Fusion-io Gets Creamed By NVMe - Fusion ioMemory SX300 Review

It's me!

This SSD costs nearly $18,000 and loses out to just about every NVMe SSD out there. Insane pricing! There is no way I would pay even half of that for this kind of performance. They couldn't even hit the specs!

The ioMemory SX300 offers 1.25, 1.6 and 3.2TB capacity points in the slim HHHL form factor, and also features a FHHL card with a beefy 6.4TB capacity. Performance varies by capacity, with the 3.2TB model we are evaluating today offering the best performance of up to 345,000/385,000 random 4K random read/write IOPS.

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/sandisk-fusion-iomemory-sx300-ssd,2-1004.html

This product uses Micron's NAND 128Gbit 20nm MLC so I don't understand the high price.

A good choice go with Micron as it does make some of the best memory chips out there (parent company of Crucial).

Bloated price.

OP, you might want to spruce up your post. Its lacking.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Maybe for x100 less I'd get.

Can only hope drives like this to seriously drop in price in near future.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Well add this to the list of things not to buy....did it have an enterprise features that would give it any distinction?

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

12 hours ago, It's me! said:

This SSD costs nearly $18,000 and loses out to just about every NVMe SSD out there. Insane pricing! There is no way I would pay even half of that for this kind of performance. They couldn't even hit the specs!

These drives are intended for enterprise, datacenter, and high density use. They are not intended for your typical everyday consumer applications.

With 1.8 DWPD, or 5.76TB of writes per day for the 3.2TB model, it's designed for high speed random IO, for example high speed databases etc. Coupled with high reliability with a guarantee for read/write endurance, this would be well worth it to companies where cost doesn't matter and they need mission critical reliability.

You or I would never be able to fully utilise this kind of performance; I guarantee the most demanding thing you do in regards to performance is booting up your PC or possibly playing a game. This class of drive has not, will not, and will never be marketed to or intended for consumers.

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

On 2/6/2016 at 7:22 PM, SansVarnic said:

This product uses Micron's NAND 128Gbit 20nm MLC so I don't understand the high price.

A good choice go with Micron as it does make some of the best memory chips out there (parent company of Crucial).

Bloated price.

I agree, there is no reason for it to be so expensive, other SSDs in that test used the same NAND and are much cheaper. Sorry if the post is lacking!

On 6/2/2016 at 3:57 PM, huilun02 said:

Appears to be made for enterprise server use. So of course it has to have a stupid price tag.

On 6/2/2016 at 0:07 AM, HexaGuy said:

These drives are intended for enterprise, datacenter, and high density use. They are not intended for your typical everyday consumer applications.

With 1.8 DWPD, or 5.76TB of writes per day for the 3.2TB model, it's designed for high speed random IO, for example high speed databases etc. Coupled with high reliability with a guarantee for read/write endurance, this would be well worth it to companies where cost doesn't matter and they need mission critical reliability.

You or I would never be able to fully utilise this kind of performance; I guarantee the most demanding thing you do in regards to performance is booting up your PC or possibly playing a game. This class of drive has not, will not, and will never be marketed to or intended for consumers.

Issue is they're still stupidly expensive for what they are. Intel have the 3608 which is a 4TB NVME drive capable of 12TB write per day over their lifespan of 5 years but costs nothing close to the SX300.

On 2/6/2016 at 8:22 PM, SansVarnic said:

Bloated price.

Because it's been the only game in town for enterprise users for a long time. The price will collapse soon, and Fusion-IO will come out with a new product in time.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd