Looking for a PSU, Seasonic?

martward
Go to solution Solved by don_svetlio,

M12II EVO is a fantastic PSU. Highly advise getting it

520W is more than enough - it's around double what you need

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a new PSU for my rig (see spoiler). What I am looking for is:

- Enough W (ofcourse)

- As modular as possible (probably want white sleeved cables)

- At least 80+ bronze

- Not too expensive (in the Netherlands)

- No ugly stickers on the top

I have come across the Seasonic M12II Evo 520W and it has all of the features above, so I was wondering weather anyone knows a reason not to buy this, and whether 520W is enough. I currently have a 750W PSU, since I was planning to crossfire when I bought it (which I never did). The reason I'm not sure is that I might want to upgrade to a different graphics card at some point in the feature (probably a 970/390 ish card).

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

Just now, martward said:

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a new PSU for my rig (see spoiler). What I am looking for is:

- Enough W (ofcourse)

- As modular as possible (probably want white sleeved cables)

- At least 80+ bronze

- Not too expensive (in the Netherlands)

- No ugly stickers on the top

I have come across the Seasonic M12II Evo 520W and it has all of the features above, so I was wondering weather anyone knows a reason not to buy this, and whether 520W is enough. I currently have a 750W PSU, since I was planning to crossfire when I bought it (which I never did). The reason I'm not sure is that I might want to upgrade to a different graphics card at some point in the feature (probably a 970/390 ish card).

corsair has the rm 750

may be overkill, but they are damn reliable and have the fanless mode

M12II EVO is a fantastic PSU. Highly advise getting it

520W is more than enough - it's around double what you need

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

The Evga 500b seems quite viable though it isnt modular.

SYSTEM: CPU-i5-6600k GPU-EVGA Titan X SC MOBO-Asus Z170-A SOUND CARD-Asus Xonar Essence STX RAM-16GB HyperX Fury 2133 DDR4 COOLER-CoolerMaster Hyper T4 WIFI-Asus PCE-AC68 

Can't go far wrong with Seasonic mate. One of the best if not the best PSU manufacturer.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

you cant go wrong with any of these

Corsair 
AX / AXi series 760w - 1200w Seasonic (AX) / Flextronics (AXi)
AX1500i Flextronics
HXi Channel Well Technology
RMi Channel Well Technology 
RM1000x Channel Well Technology 

EVGA
SuperNova G2 / P2 / T2 Super Flower
Supernova GS Seasonic 
Supernova PS Seasonic 

Seasonic
Platinum series Seasonic
Snow Silent 1050w Seasonic
X series / X series XM2 Seasonic
G series / G series V2 Seasonic 
M12-II EVO (fully modular) Seasonic 
S12G (Think of 2011 - 2013 Seasonic G series) Seasonic 
S12-II Seasonic 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

2 minutes ago, Sephirothkefka said:

It's about the same price, but that cable is sooo hideous (one of the reasons I'm replacing this one). Thanks for the suggestion though.

5 minutes ago, Josephdalepi said:

corsair has the rm 750

may be overkill, but they are damn reliable and have the fanless mode

That one is way more expensive than the Seasonic (probably because it's 80plus Gold), so a little out of my budget. Thanks for the suggestion :).

@FireFox @Maybach123 @don_svetlio

Thanks, Seasonic it is then :)

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

It's been my experience that XFX power supplies are often cheaper than their Seasonic equivalents in Europe. All XFX units are rebranded Seasonics.

6 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

It's been my experience that XFX power supplies are often cheaper than their Seasonic equivalents in Europe. All XFX units are rebranded Seasonics.

Hmm, the cheapest fully modular XFX I can find is €90, while the Seasonix is €63. The Netherlands are always a bit weird with prices (somehow never to my benefit though).

My System:

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Sephirothkefka said:

7 hours ago, martward said:

It's about the same price, but that cable is sooo hideous (one of the reasons I'm replacing this one). Thanks for the suggestion though.

That one is way more expensive than the Seasonic (probably because it's 80plus Gold), so a little out of my budget. Thanks for the suggestion :).

@FireFox @Maybach123 @don_svetlio

Thanks, Seasonic it is then :)

EVGA B1 500 is designed by HEC Compucase and is several times worse than the M12II EVO

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

29 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

EVGA B1 500 is designed by HEC Compucase and is several times worse than the M12II EVO

As long as it works its good. Also JohnnyGuru gave it 8.4/10 with the only major complaint being the lack of zipties. The rest are fairly minor (sleeve bearing fan, non modular, etc.) 

SYSTEM: CPU-i5-6600k GPU-EVGA Titan X SC MOBO-Asus Z170-A SOUND CARD-Asus Xonar Essence STX RAM-16GB HyperX Fury 2133 DDR4 COOLER-CoolerMaster Hyper T4 WIFI-Asus PCE-AC68 

Just now, Sephirothkefka said:

As long as it works its good. Also JohnnyGuru gave it 8.4/10 with the only major complaint being the lack of zipties. The rest are fairly minor (sleeve bearing fan, non modular, etc.) 

JohnyGURU gives scores based on price. The B1 is cheaper and thus got a higher score. Hence why his scores are the last thing you should be looking at. Read the detailed review.

The B1 comes with cheap chinese caps, mediocre electrical performance and an overall poor platform used by ThermalTake on a lot of their PSUs (And we all know how poor Thermalfake stuff is).

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

JohnyGURU gives scores based on price. The B1 is cheaper and thus got a higher score. Hence why his scores are the last thing you should be looking at. Read the detailed review.

The B1 comes with cheap chinese caps, mediocre electrical performance and an overall poor platform used by ThermalTake on a lot of their PSUs (And we all know how poor Thermalfake stuff is).

Thermaltake? This is EVGA who makes very affordable or very overpriced PSUS with excellent quality and value for the average joe. Opening up the PSU and checking for caps would very likely be a rarity for me. I have an RM1000 and even though it has Japanese primarys (Nippon-Chemi Con, Rubycon) and taiwanese secondarys (Teapo, CapXon), it still functions and isn't a big fuckup like those Bestech PSUs in eMachines of the late 90s early 2000s that were ticking time bombs. I'm sounding like a broken record but as long as it works and doesn't cause problems down the road, I'm ok. 

3 minutes ago, Sephirothkefka said:

Thermaltake? This is EVGA who makes very affordable or very overpriced PSUS with excellent quality and value for the average joe. Opening up the PSU and checking for caps would very likely be a rarity for me. I have an RM1000 and even though it has Japanese primarys (Nippon-Chemi Con, Rubycon) and taiwanese secondarys (Teapo, CapXon), it still functions and isn't a big fuckup like those Bestech PSUs in eMachines of the late 90s early 2000s that were ticking time bombs. I'm sounding like a broken record but as long as it works and doesn't cause problems down the road, I'm ok. 

EVGA don't make anything. They sell the sticker. The PSUs are made by one of several OEMs which include SeaSonic, Super Flower, Delta, CWT, Compucase, FSP, Great Wall, Flextronics and so on.

EVGA, Corsair, Antec and such just resell them.

Just now, don_svetlio said:

EVGA don't make anything. They sell the sticker. The PSUs are made by one of several OEMs which include SeaSonic, Super Flower, Delta, CWT, Compucase, FSP, Great Wall, Flextronics and so on.

EVGA, Corsair, Antec and such just resell them.

You forgot they made their own GPUs right? I know they farm out production to other OEMS.