supermicro x7dvl-e Will not post (I think)

I'm kinda in over my hea here so I need some help. I have a supermicro x7dvl-e with 2 quad core processors and 2 sticks of 4 gb hynx hymp151f72cp4n3-y5 ac we have tried most of the ram slots and I have cleared the cmos when I boot it I get one beep that at the end gets lower in pitch for a phempto second for the I get a single yellow light consistent with a memory error I have read that this can mean sockets are bad sometimes, I get the same status led when there is no ram. I currently do not have any hdd or cdrom I have checked the vga enabling pin it is enabled. I don't know he exact meaning of the memory error, it can be looked up via the manual. I don't really know what to do so please send help

Link to original thread with more details:
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/523055-os-server-board-compatability-help/#entry6947597

LINK TO THE MOBO MANUAL:

http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/5000V/MNL-0860.pdf

EDIT:

The cpu's are two Xeon L5410 2.33GHz Quad-Core LGA771 socket bought in a pair

copied and pasted from here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533120-server-mobo-post-issues/

( i didnt even realize this board was a thing, or else i would have posted here in the first place)

Really need help, the upon plugging in the PS without even hitting the power switch on the MOBO itself it booted and began beeping and blinking, there were some other weird boots maybe 1 or 2 other times but other than that it has been exactly as described, if need be i can obtain video/photo of the device in question.

I found a page that i roughly translated to Google translate mentions possibility that i may need a bios update to support 5400 series processors. How could i confirm this and how would i go about updating the bios?

Do you have an older generation cpu that fits the same socket and some known good ram you can try? If it is a bios update requirement you can use this to get the system up and do the upgrade. Could even try just 1 cpu at a time. Where these original to the server when you purchased it or did you upgrade them? 

Able to apply any pics of error lights and slightly better description of the beep codes, i.e. 1 short 1 long 2 short? From reading what you wrote it is just 1 long beep?

Ya, I would try just one CPU to start off with. My SM boards would boot with a single CPU in socket 1 or 2, so you could also try that.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Have you got the IPMI module? My best recommendation would be to update the BIOS via IPMI provided they allowed that on boards back then and then try post. If you're still having issues, as suggested check for bent pins then boot off a single CPU. If that doesn't work, try the other CPU. Try both slots if that board supports either socket boot. Generally though they only like to boot off CPU socket 1.

16 hours ago, leadeater said:

Do you have an older generation cpu that fits the same socket and some known good ram you can try? If it is a bios update requirement you can use this to get the system up and do the upgrade. Could even try just 1 cpu at a time. Where these original to the server when you purchased it or did you upgrade them? 

Able to apply any pics of error lights and slightly better description of the beep codes, i.e. 1 short 1 long 2 short? From reading what you wrote it is just 1 long beep?

Basically its a 1.5 second ish beep that trills off lower at the end for a phempto second, The ram i have is on the approved list and is Super micro ram specifically. These CPU's were not original to the Mobo most likely an upgrade for the machine, sorry i took so long to reply i have posted this on 3 forums/subreddits and have netted 1 reply until this thread, so I was not expecting actual caring support, love you guys!

Will post pics and video of 'bootup' when i get home

EDIT:

no i do not have any older gen xeon 5300x cpus or any other xeon cpus for that matter

Also as stated i was careful to buy them from a single auction (coming out of the same server) in a pair to avoid getting two CPU's with architecture updates as i heard that can cause problems even on server boards

Edited by MajGaben
more info

3 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Have you got the IPMI module? My best recommendation would be to update the BIOS via IPMI provided they allowed that on boards back then and then try post. If you're still having issues, as suggested check for bent pins then boot off a single CPU. If that doesn't work, try the other CPU. Try both slots if that board supports either socket boot. Generally though they only like to boot off CPU socket 1.

I can try that but ive literally never done anything like that before so if it comes to that i will need help.

I beleive ive read that if one of the sockest is bad and the CPU isnt detected, it will simply give me a no memory error like it currently is (i think)

the original ram had the right hynx part# but there was an additional samsung part# and the last digit in the part number was a 6 instead of a 5 which was on another section of the supermicros approved parts list.

original ram i put in the machine (hopefully this did not kill it) 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161348440666?_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

the current ram:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271616902052?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

11 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Have you got the IPMI module?

Think they required a license to use IPMI back then and even now, not a big user of supermicro so not an expert on the matter. HP definitely do but they are experts at taking money from customers.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Think they required a license to use IPMI back then and even now, not a big user of supermicro so not an expert on the matter. HP definitely do but they are experts at taking money from customers.

Supermicro don't now - can't recall what the go was back then but I know most boards had it as an add on module.

Didn't get a chance to swap cpus but I did get pictures and video of the mobo not posting 

http://m.imgur.com/a/OGGE1

Video will come later when I'm at college and have Wi-Fi

Edit: 

Edited by MajGaben
Add video link

It's also weird knowing at release the components in front of me would have cost over or around 2 grand all together and I got it for around 70$ and its still extremely usable 

If that LED at the end, 1:03, is Status LED D31 it could be CPU power connector issue.

Red: PWR on, PWR problem(s) occur(s) or JPW3 not properly installed

The other possibility is an overheat warning, what is the green LED you held up?

1 continuous beep w/Front Panel OH LED on - System Overheat

Both these errors can be caused by CPU problems also though, single cpu test might show some better results.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

If that LED at the end, 1:03, is Status LED D31 it could be CPU power connector issue.

The other possibility is an overheat warning, what is the green LED you held up?

Both these errors can be caused by CPU problems also though, single cpu test might show some better results.

I believe the red is when I turned off the machine by holding the power button, the led I held up is the power indicator led that would run to the front of the rack case if it was installed in one. Yeah I will try the removing cpus when I get home am post results with 1 cup and 1 stick of ram

Tried each cpu in its own socket tried swapping memory around with no luck so far. As a side not the cpus warm up quite a lot which makes me think that they are doing something... What could that beep mean?

Just tried it with no cpu, I get Yellow and green light staying on and the pitch down you here in the video is contibous and doesn't stop till I hold the power button, so it is recognizing the cpus to some extent

0203161601a.jpg

Another thing the yellow light stays in after I turn off the machine

I think I need to perform a bios update unless anyone else has a suggestion. I have no idea how to even attempt this so I will need some help please. Where do I even start with a specialty server board like this so I buy an ipmi like suggested before? And then where do I get the updated bios from?

7 hours ago, MajGaben said:

I think I need to perform a bios update unless anyone else has a suggestion. I have no idea how to even attempt this so I will need some help please. Where do I even start with a specialty server board like this so I buy an ipmi like suggested before? And then where do I get the updated bios from?

From the supermicro website, it may even pay to give their support an email and give them the rundown on your issue. They should be able to tell you straight away if there is a minimum bios version to support those CPU's and better insight in to the error messages you are getting when trying to boot.

25 minutes ago, leadeater said:

From the supermicro website, it may even pay to give their support an email and give them the rundown on your issue. They should be able to tell you straight away if there is a minimum bios version to support those CPU's and better insight in to the error messages you are getting when trying to boot.

Will try but I think most of there support is through suppliers only so it might be hard to get a hold of something. Additionally is there anyway to insulate electrolytic capacitors from mineral oil?

1 hour ago, MajGaben said:

Will try but I think most of there support is through suppliers only so it might be hard to get a hold of something. Additionally is there anyway to insulate electrolytic capacitors from mineral oil?

I'm afraid to ask why :P

We appreciate all end user input: e-mail us at support@Supermicro.com or marketing@Supermicro.com.

Just found this page: http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/results.aspx

It says I need to use a floppy drive and floppy to flash the bios, do is there any other way of doing this? and will it still work if I cant make it to the bios in the first place?

Really wish I could figure this thing out, I am hoping I didnt kill this thing...