Work PC sounds shitty

Minzo

Hello! I enjoy music while I'm working.

But the PC I use at work really has shitty sound.

I'm using a pair of Harman Kardon Soho II that I plug into the front jack.

But the sound is so bad! It's tinny and barely worth listening to.

Is there anything I can do? I'm not allowed to open up the pc and plugin a card or such.

USB DAC/AMP

https://www.komplett.se/product/830580/ljud-bild/horlurar/tillbehor/fiio-e10k-olympus-2

it's plug and play so don't even need to install anything.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

3 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

USB DAC/AMP

https://www.komplett.se/product/830580/ljud-bild/horlurar/tillbehor/fiio-e10k-olympus-2

it's plug and play so don't even need to install anything.

It's a bit pricey for work hehe. How kind of you to link to a local website ;)

2 minutes ago, oldkingdragonslayer said:

Could always use a mp3 player/ phone

That's probably the way I have to go. But I'd like to control the music via the computer. But it's no biggie really.

Does your work offer WiFi? I have old tablets and phones with no service but work nicely for Pandora. I remember @Slick mentioning in a WAN Show (I think) that he used an app for his phone to control it from his work PC.

-KuJoe

10 minutes ago, Minzo said:

It's a bit pricey for work hehe. How kind of you to link to a local website ;)

well you can carry it home

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

8 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Does your work offer WiFi? I have old tablets and phones with no service but work nicely for Pandora. I remember @Slick mentioning in a WAN Show (I think) that he used an app for his phone to control it from his work PC.

Sadly, they do not. I could sneakily plug in a router though...

3 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

well you can carry it home

I have no need for it at home. I guess I'm getting spotify and downloading the music to my phone.

Is the battery dead?  Do they sound as bad plugged into another device?  Can you access the back headphone jack?

38 minutes ago, Donk Quixote said:

Is the battery dead?  Do they sound as bad plugged into another device?  Can you access the back headphone jack?

The battery is not dead, I can clearly hear a difference with it on and off. And it sounds way better on my phone. I do have access, but the cable will be way too short sadly.

The wire connecting the front headphone jack to the motherboard can pick up a lot of electronic noise.  I'd say crawl under the desk and try out the back jack, and if it's better buy an extension cable.

what kind of computer is it? if its custom, whats the mobo and case?

SYSTEM: CPU-i5-6600k GPU-EVGA Titan X SC MOBO-Asus Z170-A SOUND CARD-Asus Xonar Essence STX RAM-16GB HyperX Fury 2133 DDR4 COOLER-CoolerMaster Hyper T4 WIFI-Asus PCE-AC68 

Just now, Sephirothkefka said:

what kind of computer is it? if its custom, whats the mobo and case?

I'm not at work right now so I can't check.

I know it's an HP prebuilt. Imagine the shittiest prebuilt HP with an i3. The case is smaller than a standard tower.

It might have either idt or realtek. idk how shitty idt is but sigmatel is one of the best imo. Realtek is VERY hit or miss. I'd disable any equalizers in the realtek and windows control panels and increasing the sampling rate from 16 bit 44100 hz to 24 bit 192000

SYSTEM: CPU-i5-6600k GPU-EVGA Titan X SC MOBO-Asus Z170-A SOUND CARD-Asus Xonar Essence STX RAM-16GB HyperX Fury 2133 DDR4 COOLER-CoolerMaster Hyper T4 WIFI-Asus PCE-AC68 

1 minute ago, Sephirothkefka said:

It might have either idt or realtek. idk how shitty idt is but sigmatel is one of the best imo. Realtek is VERY hit or miss. I'd disable any equalizers in the realtek and windows control panels and increasing the sampling rate from 16 bit 44100 hz to 24 bit 192000

I did increase the sampling rate. I also had to use the equalizer to lower my right ear plug to 75% volume (because they were uneven for some reason).

Then it's probably either the player or the files. Are you streaming or listening to it locally? Also what music player are you using?

Then it's probably either the player or the files. Are you streaming or listening to it locally? Also what music player are you using?

Woops, wrong button.

I'm streaming from youtube.

1 minute ago, Minzo said:

Woops, wrong button.

I'm streaming from youtube.

Yeah....

It's best to listen to them locally and using 192 kbps mp3s at the minimum. TBBH, streaming sucks :P

Yeah....

It's best to listen to them locally and using 320 kbps mp3s. TBBH, streaming sucks :P

Haha well it's either stream from youtube or listen through my phöne.

I did just get spotify though so I will use that on my phone :) Thanks for helping! Also, my inbox is now filled with dancing skeletons. I love it.

LOL

You're welcome 

Last one I promise ;)