Google targets fake 'Play' and 'Download' buttons

Guest Kloaked

Original articlehttps://torrentfreak.com/google-targets-fake-download-and-play-buttons-160204/

Before I get into this, I just wanna say IT'S ABOUT BLEEPIN' TIME, GOOGLE.

The aim on most file-sharing and streaming sites is for users to either download or play content, whether that’s the former to their hard drive or the latter in a YouTube-style window.

It should be straightforward but all too often users are presented with an array of buttons, all of which claim to either ‘download’ or ‘play’ when in reality only one actually does anything useful. In conjunction with suspect advertisers, it appears that some site operators are happy to send users down a rabbit hole of frustration.

Again, it's about time, Google. This has been going on for way too long; fake advertisements, fake download buttons. You all know what those are.

Now, I know Google isn't the only one with a major hand in the internet today, but they are the largest advertising company in the world so this shit should have been dealt with the moment they started popping up. It's annoying to see a big ass DOWNLOAD button while the actual download button that users are supposed to be clicking on is way smaller and for some reason, more hard to find.

“You may have encountered social engineering in a deceptive download button, or an image ad that falsely claims your system is out of date. Today, we’re expanding Safe Browsing protection to protect you from such deceptive embedded content, like social engineering ads,” the company says.

Those receiving protection from Google and its Chrome browser will be presented with a message similar to the one below.

deceptive-google.png

You can read more about this on TorrentFreak, but this is pretty much what Google is aiming to do.

I don't personally think this is enough. The people behind the fake shit need to get shafted, and hard. It's unbelievable this has gone on for as long as it has.

I know people here are going to say "Well get gut m8 or use AdBlock lel". Look here, mateys: anyone should be able to browse the web and not have to be in-the-know to safely browse the web. No, non-tech savvy people do not deserve to have their machines infected with malware because they don't know any better. *hops off soap box*

Anyhow, this is great. This should have happened a long time ago, but this is great.

I cant stand all those fake download buttons when you are trying to download something.

I just look for the one that looks the most integrated to the site.

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

That is cutting off revenue from everyone that has been declined by google adsense or falsely banned from it as I have.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 minute ago, thekeemo said:

That is cutting off revenue from everyone that has been declined by google adsense or falsely banned from it as I have.

Good.

Just now, Kloaked said:

Good.

Good that people that have been banned from adsense for BS reasons can no longer make money from their content?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Good that people that have been banned from adsense for BS reasons can no longer make money from their content?

?

Article is talking about the fake ass buttons.

Just now, Kloaked said:

?

Article is talking about the fake ass buttons.

Yes 99% of google adsense alternatives have them

Just now, thekeemo said:

Yes 99% of google adsense alternatives have them

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but the buttons being flagged is a good thing. They're fake. That's dumb. They shouldn't be there.

Just now, Kloaked said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but the buttons being flagged is a good thing. They're fake. That's dumb. They shouldn't be there.

All im saying is that this will hurt people google has hurt hard.

Just now, thekeemo said:

All im saying is that this will hurt people google has hurt hard.

K. So the people making fake advertisements will lose funding.

Good.

Just now, Kloaked said:

K. So the people making fake advertisements will lose funding.

Good.

What? no.

Say you start a site and use adsense.

You get banned from adsense for a BS reason.

You start using alternative advertising services which pay alot less because the ads are worse (see fake download) because google has a monopoly on good ads

Your site gets flagged as malware and the little you make from your site is now gone.

What? no.

You start using alternative advertising services which pay alot less because the ads are worse (see fake download) because google has a monopoly on good ads

Your site gets flagged as malware and the little you make from your site is now gone.

I don't know how anyone can stomach making money off of blatantly fake advertisements.

Just now, Kloaked said:

I don't know how anyone can stomach making money off of blatantly fake advertisements.

Having no choice.

Just now, thekeemo said:

Having no choice.

You do, but we're getting off topic.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

You do, but we're getting off topic.

Send me a PM telling me what that choice is if you get banned and have put lots of effort in your site app whatever it is.

4 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Send me a PM telling me what that choice is if you get banned and have put lots of effort in your site app whatever it is.

The choice is to not make fake ass adverts.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Just now, Lazmarr said:

The choice is to not make fake ass adverts.

You dont choose the ads that get displayed on your site... or make them...

3 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

You dont choose the ads that get displayed on your site... or make them...

I would have to disagree there. If it is your site then you can of course set the rules as to what are deemed acceptable ads; thus directly influencing the creation and appearence of the ad (something more legitimate than a fake ass ad).

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Just now, Lazmarr said:

I would have to disagree there. If it is your site then you can of course set the rules as to what are deemed acceptable ads; thus directly influencing the creation and appearence of the ad (something more legitimate than a fake ass ad).

Yes. If you are using adsense.

Not with the others.

3 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Yes. If you are using adsense.

Not with the others.

Please elaborate, what has adsense got to do with a site you create?

If it is your site then you can tell those companies wanting to display illegitimate ads that they can't display those ads unless they advertise something.

Just now, Lazmarr said:

Please elaborate, what has adsense got to do with a site you create?

If it is your site then you can tell those companies wanting to display illegitimate that they can't display those ads unless they advertise something.

You dont work with the advertisers you work with the ad provider like adsense

All you do is make an account and you get some code with javascript that has an identifier for your site.

Ads are chosen depending on the tags you give your site.

With adsense you can say for instance I only want computer hardware ads.

With other ad providers you cant choose the content of the ad you get you only choose text or photo and size.

23 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

What? no.

What are the "BS reasons" you can get banned from AdSense for?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

9 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

What are the "BS reasons" you can get banned from AdSense for?

Having a high click rate.

Someone is fraudulently clicking the ads on your site.

Rapid growth.

Did I mention that they say nothing about why you are banned? And that appeals do nothing?

http://glossynews.com/entertainment/internet/201306060626/google-adsense-bans-us-after-10-yrs-together-evil-suspected/

http://www.businessinsider.com/19-year-old-lost-46000-in-google-adsense-rules-ban-2014-8

Made a post that went viral after a period of low traffic? BANNED

Someone mistakenly thought clicking ads repeatedly supports you? BANNED

No warnings nothing.

And any earnings you have not collected go back to google.

Speaking of ads, you know what ads amaze me. The ones that say "Minecraft Play Free Here Online". They are obviously not official, but they blatantly use the actual Minecraft logo. It amazes me they can get away with it.

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man