HELP! my two pieces of 4gb (2x2gb) kit of 2 can only be read as 4gb combined

tadubaid
Go to solution Solved by tadubaid,

I've been enlightened by someone that the ram label is a tricky sh*t. sorry guys but thanks for replying on this thread. 
LESSON FOR THOSE WHO HAVE KITS, THEY SHOULD ALWAYS COME IN PAIR TO HAVE THE MEMORY SIZE WRITTEN IN EACH LABEL. THANK YOU

Hi guys! I have an ASUS M4A88TD-M mother board with a cpu of Phenon II X4 3.2clycles/sec.
My Memory is two pieces of kingston 4gb (2x2gb)kit of 2 @1333clycles/sec
And my problem is, it is only read as 4gb combined. Even in my bios, it can only be read as 4gb

I wanted to ask your help. please help me with this.
i tested the rams and they are both working read as 2gb each. 
i also tested every single slot and no problems.

they are both inserted in blue slots.
PLEASE HELP ME I NEED MY 8 GBs of RAM :'(
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
you can email me  pamilyaalicdan@gmail.com

or message me on facebook www.facebook.com/tadubaid

THANKS

Are you using a 32 bit operating system?

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

Just now, IAcKI said:

Are you using a 32 bit operating system?

Nope sir. I'm using 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate.
Far be it from me, and i don't mean to pry, but i think operating system is not related to this problem because even bios cant read the half of the memory. 

Just now, tadubaid said:

Nope sir. I'm using 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate.
Far be it from me, and i don't mean to pry, but i think operating system is not related to this problem because even bios cant read the half of the memory. 

Is there another system You can try the ram in?

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Just now, IAcKI said:

Is there another system You can try the ram in?

i don't have any sir. is it literally half of the ram isn't working?  

Just now, tadubaid said:

i don't have any sir. is it literally half of the ram isn't working?  

Try just two of the sticks and see if it's the Motherboard that is broken. Seems quite unlikely to me that you have ended up with two dud RAM Sticks.

See my Build here!

Just now, IAcKI said:

Try just two of the sticks and see if it's the Motherboard that is broken. Seems quite unlikely to me that you have ended up with two dud RAM Sticks.

is it broken? these rams are DDR3. i think there is some settings that needs to be set. this is my first time to have these kind of ram.

Just now, tadubaid said:

is it broken? these rams are DDR3. i think there is some settings that needs to be set. this is my first time to have these kind of ram.

I personally think that two of your RAM slots on your motherboard may be broken.

See my Build here!

Just now, IAcKI said:

I personally think that two of your RAM slots on your motherboard may be broken.

i also tried to insert it to the black slots but still no changes

Just now, tadubaid said:

Really strange issue. I would suggest isolating at least 1 stick you know is good and trying it in each of the slots. The system should post with only 1 stick no matter what slot you install it in. 

Just now, tadubaid said:

Are you using the same speed/timing/brand of RAM?

Just now, ShadyHost said:

Really strange issue. I would suggest isolating at least 1 stick you know is good and trying it in each of the slots. The system should post with only 1 stick no matter what slot you install it in. 

i already tried that sir. ithink there are settings needed to be done to make this work

1 minute ago, tadubaid said:

IMG_20160207_112220.jpg

1 minute ago, ShadyHost said:

Are you using the same speed/timing/brand of RAM?

yes sir they are exactly the same except on the serial number

Just now, tadubaid said:

i already tried that sir. ithink there are settings needed to be done to make this work

See if your motherboard has preset XMP profiles. It's possible you got 2 different runs of the same RAM if you purchased the second kit months after the first one. Kingston refreshed their Hyper X line but made it look the same. 

Also maybe a bios reset might help if you haven't tried that. 

Just now, ShadyHost said:

See if your motherboard has preset XMP profiles. It's possible you got 2 different runs of the same RAM if you purchased the second kit months after the first one. Kingston refreshed their Hyper X line but made it look the same. 

Also maybe a bios reset might help if you haven't tried that. 

what is xmp profiles sir? i tried updating my bios and no changes. they are bought in the same time

wait, you have a pair of 2gb sticks of ram. of coures it would say 4gb of ram

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Just now, Biased Opinion said:

wait, you have a pair of 2gb sticks of ram. of coures it would say 4gb of ram

no i have a pair of 4gb 
each one is 2x2gb kit of 2 sir

facepalm

that is a kit of 2x2GBs so yes it 4GB

not 8GB!

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

1 hour ago, tadubaid said:

no i have a pair of 4gb 
each one is 2x2gb kit of 2 sir

So you have four 2Gb sticks? Because a "2x2gb" kit means two 2GB sticks, therefore 4GB.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

1 hour ago, dragoon20005 said:

facepalm

that is a kit of 2x2GBs so yes it 4GB

not 8GB!

If I'm reading correctly, I think he's trying to say he has two 2x2 GB kits. Personally, I would have just called that 4x2 GB.

3 hours ago, tadubaid said:

i tried updating my bios and no changes. they are bought in the same time

Not an update. Go to the BIOS and "Load Optimized Defaults" or whatever the wording is on your particular board. It's possible there's an incorrect setting somewhere, and you could rule that out by resetting the BIOS back to its factory settings.

If you do that and it's still not working, I think you may have either some dead memory modules or dead memory slots.

6 hours ago, ApolloX75 said:

So you have four 2Gb sticks? Because a "2x2gb" kit means two 2GB sticks, therefore 4GB.

yep sir I have four ^_^ any solutions ? please help me

3 hours ago, Caleb1998 said:

Do you have a 4x2 GB kit or 2x2 GB

two 2x2 sir