Evga Dark VS ASUS Rampage IV Extreme

Ok so I'm building an editing computer that will be handling 2.5k video res from a bmcc.

Basically, these motherboards are the same price. I know a lot of you are going to want to go for the rampage, but overclocking is not a priority.

I'm gonna be using a 3930k with this, and i prefer the evga for its color scheme.

I know that they both will be able to take the 3930k to at least 4.5Ghz, and thats as far as i intend to go because i dont think an h100i could handle any more hertz.

Whats the major difference between these? They seem exactly the same.

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

don't get EVGA, just had too many problems with their motherboards, if you have the money, sure, but I would recommend a Maximus IV extreme because it has lots of support

I know that there previous boards have a bad rep but the Dark is looking pretty killer.

I can't find one bad review for it, although that could be just because its new. 

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

I know that there previous boards have a bad rep but the Dark is looking pretty killer.

I can't find one bad review for it, although that could be just because its new. 

exactly, the ASUS board has been on the market for around 2 years now, I would stick with it as good ol' reliable, the Dark is new and might have new upcoming issues

i've only ever bought asus mobos, so of course i'd rather recommend them as i'm comfortable. havent heard enough of the x79 mobo to tell you if you should get it or not tho

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

Man, only if the Rampage came in all black...

They do... Asus only made 2 of those... :(

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Ok so I'm building an editing computer that will be handling 2.5k video res from a bmcc.

Basically, these motherboards are the same price. I know a lot of you are going to want to go for the rampage, but overclocking is not a priority.

I'm gonna be using a 3930k with this, and i prefer the evga for its color scheme.

I know that they both will be able to take the 3930k to at least 4.5Ghz, and thats as far as i intend to go because i dont think an h100i could handle any more hertz.

Whats the major difference between these? They seem exactly the same.

Oh, why 3930K? The 4940K is coming out in a few days.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

they have an all black rampage, but there are only a couple in existance and one was given away and the others where used in builds, I think Paul Tan got to use them in his builds

they have an all black rampage, but there are only a couple in existance and one was given away and 5 where used in builds, I think Paul Tan got to use them in his builds

O.o Asus made 6 of those? I read a tweet from ROG that they only made 2 of those...

O.o Asus made 6 of those? I read a tweet from ROG that they only made 2 of those...

dunno how many were made

Ah. 3 were made, only 2 is available to the public.

Get an Asus workstation MOBO.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

None of the above. Get the new Asus x79 Deluxe, should be out next week. http://techreport.com/review/25310/asus-x79-deluxe-motherboard-reviewed

And also i really want the evga dark to be awesome, but with how bad the review are on all the other boards, i dont want to be a $400 guinea pig. If the dark gets like 5/5 eggs on newegg for like 20-30 reviews, i might consider it.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

You'll be able to get 4.5-4.6 if you get a chip like mine with a 3930k on the h100i, I managed 4.6 but temps start hitting 79-82 c-ish.  I'd say the rampage but if newer boards are coming out soon I'd say wait and see.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

They are about to release one for sale.

Rampage-IV-Black-Edition-1-723x1000.jpg

Though not to be confused with the previous (non-real product) Rampage IV Extreme in blackthe official Rampage IV Black Edition is a whole new product you can buy with a full stack of 2013 ROG innovations:

• Ivy Bridge-E optimized design
  • The only ROG with an all-black color-scheme.
  • SupremeFX Formula [2013] with WIMA and ELNA capacitors, OpAmp headphone amplifier and 120dB SNR.
  • Sonic Radar software
  • Extreme Engine DIGI+ III (VRM design)
  • 802.11ac Wi-Fi
  • 12 SATA [8 SATA 6Gbps]
  • 8 USB 3.0
  • USB BIOS Flashback
  • 2013 UEFI updates, including Secure Erase, Last Modified Log, Quick Note and ROG Pulse (see more on our innovations page)

Additionally the ROG team went through 5 full layout designs to find the best possible 8 DIMM memory layout topology, and where the ROG team was working on the five new Z87 boards in the first half on this year, that whole team has focused efforts on just the Black Edition this time around!

Rampage-IV-Black-Edition-2-1000x727.jpgRampage-IV-Black-Edition-3-1000x687.jpg

*Please note there will be some minor design changes before the final version is launched.