NAS from an old laptop

Go to solution Solved by Mikensan,

Confused about the topic being "laptop" but it looks like you're interested in putting together one out of desktop components?

If you can leave your new computer on all the time, I also say adding drives to your system and creating windows shares is the cheapest and easiest solution. If everything is running Windows 7 and greater, look into "homegroups" so you can easily control what folders and files your family has access to.

I'm going to be building a new gaming/workstation rig (http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/LYbBwP), so I taught that I might repurpose this laptop: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/LYbBwP

for a NAS. (BTW it lasted for about 6 years!) I currently am just curious of what you guys can come up with. ;)

THINGS, THAT I WANT/DON'T WANT:

-The case, i'll build myself (out of wood)

-Minimum 3 TB of storage

-It must not be giant and noisy

-And please don't make 1500€ ones, i want it for as cheap as possible

-Don't make it too complex, because it's my first rig and my first NAS, that i have built myself

-COMPLETELY NEW SYSTEMS ARE NOT UNWANTED

I'm still looking for a decent PSU for my rig:

(I'll put the link to the topic when i write it)

Why do you need a NAS compared to just adding the drives to your workstation and creating windows shares from there.

1 minute ago, KirbyTech said:

Why do you need a NAS compared to just adding the drives to your workstation and creating windows shares from there.

It's intended for the whole family (my sister and mum, my father doesn't care too much about computers...)

Just now, WeCraft said:

It's intended for the whole family (my sister and mum, my father doesn't care too much about computers...)

Okay how much storage do you need and how many drive spots do you have in your pc? I still think you will be best served with creating windows shares unless you want over 25tb like my current set up.

1 minute ago, KirbyTech said:

Okay how much storage do you need and how many drive spots do you have in your pc? I still think you will be best served with creating windows shares unless you want over 25tb like my current set up.

Ok, I'll try...

Confused about the topic being "laptop" but it looks like you're interested in putting together one out of desktop components?

If you can leave your new computer on all the time, I also say adding drives to your system and creating windows shares is the cheapest and easiest solution. If everything is running Windows 7 and greater, look into "homegroups" so you can easily control what folders and files your family has access to.

just buy a cheap Nas.. an all in one type will be less than €150 for 3tb.

or buy a USB 3.0 hard drive and either plug it into your routers USB port (if it has one) or plug it into your new pc and set it up through network sharing.

I personally have a buffalo link station. it's lasted me well!

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Go with new/used desktop parts, Laptops are rather hard to turn into a nas ( drives, PSU, case).

Look into the asrock c70m1, with ubuntu/openmediavault, 4-8gb ram and a few WD red drives should serve you quiet well. You can go with a cheap Intel Celeron or AMD a4 for better performance/upgrades, too.