BQ Aquaris M10 Ubuntu Edition: Canonical's first Ubuntu tablet

tablet-amd-monitor-convergence-ubuntu.jp

Link from Canonical

Canonical’s long held vision of a single, converged personal computing experience took an important step forward today with the launch of the first fully converged Ubuntu device – the Aquaris M10 Ubuntu Edition tablet.  Shipping with the latest Ubuntu software, the device features a dynamically adaptive user experience, capable of  providing both a true tablet experience and the full Ubuntu desktop experience

Article from Pocketnow

A few years back, it seemed like being ahead of the curve with mobile gadgets meant carrying as many as your pockets would allow: you had your phone, maybe a tablet, and packed your bag with a laptop, camera, and no shortage of accessories. And while we still love being packed to the brim and ready for whatever the day throws at us, there’s a new focus on simplifying our mobile lives, and moving to devices that do double (if not more) duty. Microsoft’s stirred up such interest with Continuum on Windows 10 Mobile, and Canonical’s been pushing a similar agenda with Ubuntu on mobile devices, connecting to PC hardware and replicating a desktop experience. Last month we heard a little about the new Ubuntu tablet from Bq that would do just that, and this week Canonical shares further details about the tablet and its release plans.

Article from OMG! Ubuntu!

Article from the Verge

FrontPortraitNews_600pxDsc06378.0

About time they release a hardware to showcase Ubuntu's Convergence feature.  I hope to see some reviews on this device soon (especially from LinusTechTips).  The only thing I'm worried about is that this tablet seems underpowered.

Microsoft's Continuum vs. Canonical's Convergence

Dsc06378.0

Canonical says it isn’t worried about the overlap between the two companies though. "We share a vision with Microsoft," says Silber. "I think they see have a very similar view of what’s happening in the personal computing space." She adds: "On the one hand it’s competition, on the other hand it’s reinforcement."

It's a cool thing that Canonical sees Microsoft's vision with Continuum as a good thing.  I do remember them saying something like that a year or 2 before Windows 10 was announced.

I would really love to see these 2 being compared. Pros and cons, stuff like that.

Specs and Information

bq-comparison-chart.jpg

“We’re bringing you everything you’ve come to expect from your Ubuntu PC, now on the tablet with BQ, soon on smartphones. This isn’t a phone interface stretched to desktop size – it’s the right user experience and interaction model for the given situation,” says Canonical CEO Jane Silber.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

I'm REALLY interested to see how this pans out. Actually I'll probably look into getting it on my SP3. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

it’s the right user experience and interaction model for the given situation

It better be... if it is not this, then I think it will fail miserably. 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Interesting.. but when I see mediatek I kind of want to burn it in fire

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

30 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Mediatek makes good chips, but they really should stick to tablets instead of phones. Just because they can't seem to master the ~1Watt or less game doesn't mean their 3W chips aren't great for tablets (and the Helio X20 and X30 are great tablet chips).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 hour ago, ShadowCaptain said:

They aren't bad, they work fine as a budget option 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

project arale -> convergence done right!

i think this may end up being my second attempt at tablets

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>