Don't know what to do.

technoob1

Okay, so a while back (in 2013 not 2011) I bought an Acer Aspire XC-605 and I wanted to upgrade it for games.

I have an Intel Core i5-4440 CPU @3.10GHz,

My motherboard is an MS-7869 VER: 1.0,

PC came with 6GB of ram.

I am pretty tight on cash so i asked my friend if he had any extra graphics cards and he gave me his old MSI R7770. I tried to put it in my computer and it booted, but the screen said "no signal". The problem is either that my motherboard has only PCI 16x 1.0 and that the GPU uses PCI 16x 3.0, or my CPU just doesn't support it.

Now here is my question: What do I do? buy a new motherboard that has a PCI 16x 3.0 slot (if so, where should I look), or do I look for a new CPU or GPU?

My budget is from $0-200 CAD. Please help.

EDIT: The GPU didn't originally fit in my computer, so I had to swap out the case with an older case that was big enough to fit the card.

Edited by technoob1

Slot supports it, CPU supports it, are you sure you're plugged in to the right thing? Did you even plug the power cable in for the GPU? Lastly, your CPU is fine, you wouldn't need to upgrade it for quite a while.

4 minutes ago, technoob1 said:

Okay, so a while back (around 2011) I bought an Acer Aspire XC-605 and I wanted to upgrade it for games.

I have an Intel Core i5-4440 CPU @3.10GHz,

My motherboard is an MS-7869 VER: 1.0,

PC came with 6GB of ram.

I am pretty tight on cash so i asked my friend if he had any extra graphics cards and he gave me his old MSI R7770. I tried to put it in my computer and it booted, but the screen said "no signal". The problem is either that my motherboard has only PCI 16x 1.0 and that the GPU uses PCI 16x 3.0, or my CPU just doesn't support it.

Now here is my question: What do I do? buy a new motherboard that has a PCI 16x 3.0 slot (if so, where should I look), or do I look for a new CPU?

My budget is from $0-200 CAD. Please help.

Did you plug your display cables in the motherboard or the GPU?

@pokechat8978 I plugged it into the GPU. My monitor supports VGA and DVI but the card needs a DVI cable, so I used that.

2 hours ago, technoob1 said:

@AlwaysFSX Yes, I have plugged in everything.

Does the graphics card work in a different system?