Mini ITX, but with the PCIE slot on the other end

Hi Everyone,

I was thinking about the way that BTX took ATX and effectively mirrored it, so that the PCI slots were the other side of the CPU, and then wondered if anyone every tried it at ITX size.

I think doing this, and putting the PCIE slot on its side would work well for a small form factor HTPC/Gaming hybrid, because this would allow both circuit bords to sit on the bottom of the case, with all the fans facing up or back, without the need for any unreliable flexible riser extensions. This could be very small, with the PSU in front of the motherboard, as seen in some small form factor cases, or a little wider, but without being very tall if a bluray drive was fitted (my personal preference - see the attached diagram).

post-310435-0-37870300-1454105299_thumb.

What do people think? Is this a good idea that you would want to buy? Would any manufacturers want to make it? Or is this all crazy?

Martin

Why do people not do this? Swap the locations of the PSU and disk reader with the GPU and revert to a normal mITX motherboard. Welcome to the forums btw :D Please remember to follow your own threads.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Hi Everyone,

I was thinking about the way that BTX took ATX and effectively mirrored it, so that the PCI slots were the other side of the CPU, and then wondered if anyone every tried it at ITX size.

I think doing this, and putting the PCIE slot on its side would work well for a small form factor HTPC/Gaming hybrid, because this would allow both circuit bords to sit on the bottom of the case, with all the fans facing up or back, without the need for any unreliable flexible riser extensions. This could be very small, with the PSU in front of the motherboard, as seen in some small form factor cases, or a little wider, but without being very tall if a bluray drive was fitted (my personal preference - see the attached diagram).

attachicon.gifITX.png

What do people think? Is this a good idea that you would want to buy? Would any manufacturers want to make it? Or is this all crazy?

Martin

Sounds great ! I would buy one 

This looks like the Node 202 actually, check it out. But using a PCI riser cable kind of eliminates the need to put it anywhere else. 

The problem with the Raven and Node 202 cases is that the intake for the GPU and CPU are on opposite sides of the case. In reviews I've seen where these have been tested horizontally, this has lead to higher GPU temps, faster & louder GPU fans, and GPU throtling, as you have very little clearance on the bottom. By having all the fans on top, the case can be on lower feet, and the clearance above optimised.

Also, reviews I've seen of longer flexible GPU risers, to allow this sort of arrangement without changing the motherboard gave me the impression that they're not very reliable.

Hope that explains why I wanted a different solution.

Core p5?

That's an interesting case. Showier than what I'm thinking of, but nice!

This looks like the Node 202 actually, check it out. But using a PCI riser cable kind of eliminates the need to put it anywhere else. 

Yep, seen the Node 202, but want an optical drive. The RVZ02 has space for an optical drive though. They're both an inspiration to this. If using a PCI riser cable to have all the fans facing the same way, I wouldn't be able to use these cases, as the mountings points at the back for the GPU would be wrong.

Yep, seen the Node 202, but want an optical drive. The RVZ02 has space for an optical drive though. They're both an inspiration to this. If using a PCI riser cable to have all the fans facing the same way, I wouldn't be able to use these cases, as the mountings points at the back for the GPU would be wrong.

Have you considered an external drive? 

Just swap it around so your drawing is the other way. Problem solved.

Jeez.

This would give me fans on the bottom of the case, which I'm trying to avoid.

Have you considered an external drive? 

An external drive makes the whole thing messier, and doesn't solve any problems - all the problems the RVZ02 (with optical) has are also present in the Node 202.

This would give me fans on the bottom of the case, which I'm trying to avoid.

Use a blower card and have a vent slot to the side for intake:

post-2597-0-15792400-1454109798_thumb.jp

You don't even need fans you can just have vents, the GPU has fans for a reason.

Why do people not do this? Swap the locations of the PSU and disk reader with the GPU and revert to a normal mITX motherboard. Welcome to the forums btw :D Please remember to follow your own threads.

It's all about having the fans on top, so that I only have to worry about clearance on the top and not underneath. The adjustment to the form factor solves airflow problems and removes the need for a PCIE riser, making for a more elegant solution. Thanks for the welcome btw - following the thread now.