Help! server security cameras

Hi , the thing is the next one , i wanna build a server for security cameras , i do not wanna anything overkill , i just wanna build something that work's just fine enought to see the cameras.

The list of the components are :        *Motherboard Gigabyte Ga-h97m-d3h Micro ATX

*Intel i3 - 4160

*8GB RAM DDR3 - 1600Mhz

*Power Suply EVGA 500W

*HDD Western Digital 3TB Purple (Here will be the files from the cameras) 

For cooling I have no idea, please give me some ideas, the server has to be turned 24HS

All this in a rack obiously.

My question is, this is overkill for what i want? o this is a machine that is going to work fine?

Thanks for your time, and sorry for the bad english.

Adios!

Depends on how many cameras you have and how long you want videos stored. Should be fine for 2-5 cameras w/ 1-4 week retention.

the idea is to have 9 cameras in total, what do you say that i have to upgrade? 

26 minutes ago, TechOfFuture said:

the idea is to have 9 cameras in total, what do you say that i have to upgrade? 

9 will run fine on that kind of hardware. The biggest thing to be careful of if you put in high res/quality cameras is the network bandwidth required and the disk write speed required. You can reduce this load by setting up proper dead zones and movement only recording etc.

Software I have used for this kind of thing is from Milestone called XProtect, awesome software.

For cooling just use something like a H55 or H80i if you want better than stock cooler but even that will be fine, that cpu doesn't put out much heat at all. 

1 hour ago, TechOfFuture said:

Hi , the thing is the next one , i wanna build a server for security cameras , i do not wanna anything overkill , i just wanna build something that work's just fine enought to see the cameras.

The list of the components are :        *Motherboard Gigabyte Ga-h97m-d3h Micro ATX

*Intel i3 - 4160

*8GB RAM DDR3 - 1600Mhz

*Power Suply EVGA 500W

*HDD Western Digital 3TB Purple (Here will be the files from the cameras) 

For cooling I have no idea, please give me some ideas, the server has to be turned 24HS

All this in a rack obiously.

My question is, this is overkill for what i want? o this is a machine that is going to work fine?

Thanks for your time, and sorry for the bad english.

Adios!

What are the cameras? Lets say 1080P, and constant recording, you going to need more HDDs, you'd get about a week of footage on that, and you have a single point of failure, depending on what your recording (how critical it is to ensure you don't loose footage), you might like to throw another drive into a mirror, or even another 3 for a strip and mirror (and more space)?

Can confirm Milestone is good software, can also confirm it is ridiculously expensive.

3 hours ago, Blake said:

What are the cameras? Lets say 1080P, and constant recording, you going to need more HDDs, you'd get about a week of footage on that, and you have a single point of failure, depending on what your recording (how critical it is to ensure you don't loose footage), you might like to throw another drive into a mirror, or even another 3 for a strip and mirror (and more space)?

Can confirm Milestone is good software, can also confirm it is ridiculously expensive.

XProtect Essentials isn't too bad, $100 USD but yea there probably are cheaper alternatives out there. Smallest one I've setup was around 30 cameras.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

XProtect Essentials isn't too bad, $100 USD but yea there probably are cheaper alternatives out there. Smallest one I've setup was around 30 cameras.

When I looked into it it was several tens of thousands, but we needed it to save a copy locally and then also transfer to head office overnight and be watchable live. as soon as the powers that be saw the price, they decided to keep our current system and not bother upgrading to IP cameras (heck some of the cameras here are as old as I am).

From memory they have a foundation version or something similar which is free but locks out most features.

2 hours ago, Blake said:

When I looked into it it was several tens of thousands, but we needed it to save a copy locally and then also transfer to head office overnight and be watchable live. as soon as the powers that be saw the price, they decided to keep our current system and not bother upgrading to IP cameras (heck some of the cameras here are as old as I am).

From memory they have a foundation version or something similar which is free but locks out most features.

Yep forgot the per camera license on top of the product itself. It's $100 USD base cost including 2 cameras then another $50 per camera, and that's for the cheapest product they currently sell.

Makes me sad, was planning on using it myself when I build my house. Don't have as much money as the clients I contract to, not surprising since I'm not a business :P

for software at work we use a free / open source software called ZoneMinder to handle our recording. The best I can say is it's functional and has never failed us.... the downside is that it isn't pretty to look at (which doesn't matter for us because we wrote our own frontend). I can't say what the minimum requirements are, but we always deploy a low-end current gen Xeon CPU, supermicro case/mobo/powersupply, 8GB ECC RAM, and 4x drives in RAID 5 (not sure about capacity or drive type).

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: