Too many devices

flyguy3

So ive encountered a problem, fairly obvious cause im on the forums, but My house has too many devices (35?) 

My router is a tri-band 6100N by NetGear so its not absolutely trash but could be improved upon.

So here is my problem. My router right now keep cycling though the devices trying its best to send some data to each, sometimes i boots some devices to make sure the other run smoothly. I have a 250Mb Down and 75Mb Up so i know my whole house isnt using that much data. Is there a way to keep the channels always active and equal so everyone can watch netflix or game?

Money isnt an issue i could buy another router, but dont quite understand how itll work off the same network.

how about getting rid of some devices to lower that ridiculous amount?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Your best bet would probably be to get multiple wireless access points and place them around the house to separate the devices. I really like the ubiquity stuff.

Yes, first off you would have to get a router with good QoS (Like ubiquiti or mikrotik), then for the Wifi part you should really get more than one access point!

Probably in total will run you 300$+ if you want good stuff :)

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

50 minutes ago, flyguy3 said:

So ive encountered a problem, fairly obvious cause im on the forums, but My house has too many devices (35?) 

My router is a tri-band 6100N by NetGear so its not absolutely trash but could be improved upon.

So here is my problem. My router right now keep cycling though the devices trying its best to send some data to each, sometimes i boots some devices to make sure the other run smoothly. I have a 250Mb Down and 75Mb Up so i know my whole house isnt using that much data. Is there a way to keep the channels always active and equal so everyone can watch netflix or game?

Money isnt an issue i could buy another router, but dont quite understand how itll work off the same network.

23 minutes ago, MariusJS said:

Yes, first off you would have to get a router with good QoS (Like ubiquiti or mikrotik), then for the Wifi part you should really get more than one access point!

Probably in total will run you 300$+ if you want good stuff :)

Do you know what you are doing? if say I asked you to make a vyatta config file? If yes, grab 1 or 2 (they do have a 3 pack that is discounted) Unify APs, and then throw a edge router in there for QOS (wont be needed, but if you for get to stop steam downloading, QOS will help keep your netflix from stuttering/degrading the res).

If the answer is no... you will find most consumer devices are only rated for X number of devices (I know the Airport Express are rated for 10 devices, extreme for 50). So lets say you have 5 phones in the house and a couple of Wireless IP cameras, bam, already over the limit of some devices. In this case, i'd look at just having multiple wireless AP's with different SSIDs (Most consumer grade AP's don't support AP based roaming, and rely on the device. Most of these don't roam correctly).

37 minutes ago, Blake said:

Do you know what you are doing? if say I asked you to make a vyatta config file? If yes, grab 1 or 2 (they do have a 3 pack that is discounted) Unify APs, and then throw a edge router in there for QOS (wont be needed, but if you for get to stop steam downloading, QOS will help keep your netflix from stuttering/degrading the res).

If the answer is no... you will find most consumer devices are only rated for X number of devices (I know the Airport Express are rated for 10 devices, extreme for 50). So lets say you have 5 phones in the house and a couple of Wireless IP cameras, bam, already over the limit of some devices. In this case, i'd look at just having multiple wireless AP's with different SSIDs (Most consumer grade AP's don't support AP based roaming, and rely on the device. Most of these don't roam correctly).

Im not very tech-savy when it comes to networking. But can you stupify that? lmao any simple way to make connects be smoother? I already used both 2.4ghz band and 5.0ghz band on my router and that worked for a while and than we got a few more Home Theater PC and a few more laptops and TV's.

34 minutes ago, flyguy3 said:

Im not very tech-savy when it comes to networking. But can you stupify that? lmao any simple way to make connects be smoother? I already used both 2.4ghz band and 5.0ghz band on my router and that worked for a while and than we got a few more Home Theater PC and a few more laptops and TV's.

I'll ignore my first suggestions then.

Get some more wireless Access points, connect them via Ethernet to the modem/router currently being used. Have them make their own SSIDs (wireless networks). Manually sign into each network on each device. "theoretically" it will auto roam between the wireless points depending on signal strength. In practice they wont, so if it doesn't work, just tell them to connect to one of the network and leave it on that one. As you wont be running a controller, you will also want each AP to broadcast on different Channels to minimise interference.