Build an editing server

So, I'm still relatively new to anything involving actually building computers and the like, but I'm looking for some tips (preferably in lamen's terms) on how to build and set up a network that I can edit on?

4 minutes ago, wtwoods013 said:

So, I'm still relatively new to anything involving actually building computers and the like, but I'm looking for some tips (preferably in lamen's terms) on how to build and set up a network that I can edit on?

Are you using adobe premiere?

Just now, wtwoods013 said:

Welcome to the Forum!

First off you will be doing most of your editing on a PC, so that PC will have to be a beast machine (like 4 to 8 cores, 16gb RAM minimum, a good graphics card). And then a server that has a good amount of speed to the network cards.

Basically, in lamens terms, you will need a great PC to edit on (if your looking for speed for rendering and stuff), a fast network (gigabit at least, more if you can), and a server that supports RAID.

This is a typical (more high end) solution to editing on a network. Naturally there are many solutions, which include no server and RAID on the PC itself. It depends on what your willing to put into the build and how accessible you want your data, as well as how safe. You can do all the above on a single PC with no issue. Or you can set it up on a server so you can access it any time, and have good RAID redundancy.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

How much money are you planning to spend?

is this your daily job?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you're using Adobe Premiere there's a very simple way you can go about this: Network Rendering.

Basically Adobe Premiere can transfer the rendering workload over multiple systems to process the final video faster. You can google some tutorials on how to set it up (it's not really that hard to set up fortunately :) )

As for a system in network rendering... Your best option is probably with some large high-core-count Xeon CPUs, as video rendering is primarily CPU-bound. You can pick up some cheap 8 core Xeon E5-2670's on Ebay for REALLY cheap (with a used X79 Chipset motherboard), and you can build the system from there to your own liking. Hope this helps!

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

I currently have two PCs that both my business  partner and I use actively to edit on, but we were looking for more space to store things. 

Here are the specs

PC 1

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Speed 3.5 GHz
Number of Cores 6
CPU ID BFEBFBFF000306F2
Family 06
Model 3F
Stepping 2
Revision  
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Chipset GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Dedicated Memory 6144 MB
Total Memory 6144 MB
Pixel Shader Version 5.1
Vertex Shader Version 5.1
Hardware T & L Yes
Vendor ID 10DE
Device ID 17C8
Plug and Play ID VEN_10DE&DEV_17C8&SUBSYS_11511028&REV_A1
Driver Version 10.18.13.6143
Memory 32 GB
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (build 9600), 64-bit
Service Pack 0
Size 64 Bit
Edition  
Version 6.3.9600
Locale 0409
BIOS  
Version Alienware A03
Manufacturer  
Date  
Display Maximum Resolution 1920 x 1080
Sound Device 1 Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Driver Version 6.0.101.1027
Sound Device 2 NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Driver Version 1.3.34.4
Sound Device 3 Avid Fast Track Duo
Driver Version 6.3.9600.16490
Sound Device 4 NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
Driver Version  
Sound Device 5 HD Webcam C615
Driver Version 13.80.853.0
Sound Device 6 XSplit Stream Audio Renderer
Driver Version  
DVD HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GS40N
CD HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GS40N
Drive 1  
Size 1.8 TB
Free 694.6 GB
Drive 2  
Size 931.5 GB
Free 533.2 GB
Drive 3  
Size 117.9 GB
Free 103.6 GB
Browsers  
Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.18161
Chrome 48.0.2564.109
Firefox  
Safari  
Software  
Java  
Flash 20.0.0.272
DirectX 11.0
.NET 3.5.30729.4926
QuickTime  
Adobe PDF Reader  

And this is PC 2

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Speed 3.6 GHz
Number of Cores 4
CPU ID BFEBFBFF000306C3
Family 06
Model 3C
Stepping 3
Revision  
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Chipset GeForce GTX 970
Dedicated Memory 4096 MB
Total Memory 4.0 GB
Pixel Shader Version 5.1
Vertex Shader Version 5.1
Hardware T & L Yes
Vendor ID 10DE
Device ID 13C2
Plug and Play ID VEN_10DE&DEV_13C2&SUBSYS_39793842&REV_A1
Driver Version 10.18.13.5887
Memory 8.0 GB
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 (build 10586), 64-bit
Service Pack 0
Size 64 Bit
Edition  
Version 10.0.10586
Locale 0409
BIOS  
Version American Megatrends Inc. F1
Manufacturer  
Date  
Display Maximum Resolution 1920 x 1080
Sound Device 1 High Definition Audio Device
Driver Version 10.0.10586.0
Sound Device 2 NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
Driver Version 1.2.34.0
Sound Device 3 NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Driver Version 1.3.34.4
DVD HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0
CD HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0
Drive 1  
Size 931.5 GB
Free 671.7 GB
Drive 2  
Size 930.1 GB
Free 195.3 GB
Browsers  
Internet Explorer 11.63.10586.0
Chrome 48.0.2564.109
Firefox  
Safari  
Software  
Java  
Flash 18.0.0.203
DirectX 11.0
.NET 3.5.30729.4926
QuickTime  
Adobe PDF Reader  

Oh. On PC 1 I have an SSD, but I've no idea what an SSD does or how to even use it. Like I said, I'm extremely new, so I greatly appreciate any help you guys are offering!

I'm more curious if it's worth it to build a server to store a bunch of data on or if I should just use the local network and add hard drives to my PC's

And I'm currently using all of Adobe's CC

2 hours ago, wtwoods013 said:

Oh. On PC 1 I have an SSD, but I've no idea what an SSD does or how to even use it. Like I said, I'm extremely new, so I greatly appreciate any help you guys are offering!

I'm more curious if it's worth it to build a server to store a bunch of data on or if I should just use the local network and add hard drives to my PC's

And I'm currently using all of Adobe's CC

Quite honestly, I think just adding a bunch of new hard drives to the new system would be more cost-effective and more practical in your case. Since you already have 2 systems up and running, you could still utilize the network rendering feature Adobe has in their CC suite when one of the systems isn't being used.

Oh and an SSD is basically a that uses flash storage (like a USB thumb drive) and is MUCH faster. :) 

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

So I just do research on how to network render and add some storage in?

Im more curious as to why I can't access my SSD in any way, though. It's got my OS on it but I can't locate it to put anything on it

43 minutes ago, wtwoods013 said:

So I just do research on how to network render and add some storage in?

Im more curious as to why I can't access my SSD in any way, though. It's got my OS on it but I can't locate it to put anything on it

If you're OS is on it, it's usually your C drive. you can also identify it based on size - say you have a 512GB SSD and a 2TB hard drive... you'd be able to tell pretty easily which is which. The only other possibility I can think of is that your SSD and HDD might have gotten "merged" using Intel Rapid Storage Technology, which uses your SSD as a cache for your HDD, making the HDD appear to be as fast as an SSD (or close to it).

Based on the drive sizes, I would guess your SSD is that "Drive 3" in the PC1 specs. It says you've only used 15GB, which is pretty low for it to be your boot drive.

If you can't see your SSD as a drive letter, try to launch "Rapid Storage Technology" if it's installed on your computer and look around in there. Failing that, the next place to check is Disk Management.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: