I'm a Floridian going to NYC this weekend. How do I survive the weather?

roboplex22

So since LTT is Canadian, I thought this would be the perfect place to ask questions about winter (yes I have my stereotypes in check xD). I live in the Orlando area, and I'm going to New York City and New Haven, Connecticut this weekend for a few doctor visits. It's being said that the cold this weekend could break records for New York. In FL, we usually only break records for heat. The forecast for where my hotel is at is a high of 14 (Fahrenheit), low of -6. Where I am now it's at 73 high, 52 low. The wind chills are at -20 to -30. How do I deal with that weather? I bought a pretty thick Columbia jacket, and have like 3 sweaters I could layer up with. Not sure about pants though. I've got like 4 pairs of jeans, but I'm not sure if those would be good enough. I bought a thick hat, and some gloves. Is that good? Also, can anyone give some tips on how to drive in these (probably icy/snow) conditions? I haven't ever driven in snow or ice before, and I'm pretty scared about it. Especially through NYC traffic/roads.

Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz | Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC MATE | GPU: MSI R9 270x | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury Red | Storage: ADATA SP600 128GB / WD Blue 1TB | PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ | Monitor: Acer S220HQL Abd 21.5" | Audio: Logitech Z213 Speakers | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma | PCPartPicker Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v8FNmG

Bring lots of warm clothes and stash lots of water, blankets and food (and kitty litter, flashlights, batteries + a shovel) in your car just in case you get stuck or something. And please do not drive if the snow or roads are really bad (like white outs = don't drive). Period. I mean it isn't worth risking your life for, is it? Just know speed is your enemy in such conditions, and go really slow (or rather accelerate and decelerate slowly) if you can and lastly do not panic (or fight against it) if you slide/skid. Doing so will only make it worse.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

20 hours ago, Albatross said:

Bring lots of warm clothes and stash lots of water, blankets and food (and kitty litter, flashlights, batteries + a shovel) in your car just in case you get stuck or something. And please do not drive if the snow or roads are really bad (like white outs = don't drive). Period. I mean it isn't worth risking your life for, is it? Just know speed is your enemy in such conditions, and go really slow (or rather accelerate and decelerate slowly) if you can and lastly do not panic (or fight against it) if you slide/skid. Doing so will only make it worse.

basically this and please warm that wind chill is dangerous, start your car 15 to 20 minutes ahead , try to keep as little skin exposed as possible.

im a northern Minnesotan who takes public transportation so trust me that weather suck to travel in

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |