Corsair CX500 vs Old Rosewill PSU

scottyseng
Go to solution Solved by Aytex,
1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

The stores to buy it in the PCpartpicker link seem to all have it out of stock...

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii520bronze

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/power-supply/#m=71,441,39&sort=a9&page=1&X=0,6604

So I'm doing a build for my cousin's friend, and he proposed getting a new CX500 instead of me going the route I was planning, which was to use the same old Rosewill PSU that was in the case since 2011 / powering this same exact system configuration for 4 years...well, two with the 280X and two with a GTX 480 (My brother has changed cases / upgraded to a Corsair AX860i and 780 Ti about a year ago).

Which would be the better PSU to go with? The budget is very low, $50 or less. If we go the Rosewill route, I'm giving it away for $20 because of its age.

This is the Rosewill unit: Rosewill Green RG630-S12 630W.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182200

System Specs:

• CPU: Intel i5 2500K
  • RAM: 8GB DRR3
  • SSD: 120 GB V300 (Crappy SSD, I know, but it's what my cousin has on moment / it's still better than a HDD at least).
  • HDD: 1TB WD Blue
  • GPU: R9 280X
  • Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

The rosewill 630W.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

the CX series isn´t really the best PSUs

Watches and computers                    

I would suggest neither unless he wants to deal with a lot of RMAs, or the possibility of outright killing everything in the system. An EVGA 500B is around the same price, but will offer slightly better reliability.

If you need an answer, the Rosewill WILL be less prone to self destruction.

blackshades on

3 minutes ago, Reece Leu said:

I would suggest neither unless he wants to deal with a lot of RMAs, or the possibility of outright killing everything in the system. An EVGA 500B is around the same price, but will offer slightly better reliability.

If you need an answer, the Rosewill WILL be less prone to self destruction.

Objectively, the EVGA 500B is worse.

What @Aytex said. Pay an extra $5 for a much better power supply.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

6 minutes ago, Reece Leu said:

Out of 100 systems built, we've had one 500B go bad (bad bearing), and a total of 6 CX power supplies with a different set of systems. It's not a bad power supply in my opinion, but a 280 may be a little much.

Edited by Reece Leu

blackshades on

Follow what @aytex put, you are pretty much gambling on which one will go bad first, the psu should be one of the best components otherwise it will be the first to kill all of your components 

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

The stores to buy it in the PCpartpicker link seem to all have it out of stock...

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii520bronze

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/power-supply/#m=71,441,39&sort=a9&page=1&X=0,6604

23 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Hmm, let me work my numbers and try to cram the Seasonic S12II in the budget. The whole build (Pretty much all used stuff from my bro's old build / what my cousin and I have used) is $500.

Edit: Well, the guy is cheaping out so I'm guessing I have to go with the Rosewill. I'll probably have to warn the guy that with the next upgrade, he'll have to upgrade the PSU to something higher quality. The CX500 popped up because it was on sale for $35 the other day...