TP-Link routers

lakshkhanter

I'm planning to buy a new router. Currently I have the Netgear WNDR4300 v2. I was looking at the TP-Link Archer C2 and the TP-Link WDR4300. Can't figure out why the older N standard is more expensive than the newer AC router. Is it better in some other way or am I missing something out? Which one should I go with, the N standard router or the AC one? Thanks in advance.

Here are the links to those routers on Amazon.

TP-Link Archer C2 : http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-C2-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B00KATWRIY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453992878&sr=8-1&keywords=tp+link+archer+c2

TP-Link WDR4300 : http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WDR4300-Wireless-Gigabit-300Mbps/dp/B0088CJT4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453992998&sr=8-1&keywords=wdr4300 

Without question the AC one

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Why are the older generation N routers more expensive than the newer AC ones though? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't you get what you pay for? Is the AC one better in every aspect or each generation has its pros and cons?

I have an older WDR 3600 Router, brilliant router but the wifi signal strength is a bit poor.

Go AC, or you will regret it in a years time.

That AC router is from their cheaper line of products, a better comparison to the WDR4300 for AC would be: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-C7-Wireless-1300Mbps/dp/B00BUSDVBQ/

I would get the one I linked over the other two since it isn't much of a price different.

Before completely giving up on consumer grade networking gear and moving to Ubiquiti, I found TP Link to be the best out of everything I tried.

My sister has a TPLink Archer C7. It has great range compared to her old N150 router. I have to say TPLink can build a router. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Well, in my experience I've had more overall stability on non-AC routers.  But, I've only had experience with Asus, Linksys and Netgear.  I have a friend with a TP-Link c7 and he finds it absolutely fantastic. 

The AC one won't necessarily be faster, but if it's cheaper then it might as well be worth getting it.   The main reason I think the N router is more expensive is because it's got 2 usb ports and not only one.  This isn't really a big issue however. 

I personally suggest never sharing any files through your router.   So I would have to say at this point, go for the cheaper one.  It will probably perform the same, and the AC router probably has a more up-to-date firmware.  This is because it's newer.   However, also keep in mind in my own experience high end 802.11N routers are still being patched. 

Not looking for any fancy features, just want a fast and reliable router. The one I have right now is an absolute nightmare, frequent connection drops, average range, etc. Don't think i'll be able to get the Archer C7, on a really tight budget. So between the Archer C2 and the WDR4300, I should go for the Archer C2 right? 

I have a TP-LINK AC router. If you planning to put ddrt wrt then go with the other router as 5.0ghz isn't supported yet.