Directional Speakers

Hi,

So I posted this

I was looking for headphones that you don't feel and let you perceive your environment; I would get the same results with a speaker that only blasts sound in one direction. All I found were some demos on youtube. Any consumer-friendly versions of such speakers out there?

I have never seen consumer speakers that were directional

They're not really meant to be

How about just using speakers but putting them close to your head?

or use open-back headphones, those let you hear your environment just fine

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I just can't wear anything on my ears for longer than an hour, no matter how comfortable other people consider it to be.

It shouldn't be heard by anyone that's more than 2m away

2 hours ago, Penta said:

It shouldn't be heard by anyone that's more than 2m away

well that is not something you can do with speakers unless you have them playing at really low volume so you can barely hear what comes out of themthe speakers that are most directional are studio monitors but they will still fill the hole room with sound.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

During my search I found things like the audio-spotlight and speaker-shower, there just doesn't seem to be any options to buy those things.

19 minutes ago, Penta said:

During my search I found things like the audio-spotlight and speaker-shower, there just doesn't seem to be any options to buy those things.

well audio-spotlight cost 2000€

http://shop.sundsound.dk/shop/eng/audio-spotlight-system-953p.html

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

On 2/13/2016 at 2:54 AM, Penta said:

I just can't wear anything on my ears for longer than an hour, no matter how comfortable other people consider it to be.

What are you basing this on? How many different headphones and pads have you tried? I have sensitive ears too. It took a while, but I did find something that works for me. I can't stand anything resting on my ears, so I need large diameter pads that are also quite thick. Alpha Pads were the answer. For your application, I'd suggest open headphones with large pads that don't contact your ears at all.