16GB vs 32GB of Ram

90% bragging rights 10% future proofing is it worth getting 32GB of Corsair Domination Platinum DDR4 with the top bar gold plated.

Should I? I mean how long will it be till 32GB is used?

For gaming? Not for a very long time. Same goes for a workstation build, although to a lesser extent.

If you have money to burn...I'm not stopping ya.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Not anytime soon my friend. If it's worth your money, go ahead. Might be useful if you are someone who does professional work.

For Chrome? All of it, right now. xD

4lpVkTS.gif

Only Rig: CPU I7 6700K @ 4.7Ghz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P | GPU GTX 1080 TI Founders Edition With Hybrid Cooler Installed | RAM G.Skill NT Series 16GB DDR4 @ 2600Mhz | CPU Heatsink Corsair H100i V2 | SSD Kingston V300 Series 240GB | SSD Generic 120GB M.2| HDD Western Digital Blue 750GB (10 years old) | HDD Seagate Barracuda 500GB | HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold | Case NZXT S340 Elite | Monitor BenQ XL2730Z 144Hz 1440P | KB Corsair K70 LUX | Mouse Logitech G402 | Headset  Logitech G933

Depends. Do you have 16GB now? and if so is it mostly all being used?

Mine was, which is why I went from 16 to 32.

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5Ghz MB: Rampage V Extreme GPU: Titan X (self OC) Mem: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 @ 3000 PSU: Corsair AX1200i With Green/Black Sleeved Cablemod Cables, Case: Corsair 900D KB: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry Red, Mouse: Logitech G502 + Destructor 2 Mat, Sound: Logitech Z623 Speakers, Display: 2x Samsung BX2440's, Cooling: Corsair H100i on CPU. 5x 140mm Intake fans + 1x 140mm Exhaust.

32GB of Ram:

Need it? Fuck no.

Future proofing? Buy it latter on.

Bragging rights? Just use a registry hack and pretend you have more ram... buy it then.

Thats more like 100% bragging rights as 16 to 32 is 100% more you dont need :P

well I have 16gb atm I have only ran out of ram once with this but it can get up to 12gb easily so I'm thinking it could be worth it.

If you want to use it also as a RAM Disk maybe, but 16gb+ is usually worthless, maybe if you edit on a professional degree ^_^

For gaming, Fuck no, for intense workstation use, most likely yes, bragging rights with 32GB no, people are bragging with 128GB so 32 is kindda yesterday 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

You only need 8GB stop kidding yourself.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

If you're just gaming then indeed even 8 GB would be enough. (I have only experience with 1080p gaming).

But when you want to be using it for video editing (specially 4K editing) or something then you should take 32 GB.

1 minute ago, Applepiee said:

If you're just gaming then indeed even 8 GB would be enough. (I have only experience with 1080p gaming).

But when you want to be using it for video editing (specially 4K editing) or something then you should take 32 GB.

Video editing is not that RAM intensive.

3 minutes ago, LokiFire said:

Video editing is not that RAM intensive.

Yea? Try After Effects. You'll see the power of ram eating software

Just now, Applepiee said:

Yea? Try After Effects. You'll see the power of ram eating software

Use better software.

18 minutes ago, LokiFire said:

You only need 8GB stop kidding yourself.

I had 8gb, and Windows gave me error messages, my System doesnt have enough ram, i should close Chrome.

If you're having 1 Game up, and every other application is closed, then yea. 8gb is okay.

But if you have CHrome/Firefox with 30+ Tabs up, some other stuff, and still want to play a game, without closing everything. Then yes, 8gb will NOT be enough. Go for 16. 

Nowadays i wouldnt go with 8 at All, since the pric e difference is so small.

Just now, Applepiee said:

I don't think that you know what you're talking about.

I video edit all the time, i barely go over 2GB usage with RAW video in upwards of 250000 bit rate, people like to exaggerate.

I video edit all the time, i barely go over 2GB usage with RAW video in upwards of 250000 bit rate, people like to exaggerate.

Just opened up mine and pressed preview.

Screenshot_13.png.85a831f2dfbd27018fdcd3

3 minutes ago, Applepiee said:

Just opened up mine and pressed preview.

Screenshot_13.png.85a831f2dfbd27018fdcd3

Then you must be doing something wrong, video editing is not hard on RAM lol, then again some of it buffers in my GPU and uses Vram perhaps why?