Spilled a bit of water on my corsair strafe rgb

Disestablishmentarianism

i spilled just a little bit of water on my strafe rgb with blue switches, at the time i thought it was so little that nothing would hurt, so i left it plugged in, out of nowhere, the escape key, and numbers 2 - 7 went pink. ( i had it on all white at the time) at the same time, 6 and 7 were being registered intermittently without me touching them. i unplugged it.  

i then plugged it in 15 minutes later,  like a moron. and it turned on the all white profile with the pink keys like i was mentioning earlier, then it was switching between the white keys, and the factory profile, and some of the f keys were flickering when it went to the factory profile.

did something short out really bad and im screwed? or will it dry out?

im kinda freaking out that i just threw away 150$

Probably fine after drying out for a bit.

Patience is going to be your best friend here.

I've spilled several cokes and ice tea's on my previous keyboards when I was younger, and I'd put it on the central heating and it would work just fine 2 days later.

Thank you guys for the advice. The other question I have is; would it hurt to plug it in once in a while to see if it's fixed?

3 hours ago, Disestablishmentarianism said:

would it hurt to plug it in once in a while to see if it's fixed?

Well if it's not fixed, you're going to risk it breaking by running electricity through it while there might still be water/moisture in it.

Just be patient and let it dry for a few days minimum.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

30 minutes ago, olbaze said:

Well if it's not fixed, you're going to risk it breaking by running electricity through it while there might still be water/moisture in it.

Just be patient and let it dry for a few days minimum.

do you think i already ruined it by having it plugged in for a bit?

17 minutes ago, Disestablishmentarianism said:

do you think i already ruined it by having it plugged in for a bit?

Well, until you dry it out and see what happens, that's not really a question you should be asking. Honestly, you're looking at 3 mistakes being made here: 1. Spilling in the first place. 2. Ignoring the spill 3. Improper delayed reaction to the spill. Making any one of these mistakes is already bad enough.

But yes, they don't tell you to unplug it without a reason. You know that water conducts electricity, right? Best case scenario, the issues you were seeing were caused by the water temporarily messing shit up in the keyboard. The keyboard might feel like the most solid thing on the planet and something that you could use to beat someone to death with, but inside it's full of extremely delicate, extremely tightly packed electronics.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

8 minutes ago, olbaze said:

Well, until you dry it out and see what happens, that's not really a question you should be asking. Honestly, you're looking at 3 mistakes being made here: 1. Spilling in the first place. 2. Ignoring the spill 3. Improper delayed reaction to the spill. Making any one of these mistakes is already bad enough.

But yes, they don't tell you to unplug it without a reason. You know that water conducts electricity, right? Best case scenario, the issues you were seeing were caused by the water temporarily messing shit up in the keyboard. The keyboard might feel like the most solid thing on the planet and something that you could use to beat someone to death with, but inside it's full of extremely delicate, extremely tightly packed electronics.

I don't think I was clear enough as to what happened, I barely spilled any at all. I more or less just knocked and shook the bottle, and I immediately started pulling the keycaps and dabbing the few TINY drops that were there. I didn't see a drop of water when I was done. I'm very surprised this happened.

I forgot to put the cap back on my bottle of water, everyone makes mistakes.

1 hour ago, Disestablishmentarianism said:

I don't think I was clear enough as to what happened, I barely spilled any at all. I more or less just knocked and shook the bottle, and I immediately started pulling the keycaps and dabbing the few TINY drops that were there. I didn't see a drop of water when I was done. I'm very surprised this happened.

I forgot to put the cap back on my bottle of water, everyone makes mistakes.

Well, I hope you learned something from this. Yes, everyone makes mistakes. Yes, it's not a question of if you make a mistake but when you make the mistake.

I have ruined at least 2 keyboards by spilling stuff on my desk; I knocked over a soda glass I had on my desk, some of it managed to make its way to my keyboards and ruined them. I have also had to wash my mousepads because of spills.

Nowadays, I keep my drinks on an empty shelf next to me. I have still spilled stuff (you know, carbonated drinks are a pain like that) but the worst that it has done is get a few droplets on the side of my computer case. I used to use a wooden chair as a sort of mini-desk where I kept my laptop or drink/food.

I hope I'm not coming off as preachy. It just pains me to see people doing the things I used to do. It makes me even sadder to see people make the same mistakes I did and shrug them off as a one-off thing that will never happen again; exactly the way I did. I've already learned the lesson the hard way, you don't need to do the same.

7 hours ago, Disestablishmentarianism said:

Thank you guys for the advice. The other question I have is; would it hurt to plug it in once in a while to see if it's fixed?

I wouldn't suggest that. For now, let it dry out for a couple of days before plugging it back in. There is no way to find out at the moment if your KB has been damaged or not, best is to wait until you connect it again. 

I'd like to thank everyone who replied. today i put it up to a fan and let it sit all day, plugged it in and it works flawlessly.

Put your cup away from your keyboard. Put the cup like 50cm away from the keyboard or something

• 4 years later...
On 2/4/2016 at 7:51 PM, Disestablishmentarianism said:

i spilled just a little bit of water on my strafe rgb with blue switches, at the time i thought it was so little that nothing would hurt, so i left it plugged in, out of nowhere, the escape key, and numbers 2 - 7 went pink. ( i had it on all white at the time) at the same time, 6 and 7 were being registered intermittently without me touching them. i unplugged it.  

i then plugged it in 15 minutes later,  like a moron. and it turned on the all white profile with the pink keys like i was mentioning earlier, then it was switching between the white keys, and the factory profile, and some of the f keys were flickering when it went to the factory profile.

did something short out really bad and im screwed? or will it dry out?

im kinda freaking out that i just threw away 150$

same thing happened to me, my keyboard is razer blackwidow elite. my /, number 2 on the numpad and certain keys doesn't turn off because i have my keyboard lights set up on purple. certain keys turned into mint green and can't turn it off unless i unplugged it. hope this would work, i set up a fan with my keyboard in front of it so that it would dry up the next day i use it. glad to see that it solved yours

Stupid question that I'd like to input for something like this...would a hair dryer help speed up the process??

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"