Seagate unveils 500GB Ultra Mobile hard drive for Android tablets

Wow, they are just getting smaller and smaller

Source:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/09/seagate-preps-500gb-ultra-mobile-hard-drive-for-android-tablets

Edited by Ethnod
Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Still not convinced - hard drives in rough and tumble applications? 

holy crap, but where do you put it?

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

Still not convinced - hard drives in rough and tumble applications? 

tbh I dont think it will work but its the tech I like. However, like you said, HDD in a mobile platform like a tablet? Something that people regularly flop down on tables or throw on to couches??? :/

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I really like this, and I hope we could see tablets which use this hdd. I have a early Archos tablet,which have a 500GB 2.5" hdd in it. It's slow, and the battery time sucks, which for most of the time I need to connect it with an external battery. But I like it, becoz I can put a lot of movies in it, which is great when you are traveling, and it's great if you are in a area which wifi is not available. Most tablets nowadays use micro-sd card as external storage, which is good, but you may lose the card as it is so smaller, and the volume of the card is not that large compare with traditional hdds. And yes, you can use a wireless hard drive, but it means you need to carry another item, which could be a problem sometimes, depends on the size and weight of those wireless hdds.

Nowadays we have 10"+ tablets,which i think it is possible to put a hdd like this in it. I don't think if the tablet is a bit thicker and heavier, and battery time is down a little bit. I think with this hdd I think it could make the tablet a great travel companion. 

Well for that reason I want SSD tech to get cheaper as I want to buy an Archos (or what ever) 1TB unit about the size of my wallet so I can carry around tonnes of stuff :D

Well for that reason I want SSD tech to get cheaper as I want to buy an Archos (or what ever) 1TB unit about the size of my wallet so I can carry around tonnes of stuff :D

Actually in the early days I read someone replace a 500GB hdd in the Archos tablet that I own with a 750GB hdd, and it works. So I think ssd could be possibility be a good option.

Oh I'm sure you can but for the same reasons windspeed was saying HDD tech in a portable device is not the tesch use of that tech tbh. However SSD's would be good. Hence me wanting a portable device like an Archos with a 1 (or even 2.... maybe 4? :D) TB SSD in it

Oh I'm sure you can but for the same reasons windspeed was saying HDD tech in a portable device is not the tesch use of that tech tbh. However SSD's would be good. Hence me wanting a portable device like an Archos with a 1 (or even 2.... maybe 4?  :D) TB SSD in it

Since Samsung 840 evo is out , maybe i should swap the 500GB in my ancient Archos tablet with the Samsung SSD? 

This is pretty cool. But a moving hard drive in a tablet seems like a bad combination imo. Waiting to see some durability tests on tablets that are equipped with this. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Really don't see a HDD catching on in the tablet form factor. I believe in the next 2-3 years HDDs will be phased out and will no longer be used as much. Can't wait for larger SSDs to get cheaper, so we can stop using slow HDDs.

Back from the dead....

Really don't see a HDD catching on in the tablet form factor. I believe in the next 2-3 years HDDs will be phased out and will no longer be used as much. Can't wait for larger SSDs to get cheaper, so we can stop using slow HDDs.

2-3 years, more like 2-3 decades man. Cheap is always king, SSD's are expensive to make and even if its cheaper HHD's will be cheaper for some time to come. Do I think that SSD's will take over, for sure. But in 2-3 years, nope. tbh we would need some other tech to come in and take over from SSD's for the prices of SSD's to drop that much. Currently their speed is at a premium and while they will drop, they will only drop so far. Until there is another tech there that is significantly faster where a premium can be charged for that speed the prices of SSD's will only drop so far and hence HHD's will be around until then

But we can dream, right? :)

2-3 years, more like 2-3 decades man. Cheap is always king, SSD's are expensive to make and even if its cheaper HHD's will be cheaper for some time to come. Do I think that SSD's will take over, for sure. But in 2-3 years, nope. tbh we would need some other tech to come in and take over from SSD's for the prices of SSD's to drop that much. Currently their speed is at a premium and while they will drop, they will only drop so far. Until there is another tech there that is significantly faster where a premium can be charged for that speed the prices of SSD's will only drop so far and hence HHD's will be around until then

But we can dream, right? :)

There is a tech  in between SSDs and HDDs. Its a hybrid drive with a very large cache and a regular sized HDD combined

Back from the dead....

There is a tech  in between SSDs and HDDs. Its a hybrid drive with a very large cache and a regular sized HDD combined

No, you pick me up wrong. What I was saying is that until there is something dramatically faster than SSD tech things wont change that much

If they can find room to fit this in a tablet then they have no excuse not to put a normal SSD in a tabet.