Finally upgrading from my old computer

Joelok314
4 hours ago, roctrebira said:

That is an option but I really do suggest the 980ti over the nano because the nano will thermal throttle on the stock cooler and the price difference between the 2 is 100% worth it and I just don't think 4k is a good option till we have a card that can do it 60+ fps by itself and the jump from 1080p to 1440p is worth it.

So long as you have good airflow and up the power limit on the nano you'll be fairly well off, like earlier it's best to invest in a 4k display rather than the top end GPU, you'll have the 4k display for basically ever, and if you go with the 980ti + 1440p display you'll be upgrading both in a few years anyways, not a good investment for the long run. That's not to mention just how much screen real estate you get, 4k is 8,294,400 pixels, while 1440p is 3,686,400

Effectively 4k gives you more than double the pixels compared to 1440p. If the option is there I'd always go for 4k above running games a few FPS faster at say 1080p or 1440p, it's much better for the long run.

Plus if dual GPUs was going to be a thing either way the nano has less power consumption overall, wouldn't need too high end a PSU for running 2 of them.

Also that 4k display is free-sync capable, so games are going to be smoother on it, and it'll compensate for the 5 lower fps on average from the nano. You wouldn't be getting an adaptive sync display with a 980ti, so screen tearing is still going to be an issue. If nothing else if you're going to play games at 1440p anyways, you could just run that resolution on the 4k display, or run 1080p on it.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

7 hours ago, Joelok314 said:

@roctrebira What do you think of this then? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZHJPjX

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/benq-monitor-gw2765ht

Would a better choice since it has height adjust for the same price. I was at work sorry about the late reply.

[CPU-i5 4690k] [MB-Asus Maximus VII Hero] [GPU-Asus Matirx 980ti] [Ram-8GB Corsair Vengeance ram] [ Cooling-Corsair H100i/ 3 Noctua NF-P12 for intake] [sSD/HDD-120GB evo/ 1TB WB Caviar blue] [Case-NZXT H440] [Dell U3415W]

19 hours ago, Joelok314 said:

@roctrebira What do you think of this then? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZHJPjX

I'd make a few changes... You can get legit copy of windows 7 // 8 pro retail (not OEM) from online vendors for about $30

Much better PSU, will handle any 2 way sli cf setup, faster larger ssd and faster ram

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($253.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($152.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($152.99 @ Micro Center) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card  ($689.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.89 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Acer K272HULbmiidp 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($337.98 @ Directron) 
Total: $1822.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-02 08:08 EST-0500

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

1 hour ago, Dzzope said:

I'd make a few changes... You can get legit copy of windows 7 // 8 pro retail (not OEM) from online vendors for about $30

Much better PSU, will handle any 2 way sli cf setup, faster larger ssd and faster ram

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($253.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($152.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($152.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.89 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Acer K272HULbmiidp 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($337.98 @ Directron) 
Total: $1822.58
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-02 08:08 EST-0500

Again, thanks for all the help everybody!

As for the storage, really 500GB is overkill for me. I have a 1 TB external for movies and the like. Right now, I have a fair amount of games and other apps installed on my current HD and I'm only using about 180-200GB (not home so can't give the exact amount, but it is right in there). So, even 480GB is more than I need.

You don't think windows 10 is worth it? I've heard good things about it. And do you think upgrading memory from 2400 to 2666 is going to show any large difference?
Oh, whoops. didn't realize I hadn't changed the PSU, yeah 620 ain't enough...

2 minutes ago, Joelok314 said:

Again, thanks for all the help everybody!

As for the storage, really 500GB is overkill for me. I have a 1 TB external for movies and the like. Right now, I have a fair amount of games and other apps installed on my current HD and I'm only using about 180-200GB (not home so can't give the exact amount, but it is right in there). So, even 480GB is more than I need.

You don't think windows 10 is worth it? I've heard good things about it. And do you think upgrading memory from 2400 to 2666 is going to show any large difference?
Oh, whoops. didn't realize I hadn't changed the PSU, yeah 620 ain't enough...

Only changes I would make the the list is upgrade the PSU and then go with the other monitor I linked above you wont notice the difference in ram speed with everyday gaming and he changed the ssd because the samsung drives are some of the fastest you can buy for consumers without paying a large amount for them.

[CPU-i5 4690k] [MB-Asus Maximus VII Hero] [GPU-Asus Matirx 980ti] [Ram-8GB Corsair Vengeance ram] [ Cooling-Corsair H100i/ 3 Noctua NF-P12 for intake] [sSD/HDD-120GB evo/ 1TB WB Caviar blue] [Case-NZXT H440] [Dell U3415W]

@roctrebira Yeah, didn't even think about the height adjustment, thanks for pointing that out. I've already changed over for the monitor and the PSU. I think I've nailed the list down finally.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RcFMRB

Note that the case is already at my house, so that is just there for reference. I really like the look.

11 minutes ago, Joelok314 said:

@roctrebira Yeah, didn't even think about the height adjustment, thanks for pointing that out. I've already changed over for the monitor and the PSU. I think I've nailed the list down finally.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RcFMRB

Note that the case is already at my house, so that is just there for reference. I really like the look.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/H24hWZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/H24hWZ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($254.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($154.95 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($133.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Windowed Edition (Black) ATX Full Tower Case  ($169.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($89.99 @ NCIX US) 
Monitor: BenQ GW2765HT 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($349.00 @ B&H) 
Total: $2077.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-02 10:21 EST-0500

That's what I would go with. I changed the psu because you were over paying for corsairs link crap that they stuff into psu when it isn't needed and then changed the motherboard out of preference since i just like the look of the io covers on the newer boards and its cheaper.If you  don't mind the look of the hybrid card then go ahead and grab that I myself don't the way it looks and would prefer an evga classied at the price or just save some money and get the msi 980ti.

@roctrebira I'm actually going for a Black and red theme, and that's why I chose the motherboard. I'm planning on adding LED down the road a month or two...
Which is funny because the Hybrid doesn't have the black and red theme and MSI does. But, I wanted liquid cooling since I'm probably gonna tweak it a little.

Good to know on the PSU, though!

11 minutes ago, Joelok314 said:

@roctrebira I'm actually going for a Black and red theme, and that's why I chose the motherboard. I'm planning on adding LED down the road a month or two...
Which is funny because the Hybrid doesn't have the black and red theme and MSI does. But, I wanted liquid cooling since I'm probably gonna tweak it a little.

Good to know on the PSU, though!

The MSI will have pretty good cooling if you wanted to go that route even if you overclock you will be fine but other than that looks like your set. :)

The samsung Evo is also m.2 and very fast. I read somewhere ram speed actually makes a difference again, but it's only a $5 premium.. so why not?

You can upgrade to windows 10 from win 7 / 8 for free, thats what I did, got win 10 "pro" (not oem version, can use again on another system when I upgrade)

So you save money and get an upgraded licence, along with a free bump to your ram and ssd specs.. not to mention the PSU, foir what works out at the same price as your build.

51 minutes ago, roctrebira said:

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 

Why go for the EVGA gold over a Seasonic platinum thats $10 less

@Dzzope Got one question. I was looking at the Storage device you advised. In looking at multiple sites, including Samsung's, the specs are showing pretty much the same Read and Write Speed as mine. But, they are also showing the interface as SATA (which is limited to about 600 MB/s. So, are they just interfacing them incorrectly? If so, what are the read/write speed for that SSD with M.2 interface?

Max theoretical read and write are irrelevant.. you have to analyze further, such as is done in a professional review to see what performance is really like.. Considering the price, this is top notch performance without going NVME / pci-e.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9023/the-samsung-ssd-850-evo-msata-m2-review