i3 vs Pentium : any tangible difference?!

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Specs (higher frequency, greater cache, etc.) aside, can one feel the "better" performance of the i3?

That difference in their clock speeds is gigantic, but is that really worth the price premium of the i3?

The I3 has hyperthreading

Specs (higher frequency, greater cache, etc.) aside, can one feel the "better" performance of the i3?

That difference in their clock speeds is gigantic, but is that really worth the price premium of the i3?

Nothing to see here ;)

The I3 has hyperthreading

The i3 also has 2 extra threads, which will help in everyday use and gaming as well.'

Sometimes the lowest end i5 is almost as much as an i3 though, so give that a look.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Yes. Feels a lot better. Where are you from in India?

CPU:Intel Core i3 3210 Mobo:MSI B75MA-E33  GPU:Intel 2500 HD Graphics  SSD:Adata SP600 128gb  HDD:Seagate 1tb 7200rpm  

PSU:Corsair CX430   Case:Antec ASK4000bU3  Monitor:Dell S2240l 21.5 inch 1080p

i3 is way better.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Yep. If it is for gaming. Don't ever think buying a pentium.

i3 has 2 cores, 4 threads.

Pentium has 2 cores, 2 threads.

i3 is much better.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

in general usage of a pc ,browsing web and stuff you wont know the difference not even with an i5. but in gaming yes the difference is night and day. no frame drops,higher fps and its better in multithreaded apps.

in gaming if you upgrade from an i3 to i5 you wont be seeing much improvements thats how good an i3 is

however if you plan to upgrade in under a year,getting the pentium now and later upgrade to an i5 when the budget allows is not a bad ideea 

i got a friend whos gaming with a i3 and gtx 980. he´s doing great in all games so far 1080p

Yes. Feels a lot better. Where are you from in India?

Thanks. I live in Coimbatore, Tamilnadu.

Nothing to see here ;)

The i3's got Hyper-Threading?! I have never noticed that part on ARK...

Thanks for all your help, people. Peace!

Nothing to see here ;)

Thanks. I live in Coimbatore, Tamilnadu.

tamila? Naanum Tamil dan.

CPU:Intel Core i3 3210 Mobo:MSI B75MA-E33  GPU:Intel 2500 HD Graphics  SSD:Adata SP600 128gb  HDD:Seagate 1tb 7200rpm  

tamila? Naanum Tamil dan.

neeyuma? yendha ooru? chennai-ya?

Nothing to see here ;)

neeyuma? yendha ooru? chennai-ya?

Yes. Chennai.

With games coming out lately refusing to work if your CPU had less than 4 threads, I could never recommend a Pentium for a gaming rig. Get an Athlon or up your budget to an i3.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

With games coming out lately refusing to work if your CPU had less than 4 threads, I could never recommend a Pentium for a gaming rig. Get an Athlon or up your budget to an i3.

Shall definitely keep that in mind. Thanks!

Nothing to see here ;)

I'm Punjabi (a NRI) and I'm sad I can't understand:(

That is alright. Everybody is just the same. We have not huddled together in LinusTechTips by the basis of religion, caste or creed. We have all gathered here to quench our thirst for knowledge.

---

Hey, that is not the "Constitution of the Republic of LinusTechTips".

Just my humble opinion.

P.S. Sorry for the long post!

Nothing to see here ;)