Moving over to linux for first time

Hi, I have decided to move over to Linux. This is a new thing for me, I have chosen my OS ubuntu with an OSX theme so I can use it easily. I need help to get games working and ways to install things like notepad ++ or have an alternative for software ill need. If I could have some help with things ill need and basis it would be great. 

if youre a gamer why are you switching to linux

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, josh_frawley97 said:

Fed up of viruses and errors all the time. Upgraded to windows but only use it to play games otherwise I use OSX

Literally never get any of those

You could run Windows in coherence mode through parallels so you can run windows programs without seeing windows

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just now, josh_frawley97 said:

Fed up of viruses and errors all the time. Upgraded to windows but only use it to play games otherwise I use OSX

someone whos fed up of viruses sure does know how to get them on any OS. lol.

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

Geany and GEdit are good alternatives to Notepad++. 

PlayOnLinux is what you will use to install windows games, if your game is not listed then it is probably more work than it is worth. Of course there is Steam for Ubuntu.

Lord of Helium.

1 minute ago, josh_frawley97 said:

If your fed up with errors then it sounds like you just want something to work easily. If thats the case then stay away from linux. It will need your attention a lot more than windows will and it will require you to learn how to use its command line.

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Literally never get any of those

You could run Windows in coherence mode through parallels so you can run windows programs without seeing windows

Thanks I want to dual boot so i can work on Linux and play games on windows.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

4 minutes ago, josh_frawley97 said:

Thanks I want to dual boot so i can work on Linux and play games on windows.

Ah I see

Honestly I find linux complicated and horrible to use, but maybe you will enjoy it, getting stuff you want to work is not that straight forward

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If your looking for ease of use, Linux is probably a step in the wrong direction.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

I picked a Mint, so I can't comment on the distribution you choose.  But I have found it easy to use, and I like it better than the Windows 7 I was using previously.  My only real complaint so far is that if a program isn't in the software repository, it is more complicated to install than in Windows.  But if you are smart enough to install an OS, you are smart enough to figure it out.

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

If your looking for ease of use, Linux is probably a step in the wrong direction.

I'm not looking to ease of use I'm looking for a OS that will allow me to do what I want and won't move my files locations without telling me. I like the idea of Linux and want to give it ago. I'll be using it for college work so assignments and java, PHP and HTML coding. 

3 minutes ago, josh_frawley97 said:

I'm not looking to ease of use I'm looking for a OS that will allow me to do what I want and won't move my files locations without telling me. I like the idea of Linux and want to give it ago. I'll be using it for college work so assignments and java, PHP and HTML coding. 

I don't think Windows will just move files without something telling it to.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

11 hours ago, josh_frawley97 said:

Hi, I have decided to move over to Linux. This is a new thing for me, I have chosen my OS ubuntu with an OSX theme so I can use it easily. I need help to get games working and ways to install things like notepad ++ or have an alternative for software ill need. If I could have some help with things ill need and basis it would be great. 

Um honestly...i would not normally say this but depending on your pc specs you might be better off going osx86/hackintosh route depending how how close your hardware is not normal macs...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

For linux mint which I tried more games work then on my windows xp which I swiched out on old pc. Pretty much most games run linux just might need some workarounds

For games, some run using WINE (which is something like an emulator), but there are lots of titles on Steam available for Linux. For the list, look here: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=&sort_by=_ASC&os=linux&page=1

For development, you have lots of options. I personally use gedit for quick edits - generally small stuff and I use Atom as my IDE for development, even though it's not a full-fledged IDE.

There are quite a few other editors worth mentioning. If you are on KDE, you might use an editor called Kate instead of gedit, which is for GNOME-based desktops. Geany is a nice GTK-based universal IDE, but I found it lacking some features so I went with Atom. Microsoft actually released their editor Visual Studio Code for Linux. It's okay, but it's like a cut down version of Atom.