Skylake vs Haswell

Hello, I am beggining to plan a new build but im not sure wether to go with the newer i7 6700k or the older but cheaper i7 4790k. Is the skylake cpu worth spending extra on or should I go haswell? I am aware the skylake cpus have a new socket, would this be good for future-proofing?

2 minutes ago, TheCODclown25 said:

um' you should get a i5 6700k or an AMD FX6300   plz respond and let me know what you think

what the actual f**k?

whats wrong?

The FX6300 and 4790K are not remotely close. Let alone the 6700K.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

hey soz if i upset u im trying my best and about the fx6300   it has 6 cores and its at 3.5 GHZ     and i think u should consider it

hey soz if i upset u im trying my best and about the fx6300   it has 6 cores and its at 3.5 GHZ     and i think u should consider it

They are not even in the same league bro. 

Please don't base recommendations just off specs. The number of cores and its clock speed is irrelevant when the 6700K and 4790K have a much higher IPC.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

OK OK i have caused an argument so im just gonna say soz for everyone and soz if i may appear dumb   i'm only new to PC hard ware  

OK OK i have caused an argument so im just gonna say soz for everyone and soz if i may appear dumb   i'm only new to PC hard ware  

If you want future proofing, the I7 6700K will win, it's the best of the newest for a Desktop, but that's if you can afford it. 
Either are great though tbf, just be sure you have ddr4, I made that initial mistake lol. 

21 minutes ago, TheCODclown25 said:

let's put it this way:

let's say that 6700K = Mercedes C63 AMG

Fx6300 = 2005 Clio 1.2

39 minutes ago, UWotimus said:

I am aware the skylake cpus have a new socket, would this be good for future-proofing?

I'm just referring to that point, nothing else, hence me saying if he has the money lol. 
Either is good, but the increase on skylake isn't that amazing that it'd warrant splashing what you don't have or can't.

Honestly if your building a new rig from the ground up,  go skylake. Although the cpu and mobo will go obsolete the ddr4, especially if you are buying 8gb dimms, will last the next 5 years. 

Furthermore skylake is faster/better than haswell so it will last you slightly longer. Also native support for NVMe and more stuff. 

Its true that skylake is no reason to upgrade, but if you are building a new rig anyway....  

But than again if you have ddr3 laying around, lets say 16gigs and ur choice is 4790k vs i5 6600k and buying ddr4,  I would go for the 4790k.

So in conclusion my recommendation comes down to: do you need to buy ram regardless? Go skylake.  

But if you need to spend atleast 100 extra for the ram, and not even considering the fact a second hand mobo and 4790k is not that hard to find currently, put that money towards a better gpu.

Got an infinite money budget? Get your ass on x99 and wire me some ;)

Edited by QBtech

if you can afford i7 6700k than go for the new sky lake 14nm architecture, it will give you slightly better performance than i7 4790k, it support current gen. RAM (DDR4),  In short you can say you are equipped with latest product.

Edited by amit523dutta
typing mistake

Honestly, I'd just go with whatever fits your budget better. If you need cheaper, then I would go Haswell. Performance-wise you shouldn't see anything drastic between the 6700k and 4790k, unless you absolutely need the DDR4 for something like video rendering. Just my 2 cents.

If money isn't the issue if I were you I would go for Skylake. Better ipc , newer technology and ddr4 support.Otherwise you can go for Haswell if you wanna save some money.

What will the pc be used for? If it's gaming then an i5 6600k would also be good.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

On 2/9/2016 at 3:28 AM, TheCODclown25 said:

a 6300 is nowhere comparable to a 6700k is the problem

its actually more comparable to something like an i3 from like... socket 775

On 2/9/2016 at 4:15 AM, UWotimus said:

Hello, I am beggining to plan a new build but im not sure wether to go with the newer i7 6700k or the older but cheaper i7 4790k. Is the skylake cpu worth spending extra on or should I go haswell? I am aware the skylake cpus have a new socket, would this be good for future-proofing?

The difference between the two is a small amount of baseline performance and better connectivity with Skylake, but the two are extremely close. The only thing that Skylake would really enable you to do that [mostly] can't be done with Haswell is plug in a lot of very high-bandwidth, PCIe-based SSDs. Most people are unlikely to use one PCIe SSD, let alone an array of them.

It comes down to how much you're being charged for a 6700K, since I don't know where you're located or what retailer you're buying from. The U.S. price for a 6700K right now is still ≥$400, and at that price it's definitely not worth the difference. If the price wherever you're buying is closer to the $350 MSRP, take Skylake.

Depending on the price difference. I would go with skylake:

- lower temperatures (Haswell gets hotter)

- slightly less power consuming

- faster architecture. GlobalFoundry did some tests,  Skylake can have like 17% better Frames

- M.2 in full speed (e ven if there is no practical Use)

- USB 3.1 Type C

Its the more modern platform. If you pay 40 bucks more? Go for it.

If it magically is like 100-120 bucks more, then... maybe not.

If you already have DDR3, and wants to use it, the price difference would be even higher.

All depends where you live. 6700k is in germany 363€, 4790k is 340€.

I personally would always go with the newest. Since in this case, the Platform itself made some good steps forward.

@ the fx 6300 troll: The FX 6300 is a LOW entry CPU from AMD. This thing is not even a Match for an i3 Dual Core in terms of Gaming.

Even the FX 9590 (8 Cores, 4,7 ghz) would get completely DESTROYED by an i7 6700k.

24 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

@ the fx 6300 troll: The FX 6300 is a LOW entry CPU from AMD. This thing is not even a Match for an i3 Dual Core in terms of Gaming.

Even the FX 9590 (8 Cores, 4,7 ghz) would get completely DESTROYED by an i7 6700k.

The guy already admitted he was misinformed, apologized, and still half the thread going forward has been about this.

Spoiler

5e8.jpg

Edited by typographie
Good point, threw spoiler tags around the image to keep things clean.

1 minute ago, typographie said:

The guy already admitted he was misinformed, apologized, and still half the thread going forward has been about this.

5e8.jpg

Oh i apologise. I don't have my glasses on, do you maybe have a bigger version of that Picture? I really can't see it.