Pretty sure my pc is dead.

TheDevilFrog
Go to solution Solved by MacAlisterL,
3 hours ago, ALwin said:

What are we supposed to do? Fly over to where you live and check it out?  Are you going to reimburse us for all the travel expenses including accommodation and meals while we're there?

The best thing you can do is unplug everything, open your case and check if there are any noticeable signs of damage.  Perhaps use your nose and sniff out where the smell of burnt electronics is strongest.

Bro... we don't need all of that disrespect for a person that just needs an honest opinion

Pretty sure my pc is dead, just need someone to confirm it before I go out buying new parts.

Before start, system specs;

Asrock 970 extreme 3

XFX r9270X

Amd rd 8150

Sandisk 120 gb SSD

Coolermaster water cooler.

Ok, so I was about to watch a movie so as normal, I unplugged the moniter and plugged in my tv using hdmi.

As soon as I did that, I could smell burnt chemical smell competing from my pcs exhaust fan, I quickly turned it off as you would. After letting it settle with the power off, turned it back on but seeing no outputs on either monitors. Pretty sure my gpu has burnt out. The fans are still spinning and everything is normal expect no output.

Any help clearing this up for me would be greatly appreciated.

typeing this on my tablet so sorry for any grammar or spelling errors.

Thanks in advance.

i would bring it to a store like memory express or ncix and have them do a full analysis

this way you know what parts are dead or not, and you can buy what needs to be replaced

then the stuff that isnt dead you can put in your new PC without worrying about those parts killing any of your new stuff

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It is most likeyl dead. When ever changing an input always powerdown the system. If you have a spare GPU lying around try using that.

What are we supposed to do? Fly over to where you live and check it out?  Are you going to reimburse us for all the travel expenses including accommodation and meals while we're there?

The best thing you can do is unplug everything, open your case and check if there are any noticeable signs of damage.  Perhaps use your nose and sniff out where the smell of burnt electronics is strongest.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

No need to get all salty. And I have all ready done what you said. But sure feel free to pop over and take a look :P

9 minutes ago, TheDevilFrog said:

Pretty sure my pc is dead, just need someone to confirm it before I go out buying new parts.

Before start, system specs;

Asrock 970 extreme 3

XFX r9270X

Amd rd 8150

Sandisk 120 gb SSD

Coolermaster water cooler.

Ok, so I was about to watch a movie so as normal, I unplugged the moniter and plugged in my tv using hdmi.

As soon as I did that, I could smell burnt chemical smell competing from my pcs exhaust fan, I quickly turned it off as you would. After letting it settle with the power off, turned it back on but seeing no outputs on either monitors. Pretty sure my gpu has burnt out. The fans are still spinning and everything is normal expect no output.

Any help clearing this up for me would be greatly appreciated.

typeing this on my tablet so sorry for any grammar or spelling errors.

Thanks in advance.

gpu/psu probably died

rip 20(whateverxd)-2016

1 minute ago, TheDevilFrog said:

No need to get all salty. And I have all ready done what you said. But sure feel free to pop over and take a look :P

Oh I'm not salty, I just think it's dumb to ask for help online when common sense dictates that you check what might be damaged and see how it can be repaired or replaced instead of asking the Internet for help when it's almost certain no one can.

PS: If I come, I charge by the hour which is starts at $200/hr and that doesn't include other expenses.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

3 hours ago, ALwin said:

Bro... we don't need all of that disrespect for a person that just needs an honest opinion

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

What PSU? And once again, this forum continues to prove that there's no low you can sink to for flame wars.

Flame wars aren't even allowed either

7 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

What PSU? And once again, this forum continues to prove that there's no low you can sink to for flame wars.

Ah, sorry about not including it, its a cooler master v650

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Really peculiar since that's actually a pretty good unit. Where did the smoke come from in particular?

Not too sure, since I only have 1 exhaust, its hard to tell, but I think it was the gpu.

Just now, TheDevilFrog said:

Not too sure, since I only have 1 exhaust, its hard to tell, but I think it was the gpu.

If it was the GPU, which I doubt it, then it probably got fried by the PSU hardcore.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

If it was the GPU, which I doubt it, then it probably got fried by the PSU hardcore.

Ok, how would I go around fixing this? Is it repairable? Is the gpu and psu dead? Thanks for your help so far.

Just now, TheDevilFrog said:

Ok, how would I go around fixing this? Is it repairable? Is the gpu and psu dead? Thanks for your help so far.

Chances are, both are dead. I wouldn't take the chance of getting a new PSU and attempting to salvage the rest of the parts save for the hard drives.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

24 minutes ago, MacAlisterL said:

That WAS my honest opinion.  There's no way anyone can help the OP over the Internet, unless you or someone else is willing to buy the OP a replacement GPU, PSU or whatever was damaged.  And I for one am not willing to buy and send the OP any replacement part.

We can't perform a hardware diagnosis over the Internet, and we certainly cannot desolder whatever component that fried on the circuit board and solder on a new one.

Here's an even more honest opinion.  The OP is screwed! He/she/it will have to go buy a replacement part or parts.  $$Kaching$$! for the store.