This usb, too good to be true?

moonedunk
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Oh my brother got one of those (well similar)

It works, you do have 128GB of storage... but..

Slowest USB Flash drive ever. And I don't mean "Oh ok, it is slow", no I mean, you will be waiting for a small text file to transfer. I doubt you can fill it up in 1 GB in a month time (ok exaggeration, but very long time... way too long than normal), let alone recover data from it.

Nope my brother tossed it at the bin.

308864d16d.jpg

CPU -  Intel i7 4770k 4.6Ghz     Motherboard - MSI GD-65    RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16 GB     GPU - XFX 295x2    Case - NZXT H440  

Storage - 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 ssd, 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm    PSU -  EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2  Cooling - Corsair H80i     Keyboard - KGParadise v60 w/ cherry mx greens

Mouse -Theron  Sound - HyperX Cloud

no

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

1. Yes.

2. No eBay links.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

I'd assume so. Look suspiciously generic. One of the reviews says it only holds about 9gb. The other reviews could be fake.

2 minutes ago, moonedunk said:

Yep that's a fake one. They have custom firmware that reports 128GB free to the OS, but when you go over a certain amount (8GB, 16GB) they bork out and corrupt your data, because that's their actual capacity.

Almost as cool as my temps  

Just now, Benergy said:

Yep that's a fake one. They have custom firmware that reports 128GB free to the OS, but when you go over a certain amount (8GB, 16GB) they bork out and corrupt your data, because that's their actual capacity.

Figured, thank you.

CPU -  Intel i7 4770k 4.6Ghz     Motherboard - MSI GD-65    RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16 GB     GPU - XFX 295x2    Case - NZXT H440  

Storage - 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 ssd, 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm    PSU -  EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2  Cooling - Corsair H80i     Keyboard - KGParadise v60 w/ cherry mx greens

Reviews seem to think so... Does look a little odd though because of the generic stock photo

20 Year old Computing student who plays video games and fusses over how his PC looks in his free time

Spoiler

PC Specs

CPU: Intel Core i7 4670K - 4.4 GHz | MotherboardMSI Z77-G45 Gaming | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO - 128GB x 2 | GPU: MSI AMD Radeon 7950 | PSU: Corsair CX750m | Case: NZXT S340 | Cooling: Corsair H90 | MonitorAOC 22" Monitor | PeripheralsRazer Blackwidow Ultimate, Creative Soundblaster Rage Wireless and Logitech G502 | Operating System: Windows 10  Arch Linux (XFCE) 

Pictures and More Information Here 

Most likely fake, and it lies on the product specifications.

And the space is probably not even higher than 16 GBs.

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

There are 128GB sticks, sandisk has one. Thogh, this one doesn't even say who the manufacturer is, so probably it's shit

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

2 minutes ago, moonedunk said:

Figured, thank you.

The catch is, people would usually take quite some time to fill 16GB, by which point it's too late to return, and they'd probably just think 'the drive died' for a non-suspicious reason.

Almost as cool as my temps  

3 minutes ago, daniellearmouth said:

1. Yes.

2. No eBay links.

You are allowed to link to ebay...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

128gb ones cost $40 us new. $30 used if you're lucky.

i like trains 🙂

It's 100% fake. In fact, this is a common scam on eBay. While it seems tempting and may even show up in Windows as a 128GB flash drive, it's not the case. It's most likely a 4GB or perhaps an 8GB flash drive that has had the firmware re-written to appear as 128GB flash drive. Given time to actually fill up the drive and realize it's not actually 128GB, it'll often be too late to return it.

Just now, spwath said:

Was wondering what he was QQing about.

Not this one

but there are legit ones

1 minute ago, spwath said:

Yup no ebay is only for hot deals

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

2 minutes ago, spwath said:

Not according to the Code of Conduct or whatever it's called now.

DAYTONA

1 minute ago, daniellearmouth said:

Not according to the Code of Conduct or whatever it's called now.

uh, yeah.

You are not allowed to have ebay for Hot Deals, but for other sections if you are referancing something, its fine...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 minute ago, spwath said:

uh, yeah.

You are not allowed to have ebay for Hot Deals, but for other sections if you are referancing something, its fine...

And yet, it's written as...

• No advertising
    • No eBay/trading sites

...and mentions nothing about hot deals or anything of the sort.

So if it turns out that you actually can post links to eBay through here and start a discussion on them, fine. Ignore that part. But for any mods reading this, make a quick amendment to the Guidelines stating that; it's not clear, and that's the only reference to eBay in the entire thing.

If, however, eBay linking straight up is not allowed regardless, then that's not on me.

DAYTONA

18 minutes ago, Juanse said:

There are 128GB sticks, sandisk has one. Thogh, this one doesn't even say who the manufacturer is, so probably it's shit

15 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

corsair makes a 256gb usb drive

FYI...Kingston released a 1TB flash drive a long time ago.

http://www.kingston.com/en/company/press?article=6487

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-DataTraveler-Predator-1TB-DTHXP30/dp/B00E65QM8O

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0BD-0003-000E1

10 minutes ago, daniellearmouth said:

And yet, it's written as...

• No advertising
    • No eBay/trading sites

...and mentions nothing about hot deals or anything of the sort.

So if it turns out that you actually can post links to eBay through here and start a discussion on them, fine. Ignore that part. But for any mods reading this, make a quick amendment to the Guidelines stating that; it's not clear, and that's the only reference to eBay in the entire thing.

If, however, eBay linking straight up is not allowed regardless, then that's not on me.

We shouldn't need to make an amendment - the new community standards were written to be more simplistic as the old CoC had far too many rules pertaining to specific circumstances. If in doubt, report content or ask a staff member before you post. This is thread is fine - we just don't want people advertising all their eBay & trading site posts.

We shouldn't need to make an amendment - the new community standards were written to be more simplistic as the old CoC had far too many rules pertaining to specific circumstances. If in doubt, report content or ask a staff member before you post. This is thread is fine - we just don't want people advertising all their eBay & trading site posts.

In that case, ignore most of what I said, besides the part where I said this USB is bad.

DAYTONA

Oh my brother got one of those (well similar)

It works, you do have 128GB of storage... but..

Slowest USB Flash drive ever. And I don't mean "Oh ok, it is slow", no I mean, you will be waiting for a small text file to transfer. I doubt you can fill it up in 1 GB in a month time (ok exaggeration, but very long time... way too long than normal), let alone recover data from it.

Nope my brother tossed it at the bin.

If you were too fill it up more than the maximim capacity of the flash chip allows, theres a chance that the data can get corrupted..