How to wire up my house for networking?

aneil1998

So I'm currently renovating my house, and i think i will need more networking gear. 

Currently, this is my setup. 

ISP --- ISP Provided Modem --- Network Switch --- Wireless router

file-page1.jpg

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

Where is the internet router located currently? Where does the internet enter the house?

From first looks I'd say a decent AC Router dual band just where those 2 steps are in the middle of the house that lead to the bedrooms. So wifi for the entire house with good range and speed, then its right next to your computer room so you can either connect at 1-1.7 Gbps depending on your AC Router with 5.0 Ghz Band OR connect via cable to the router. Mount the router at the top of the wall will make it even better!

First off I would like to state that I AM NOT QUALIFIED AT ALL, and this is merely a suggestion based on what I think is reasonable.

I'd suggest running cables through your attic into each of the rooms by dropping them down into the walls (and coming out through a hole in the wall.  This would be the simplest solution.  Using this method you should be able to route cables to anything you need, (and take the time to route good quality cables everywhere now, rather than later!)  You should want to google how pros do this though.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

1 minute ago, Weak1ings said:

First off I would like to state that I AM NOT QUALIFIED AT ALL, and this is merely a suggestion based on what I think is reasonable.

I'd suggest running cables through your attic into each of the rooms by dropping them down into the walls (and coming out through a hole in the wall.  This would be the simplest solution.  Using this method you should be able to route cables to anything you need, (and take the time to route good quality cables everywhere now, rather than later!)  You should want to google how pros do this though.

Bro... I dont think most people on here for qualified but each person knows a thing or two in their own areas :) Dont you worry!

I like your solution better and its very simple! Perhaps the two methods could be combined for a super hub house :P

Suggestions: (and taking into consideration you actually want to stay in this home or increase it's resale value)

If you are doing a stud-out renovation (replacing wall boards, etc.) then you should definitely consider Cat 7 wiring to each of the bedrooms, the family room, the garage and the kitchen.

Now the arguments come.... "why would you want to blah blah blah".

For the answer... if you are removing wall boards anyway, just do it, you never know what you or the next homeowner may want or need for internet usage.

Bedrooms....given, family room,...given, but garage ?  Garage may be used at a later date for internet enabled smart home devices, garage doors, who knows, but it will have a connection if you don't want wireless security to be an issue.

But why my kitchen ? Usage now or later for internet enabled smart home devices such as say, a refrigerator that has ordering capabilities.

Yes but I can do all that wirelessly !

Yes you can but you said you were doing a renovation, so as I said, *IF* it's a stud-out renovation, just do it.

If you aren't tearing up wallboards, run a line to where ever the TV will be for a smart tv and be done with it, maybe add a couple of wireless access points at the opposite end of the house from where ever the wireless router is located.

If you have a basement it's Uber easy; I do and I wired all the bedrooms in the house running the cables through the basement into a first floor built-in cabinet that serves as the hide for the switch and networking gear.

Good luck, good scores, rock on !

FX-8320 @3.79 - Corsair H80i - Gigabyte GTX 970 WF - Asus Sabertooth - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 80+ Platinum - Thermaltake Commander Black
--- Twitter: @Armchairgooroo    FB: Thearmchairguru    Twitch: armchairguru ---

Just now, TheArmChairGuru said:

--snip--

Yea, I think the basement idea would be a lot easier for multistory and single story houses as well!  The attic would be a good idea on a second story and you can try to find a hole to the basement for your router, and literally drop down the cables.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

18 minutes ago, aneil1998 said:

So I'm currently renovating my house, and i think i will need more networking gear. 

Currently, this is my setup. 

ISP --- ISP Provided Modem --- Network Switch --- Wireless router

-snip-

My first suggestion would be: Don't have the network equipment in your bedroom, if at all possible. From a management perspective, it's best suited to stick it all elsewhere.

I'd suggest creating a "Network Closet" so to speak, in the Garage, or even in the large Storage Room behind the garage. This would depend on whether you can run the ISP Internet Line into this area (Depends on what kind of Internet - DSL Phone Line, COAX Cable line, Fibre Line, etc).

(FYI, I lol'd at the fact that the Garage is labelled "car port" - must be a regional thing)

That gives you plenty of space to rack up as much networking gear as you need - you can even install rackable or tower servers there if needed down the line, and you won't have to worry about cooling it all in your bedroom, or the potentially very excessive noise that network/server equipment can sometimes produce.

I agree with @Weak1ings, running cable into the Attic is probably easiest, unless you are quite comfortable with fishing wire through the walls.

I would start with the following:

In Network Closet:

1. ISP Line - going into Modem

2. Dedicated Router - Optional - depends on how good your ISP provided Modem is (I'm assuming it's an "All In One" Modem/Router)

3. Network Switch

4. Large Network Patch Panel

I would then run Ethernet wires (Cat 6a or Cat 7, if you're wiring the whole house) to every room - you can leave unused "dark" lines in the walls for later upgrades, or simply wire up every room and just not use the jacks you install in the walls. You can use the Attic (Depending on how the house is Constructed - some may not allow easy access to the walls through the attic) as your routing point if that's easy to access - simply drill a hole in the ceiling in the Network Closet (Or in the wall and go up through the wall), run ALL the network cables up through this point into the Attic, then distribute to each room accordingly.

Make sure to anticipate future growth - eg: For your bedroom/office, consider running more than one ethernet cable - perhaps 2 or 3 - if you think you'll have additional devices there. Same for the Living Room/Media Center (Alternatively, for the media center, just use a small 5-port Gigabit Switch if you need more than one device connected).

I would terminate all of your in-wall network cables to the Network Patch Panel - this will allow easier management and configuration. It's more organized. Then use short patch cables (Eg: 6in to 1ft long) to connect the patch panel into the switch.

I would also consider upgrading your Wireless to something more Prosumer, if you have the need for high speed wireless. Something like a Ubiquiti UniFi Access Point. It'll provide much better range and performance if you have a decent number of wireless clients. Make sure the Access Point is in the most central location you can put it - use Power over Ethernet (PoE) to power the AP if there are no convenient power outlets in the best location. Possible good locations based on your floor plans include the Attic, Storage Room (labelled "7"), or ceiling mounted in between the Kitchen and Bedroom 6.

1 minute ago, Weak1ings said:

Not a bad suggestion.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, RickL said:

Where is the internet router located currently? Where does the internet enter the house?

From first looks I'd say a decent AC Router dual band just where those 2 steps are in the middle of the house that lead to the bedrooms. So wifi for the entire house with good range and speed, then its right next to your computer room so you can either connect at 1-1.7 Gbps depending on your AC Router with 5.0 Ghz Band OR connect via cable to the router. Mount the router at the top of the wall will make it even better!

ISP connection will be entering from by my Gaming Rig

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

3 hours ago, TheArmChairGuru said:

Suggestions: (and taking into consideration you actually want to stay in this home or increase it's resale value)

If you are doing a stud-out renovation (replacing wall boards, etc.) then you should definitely consider Cat 7 wiring to each of the bedrooms, the family room, the garage and the kitchen.

Now the arguments come.... "why would you want to blah blah blah".

For the answer... if you are removing wall boards anyway, just do it, you never know what you or the next homeowner may want or need for internet usage.

Bedrooms....given, family room,...given, but garage ?  Garage may be used at a later date for internet enabled smart home devices, garage doors, who knows, but it will have a connection if you don't want wireless security to be an issue.

But why my kitchen ? Usage now or later for internet enabled smart home devices such as say, a refrigerator that has ordering capabilities.

Yes but I can do all that wirelessly !

Yes you can but you said you were doing a renovation, so as I said, *IF* it's a stud-out renovation, just do it.

If you aren't tearing up wallboards, run a line to where ever the TV will be for a smart tv and be done with it, maybe add a couple of wireless access points at the opposite end of the house from where ever the wireless router is located.

If you have a basement it's Uber easy; I do and I wired all the bedrooms in the house running the cables through the basement into a first floor built-in cabinet that serves as the hide for the switch and networking gear.

Good luck, good scores, rock on !

The house is being built with Clay blocks like this.

http://www.damusbuildingsolutions.com/Images/clay%20box_L.jpg

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

(FYI, I lol'd at the fact that the Garage is labelled "car port" - must be a regional thing)

We call it a garage but for the plan to be passed, they had to use the term, car port

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

--snip--

The bedrooms will not require any ethernet connection. And if they do, i will pass the cable through the attic and send it down the wall in trunking.

The storage room is actually a workshop(again, for the plan to be passed, it had to be labelled that.)

If i do plan to put servers, it will have a spot underneath a step but that area will need to be blocked off and sealed.

11 minutes ago, aneil1998 said:

The bedrooms will not require any ethernet connection. And if they do, i will pass the cable through the attic and send it down the wall in trunking.

The storage room is actually a workshop(again, for the plan to be passed, it had to be labelled that.)

If i do plan to put servers, it will have a spot underneath a step but that area will need to be blocked off and sealed.

Fair enough, but I still strongly suggest you don't terminate all the cables into your bedroom. If you ever move, having them all run into a bedroom isn't going to be a very useful feature.

Ultimately it doesn't matter where, bit I suggest finding a permanent area to declare as your "network closet/room", that isn't in a bedroom. It could be in any of your existing closets, in a storage room, the garage, or just a nook in the corner of the living room or kitchen, etc. That's just my personal suggestion. Less headaches in the long run.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

In my conclusion with the above...

Option 1 - Wire up your house whilst you are carrying out the renovations, use the attic and drop cables down to the required rooms (suggested all rooms for future proof).

Option 2 - If the your ISP Enters the house already in your gaming room then keep your modem and small switch there, I'd run a cable in to the attic and drop a cable in the central location in your house and mount an access point on the wall. As suggested, use PoE to keep the complexity down and your good to go!