reportedly, google wants more control over the Nexus devices

zMeul

source: https://www.theinformation.com/google-signals-apple-like-direction-for-nexus-phones
via: http://www.androidauthority.com/670768-670768/

nexus-logo.png

The move would be the latest step by Google to make Nexus phones more like the iPhone, which is controlled by Apple top to bottom, and strengthen Android’s brand overall in order to capture more share at the high end of the market that Apple dominates. Google doesn’t want its revenue-generating services for high-end smartphones to be at the mercy of Apple like they are now.

---

Google already contracted manufacturing of Nexus devies to OEMs like Samsung, Motorola, LG and Huawei

at one point Google owned Motorola, and this is why I find the news rather strange
in 2012, Google CEO Larry Page announced that Google had closed on its deal to acquire Motorola Mobility - two years later, Google sells the division to Lenovo

my take on why Google wants control of the HW
it's because of this:

you would not want a flagship smartphone aimed at the business sector to have this kind of silly issues

I've seen those bend videos. The amount of force needed for those results is WAY above average use. These phones are marketed toward the general public and business sector, not construction workers and Alaskan fisherman lol. I doubt that is the reason for this move

For software, I trust Google to make something good but their attempts at hardware have been hit or miss. Huawei made a sexy phone for both the casual and businessperson with the 6p. 

The only pro I'd see taking this route is cheaper consumer cost for phones. Unless they completely follow Apple's example and overcharge (which wouldn't be a pro lol)

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

1 minute ago, GeekJump said:

I've seen those bend videos. The amount of force needed for those results is WAY above average use. These phones are marketed toward the general public and business sector, not construction workers and Alaskan fisherman lol. I doubt that is the reason for this move

if you can bend with our hand, you can bend it in your pocket - and keep in mind, Apple had a similar problem ;)

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

if you can bend with our hand, you can bend it in your pocket - and keep in mind, Apple had a similar problem ;)

What fool puts a 6in phone in their butt pocket!?!? I have my 6p in my front pocket for +8hr/day and no bend at all. (I'm a man with thick thighs and not so loose pants)

I can bend a lot of my tech with my bare hands if I wanted to but don't

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

7 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

What fool puts a 6in phone in their butt pocket!?!? I have my 6p in my front pocket for +8hr/day and no bend at all. (I'm a man with thick thighs and not so loose pants)

I'm actually afraid of putting my new phone in the pant's pockets (any of them) - with the old phone i could do it because it was rather small and thick, the new one is as big as my palm and rather thin (with the silicon case is as thick as the old one)

walking wouldn't be a problem, but sitting down in some weird position or squatting ... noope

3 hours ago, Kherm said:

Poor Motorolla

Now if only Microsoft was trying to make Windows Phones more iPhone-like (to attract more customers)

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

I'm actually afraid of putting my new phone in the pant's pockets (any of them) - with the old phone i could do it because it was rather small and thick, the new one is as big as my palm and rather thin (with the silicon case is as thick as the old one)

walking wouldn't be a problem, but sitting down in some weird position or squatting ... noope

I use a phone which is larger than my palm and i'm just fine.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

19 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I use a phone which is larger than my palm and i'm just fine.

until you bend it

didn't Jayztwocents bent his brand new iPhone 6 ?

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

until you bend it

didn't Jayztwocents bent his brand new iPhone 6 ?

Nobody said I used an iPhone.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

It's understandable and better way to make a phone, so I'm sure Google will have a full control over their phone in future.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Unlike Apple however, Google can't afford to tick off their partners by becoming an OEM of their own. Same reason why Windows Mobile was met with "meh" and why some OEMs took offence at the Surface line of products - MS was stepping into territory that they otherwise stayed away from, hardware. 

I wish them luck however. People clearly want to pay a premium on premium devices with stellar backend support in hardware and software. I hope Google takes this seriously and doesn't just half ass it like most of their projects. 

1 minute ago, MarcoR said:

Unlike Apple however, Google can't afford to tick off their partners by becoming an OEM of their own.

except they were
between 2012 and 2014 Google owned Motorola; and released the Nexus 6, manufactured by Motorola

It's about time Google takes control.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!