Are High End Gaming Mice Worth it?

Knaj
2 minutes ago, Knaj said:

Like, I have a $15ish gaming mouse.

Aside from DPI and adjustability, do high end gaming mice make a difference?

And is the difference worth it?

I find it worth I can't stand using a mouse that doesn't have an optical sensor after using one with an optical sensor for more than 3 years now

[CPU-i5 4690k] [MB-Asus Maximus VII Hero] [GPU-Asus Matirx 980ti] [Ram-8GB Corsair Vengeance ram] [ Cooling-Corsair H100i/ 3 Noctua NF-P12 for intake] [sSD/HDD-120GB evo/ 1TB WB Caviar blue] [Case-NZXT H440] [Dell U3415W]

depends on what mouses you get i personally like the build quality on higher end mouses better. also they have more features for example i have 12 buttons on the side of my mouse which help me in games that use the number keys like war thunder 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

2 minutes ago, Knaj said:

How do I know if my mouse has an optical sensor?

Does a red light come from the bottom?

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

Just now, Knaj said:

No.

What mouse do you own?

[CPU-i5 4690k] [MB-Asus Maximus VII Hero] [GPU-Asus Matirx 980ti] [Ram-8GB Corsair Vengeance ram] [ Cooling-Corsair H100i/ 3 Noctua NF-P12 for intake] [sSD/HDD-120GB evo/ 1TB WB Caviar blue] [Case-NZXT H440] [Dell U3415W]

I think a quality mouse can make a big difference in your gaming sessions, but once the word "gaming" gets attached to anything the price goes up considerably.

I have a Logitech G502 which I really like, but its a pretty personal kind of thing. 

Size, Grip, and ergonomics are all going to play a part, but I did choke a bit when I bought it.  ($100 here in Canada) 

All said and done, I'm happy with the purchase now that I've got it.

14 hours ago, Knaj said:

Like, I have a $15ish gaming mouse.

Aside from DPI and adjustability, do high end gaming mice make a difference?

And is the difference worth it?

By far the most important thing you get with a gaming mouse is good sensors. Most sensors in office-grade mice are buggy shit because the issues that you have with gaming (fast movements, lifting, acceleration, smoothing) aren't relevant for office applications.

But you also get customization, higher build quality, and the option for getting a coated mouse. While these might not sound like a big deal, if you have a mouse that, for example, has a shitty scroll wheel (meaning something like the scroll steps are barely distinct, the wheel rattles or is loud as fuck) it might bother you to a point where your focus wanders off the game and your performance takes a hit.

The ultimate goal of gaming mice is to have a mouse that you don't notice. A mouse where you don't have to adjust your grip to find the perfect way to hold it. A mouse where the clicks don't feel mushy. A mouse where having dry or sweaty hands won't make the mouse uncomfortable to use. A mouse where you won't have to adjust to settings (rather than settings adjusting to you) because a game you play hasn't implemented proper sensitivity adjustments.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

Yes, it can drastically improve your performance.  

A keyboard however doesn't, you don't need and amazing keyboard.  A decent one is useful though and get one that actually satisfies you.  Just saying.    

Expensive mice can have better sensor, design, more buttons, functions, options. 

Apart from sensor (G502 and few others have the best atm) its hard to tell. Build quality of more expensive mouse tends to be better, their materials dont wear of as easy but ut might be subjective to every mouse. DPI means nothing so dont fall for that. 90% players dont use more than 2000dpi.

The build quality of cheap mice can be the main difference. Some mice sliding feet can wear of faster or the adhisive used on them can be crappy.

Often mice go on sale so select few that interest u and wait for one to go on sale and buy. Dont pay full price, no mouse is worth the high price tag imo.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

13 hours ago, Thony said:

Expensive mice can have better sensor, design, more buttons, functions, options. 

Apart from sensor (G502 and few others have the best atm) its hard to tell. Build quality of more expensive mouse tends to be better, their materials dont wear of as easy but ut might be subjective to every mouse. DPI means nothing so dont fall for that. 90% players dont use more than 2000dpi.

The build quality of cheap mice can be the main difference. Some mice sliding feet can wear of faster or the adhisive used on them can be crappy.

Often mice go on sale so select few that interest u and wait for one to go on sale and buy. Dont pay full price, no mouse is worth the high price tag imo.

I don't think the G502 Proteus Spectrum will go on sale for a while

11 minutes ago, Knaj said:

No, I think it is. $80 USD on amazon at the time of writing. Sorry for the long link

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Proteus-Spectrum-Tunable-910-004615/dp/B019OB663A%3Fpsc%3D1%26SubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-ffab-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB019OB663A

11 hours ago, Knaj said:

Fuck spectrum. The Core version seems to be lower price (not sure if it went down after release of spectrum or spectrum just costs more).

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

11 hours ago, Idefix said:

I wonder if Core was ever $80 hm. Here in UK they are same price.

this is what you get for your money if we talk fps mice:

better sensor

better build

more economic

all this can lead up to you getting a better aim if you get a mouse that fits you really well and has a really good sensor.

MMO mice:

More buttons

better build

more economic

Well with mmo mice you should not expect your aim to get better because they use cheaper sensor because precision is not something you need in lol or wow

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

13 hours ago, Thony said:

I wonder if Core was ever $80 hm. Here in UK they are same price.

Could have been. Saw it for ~70, so would not be surprising if from some more expensive stores that the price was also 80

It's all user preference, each mouse a different shape so, some will like this while others will like that. My very old mouse was the Microsoft Intellimouse, that last the longest, still works till this day, but middle button is broken, extremely comfortable. Next up is the G700, lots of cool features like hyper scroll, can do wireless and wired mode while it's charging. has lots of buttons. Comfort was meh. Then mouse started to do double clicks on its own. Say the switch inside is loosing its tension, tried to fix it and I did, but the button itself got busted, So now my current one is the G502. Great mouse, have hyper scroll, not much buttons as the G700, wished it has. Comfort level a bit better than G700, but that MS mouse still wins by miles in this category.  IMO closest mouse in terms of comfort like that MS one, based on my personal preference is the G600, sadly there is no hyper scroll. If there is I would have gotten that, instead of the G502.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list