case Raidmax Vampire (Soon to be MasterCase Pro 5)

Storage WD10EZEX-00KUWA0

PSU EVGA 220-G2-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750W

Display(s) LG 29UM67 (Ultrawide 29in)

Keyboard HAVIT HV-KB380L

Mouse Redragon Perdition

Sound Extremely old, deliciously sexy Harman Kardons

Operating System W10, VMs of El Capitan, W7, WXP, and Unix

6 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

One game!

IZAnb9Y.gif

You know he doesn't have to run ultra settings, right? What other card would you suggest that wouldn't be complete overkill for 95% of the games out there at 1080p? Brilliant logic...

the thing about ultra settings is that these days it often isn't worth it. The difference between high and ultra settings has become harder to see with the naked eye but it will often take a big performance hit in many games... Diminishing returns.

12 hours ago, Humbug said:

the thing about ultra settings is that these days it often isn't worth it. The difference between high and ultra settings has become harder to see with the naked eye but it will often take a big performance hit in many games... Diminishing returns.

now that i think about it, i guess your right!

13 minutes ago, Yakamaru said:

pretty casual, this is my first pc build, i just dont wanna still be stuck 3 years behind on pc technology like i have my entire life

Since you're casual, 60hz will be fine. In the future, you can always make the jump to 120-144hz if you wanted without any problems.

390 will be more future proof, depending on how long you want to keep the card. It's also better in nearly every benchmark.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

R9 390 - about 5% better performance than a 970 and also has vastly superior DX12 performance and more VRAM which WILL be needed as there already games that push past 4GB on max settings.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, EarthboundHero said:

390 will be more future proof, depending on how long you want to keep the card. It's also better in nearly every benchmark.

No, not really. Stop spreading misinformation. Fact is they pretty much trade blows, or are very close.

With that said, get whatever is cheaper.

1 minute ago, eLucid said:

No, not really. Stop spreading misinformation. Fact is they pretty much trade blows, or are very close.

With that said, get whatever is cheaper.

I didn't say it was much better, but the fact is that the 390 is better in a MOST benchmarks. The 390 is 90% of the time, the better choice.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

970 and 390. A year ago it was just the 970. 

The real winners are still the 290/x.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case