GPU runs extremely hot even when I'm doing nothing

thedragon0000

my GPU's temp is nearly 70oC today, fans are normal. I think it could be my room temp but it's never reached 70oC before (45oC top - in a tropical country with no air condition). So can you help me, I don't think thermal paste is the problem because I just bought my GPU 7 months ago

What GPU is it? Are you sure it's 45c in the room? 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

If it just popped up today, check and see if a new driver came out, amd recently had an issue with its release of crimson software that caused gpu's to run hot, if not, check your background processes, more likely than not, processes are not the issue, but it doesnt hurt to check,,,

Just now, App4that said:

What GPU is it? Are you sure it's 45c in the room? 

GTX 980ti, it was nearly 70oC 15 minutes ago, and my room temp is about 36oC right now, air conditioner is busted but the GPU has never reached this heat before

3 minutes ago, Virtual01 said:

Some guy had a similar problem, turns out he accidentally turned on shadowplay desktop capture. So check for that.

so how can i check this ?

So from what I understood, the temperatures were fine for +6 months and this problem appeared only now?

Install Open Hardware Monitor and check what rpm is your gpu running at. Now open a game and check the rpm again, did it increase? If so, good, that means fans are probably not the problem. (Check what is your GPU maximum RPM speed on the original manufacturers website).

So if the fans are not the problem, what else could it be? My uneducated guess that it might be thermal pastes fault afterall, since it probably dissapears (don't know the right word) faster than it would for non-tropical country users due the extra heat.

1 minute ago, GauntletV2 said:

If it just popped up today, check and see if a new driver came out, amd recently had an issue with its release of crimson software that caused gpu's to run hot, if not, check your background processes, more likely than not, processes are not the issue, but it doesnt hurt to check,,,

I'm using 980ti but thanks i saw an update for GPU drivers, i'll try

2 minutes ago, thedragon0000 said:

so how can i check this ?

There is a shadowplay button in geforce experience

2 minutes ago, Virtual01 said:

There is a shadowplay button in geforce experience

it's off, but i'm trying to install new driver from Nvidia, don't know what it could help.

2 minutes ago, thedragon0000 said:

it's off, but i'm trying to install new driver from Nvidia, don't know what it could help.

There's gotta be a load coming from somewhere, even if its somehow 45C in your room the other 25C is coming from somewhere. Is your card on silent mode maybe? Check your fan curve. Also do a virus scan in case something is placing a load on your computer without you knowing.

Also, are you using a 144hz monitor? I've had problems in the past where my GPU would run full speed at idle because of the increased refresh rate. Changing it to 120hz fixed the problem. That said, even with fans at 0 RPM I doubt it would cause that high of a temperature.

Check for any case fan failure - reduced airflow throughout your case can drastically degrade the cooling ability of the component fans inside.

Also try rolling back to a previous graphics driver if you recently updated yours.

Check nvidia's notification icon (available through nvidias control panel) to see if any processes are being hosted by the nvidia GPU that you are unaware of.

Let me know if it helped.

philjo

13 minutes ago, Totalimus said:

So from what I understood, the temperatures were fine for +6 months and this problem appeared only now?

Install Open Hardware Monitor and check what rpm is your gpu running at. Now open a game and check the rpm again, did it increase? If so, good, that means fans are probably not the problem. (Check what is your GPU maximum RPM speed on the original manufacturers website).

So if the fans are not the problem, what else could it be? My uneducated guess that it might be thermal pastes fault afterall, since it probably dissapears (don't know the right word) faster than it would for non-tropical country users due the extra heat.

i tested the witcher 3, 79oC with 40%-45% fan speed (MSI afterburner) , but when i click this " 12658036_1729962737240180_19074863262838 "

. Temp drops significantly at 67oC.

23 minutes ago, Totalimus said:

fans are normal though

14 minutes ago, Virtual01 said:

There's gotta be a load coming from somewhere, even if its somehow 45C in your room the other 25C is coming from somewhere. Is your card on silent mode maybe? Check your fan curve. Also do a virus scan in case something is placing a load on your computer without you knowing.

Also, are you using a 144hz monitor? I've had problems in the past where my GPU would run full speed at idle because of the increased refresh rate. Changing it to 120hz fixed the problem. That said, even with fans at 0 RPM I doubt it would cause that high of a temperature.

60Hz , virus scan show nothing is strange, well time to change thermal paste

Well I mean you should start to worry about gpu temperetures only when they are sitting constantly at 80 degrees. Anything below that is normal at load, especially for a powerful card like 980 ti.

Are we talking about Idle Temps here?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO