Is it time to upgrade my 2500k

Go to solution Solved by desertcomputer,

Personally no really .. depend what games. I would want for ZEN to release and see if Zen would be better option. 

Good day to you all, 

I have just got a lovely 980ti for my rig. I am still runnig a 2500k which is obviously getting a bit old but i don't think I could justify upgrading this yet. 

Even if i got an enthusiast series CPU I don't think I would get much more out of it in most games. 

I am wondering if anyone is in a similar position who maybe has upgraded and if you think its worth it or if I should wait till something better comes along or mine gives up. (its been running this overclock for years now) 

Thanks for reading,

Personally no really .. depend what games. I would want for ZEN to release and see if Zen would be better option. 

Magical Pineapples

hows your cpu usage in gaming?

if you notice its reaching the cap it may be time for skylake, otherwise just keep it.

Do you need more performance? Does  your system struggle at some games? If the answer to this questions is no, then do not upgrade.As you said , you can't justify it. 

You could look for benchmarks of the games you play and see if the difference between a modern cpu and yours is wide enough to upgrade

I don't think you should, maybe get a better CPU cooler like the Dark Rock Pro 3 and overclock the CPU to town.

Good day to you all, 

I have just got a lovely 980ti for my rig. I am still runnig a 2500k which is obviously getting a bit old but i don't think I could justify upgrading this yet. 

Even if i got an enthusiast series CPU I don't think I would get much more out of it in most games. 

I am wondering if anyone is in a similar position who maybe has upgraded and if you think its worth it or if I should wait till something better comes along or mine gives up. (its been running this overclock for years now) 

Thanks for reading,

If you use SLI/Crossfire or are too scared to overclock and would value the performance increase that a 4.0Ghz 4790K/6700K would give than yes but if you're just using a single GPU the cost upgrading your platform is hard to justify.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Good day to you all, 

Thanks for reading,

I'm sort of in the same situation; I've been running mine since Feb 2012.

GW2: Vettexl.9726

If you don't have a 1440p display I would upgrade to that before getting a new cpu/mobo. 

if you can find a 2600k on the cheap that could be an option as well. 
or as above mentioned, a 1440p display, more ram, ssd, storage?

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

I see that monitor is a Dell 1080p 60Hz monitor.

Yeah, your monitor is more of a bottleneck than your CPU. 

If you're gonna upgrade then you need to upgrade both CPU and Monitor.

A 980Ti will shit on a 1080p 60hz monitor, along with an i7 6700k? Even more shitting..

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Look my specs. All is fine. Wait for next Generation. I play on 1440p. 70-120fps. In almost every Game. Only GTA5 and PS2 gets drops to the 30/40.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Thanks for the replies guys, I am definitely going to wait till zen. and I definitely want a new monitor. I'm just hoping monitors like the acer predator x34 come down a little in price.