How does the 290X stack against the 970 at 1080p as of now?

dfg666

You really don't want the 290X to be faster, do you? I showed you actual, recent benchmarks, you called BS. I told you that I tested both cards and you called BS. I'm too lazy and don't care enough to look for those results I had.

And what does the CPU have to do with it? Both cards tested with it so the results are as similar as possible. Also, if CPU was a factor here, it would be in favor of the GTX 970 because Radeon GPUs are known to work better with lower CPU overhead.

No i am just not biased.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

No i am just not biased.

Everything proves otherwise.

1. You denying logical arguments while throwing some unsupported claims or outdated benchmarks

2. I couldn't help myself but go into your profile, this is the first thing that pops up: "I am just not biased."

@don_svetlio you're gonna have a good laugh over here mate ^^

OATOUL2.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Everything proves otherwise.

1. You denying logical arguments while throwing some unsupported claims or outdated benchmarks

2. I couldn't help myself but go into your profile, this is the first thing that pops up: "I am just not biased."

@don_svetlio you're gonna have a good laugh over here mate ^^

OATOUL2.png

It's a joke about my PC you dumbass LOL.

It's a joke about my PC you dumbass LOL.

Then why exactly did you call me "biased"? I told you that I've had both cards. In fact this is my first-ever AMD GPU cause I've been using Nvidia since like 2002.

And my CPU was on such a good deal I couldn't pass it up.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

About 10-5% for the better models. Really depends on the model of 290x and what its boost clock is. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just so you know a 970 OC's too and last time i checked OC far further than AMD GPU's.

A 390x is an overclocked 290x so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Your average 970 OC is between 1450 and 1500 and at 1500 it doesn't even beat a 390/290 OC'ed to 1150, so what makes you think it can compete with a 290x OC'ed to 1150?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

A 390x is an overclocked 290x so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Your average 970 OC is between 1450 and 1500 and at 1500 it doesn't even beat a 390/290 OC'ed to 1150, so what makes you think it can compete with a 290x OC'ed to 1150?

If you read all his posts in this thread, you won't find too much reasonable thinking or logic so I guess your question is a rhetorical one :P

Just so you know a 970 OC's too and last time i checked OC far further than AMD GPU's.

1mhz in Maxwell is not equal to 1mhz in Hawaii, i thought your already know this since your 950mhz GTX580 obliterate 1300mhz GTX960.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1550mhz 970

1140mhz 390 

Same performance. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

290X is faster than a 970 as proven by @Morgan MLGman who used to own BOTH

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

They were not nerfed, NVIDIA just does not optimize for Kepler anymore just like they stopped with Fermi, i wish people would get their head out of their asses.

If discontinued hardware support is not a nerf, then what is?

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

I added a newer graph, it's 2% now. It's faster, no doubt about it and it's getting faster cause of AMD improving their drivers. And read what I also edited, it's a reference one they're testing. I can tell you from my own, first-hand testing with both cards that the 290X is faster. In fact my 290X after good overclocking surpassed a reference 980 by 4%. (in userbenchmark)

You can't generalize like that. It depends on what they're rendering. Firestrike 1.1 is a good example. It has 2 graphics test, 1 has heavy tessellation where 970 has advantage, and the other features smoke simulation that uses compute shaders in which case 290X performs a bit better. Overall, they're about the same, depending on the clocks.

Since a lot of games have tessellation and are draw call heavy, I actually found 970 to be faster in those cases. Driver overhead has a significant impact in draw call heavy games so keep in mind that it's not just hardware you should be taking into account, but also software.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

You can't generalize like that. It depends on what they're rendering. Firestrike 1.1 is a good example. It has 2 graphics test, 1 has heavy tessellation where 970 has advantage, and the other features smoke simulation that uses compute shaders in which case 290X performs a bit better. Overall, they're about the same, depending on the clocks.

Since a lot of games have tessellation and are draw call heavy, I actually found 970 to be faster in those cases. Driver overhead has a significant impact in draw call heavy games so keep in mind that it's not just hardware you should be taking into account, but also software.

That is why techpowerup.com tested over 25 games and found the 290X faster on average. I didn't have as much time to test this many games but I also can confirm that it's faster

That is why techpowerup.com tested over 25 games and found the 290X faster on average. I didn't have as much time to test this many games but I also can confirm that it's faster

Games are not equally demanding on hardware all the time, on all levels/maps, regardless of what's happening in the game. No. GTA V for example runs worse on 290X when there's a lot of objects on screen, which happens in some parts of the city. So if the benchmarking path you use to compare graphics cards doesn't include these areas, then yes, 290X might have an advantage.

It's like if you used graphics test 1 from Firestrike 1.1 to compare graphics cards. Since it has heavy tessellation, Maxwell GPUs would have an advantage. 

Also, average fps doesn't tell the whole story. One area on the map or one level could be CPU-bound and the other GPU-bound. 290X might achieve higher framerate in a GPU-bound scenario (if there's no tessellation), but 970 will have an advantage in a CPU-bound scenario due to Nvidia's lower overhead. So let's say the 290X achieves 70 fps in the GPU-bound scenario, while the 970 achieves 60 fps. But then in the CPU-bound scenario 970 maintains 60 fps while the 290X drops to 50 fps. Their average would be the same, yet 970 didn't drop below 60.

This is why min fps is important. But the way tech sites measure them is wrong. The way they do it is they take a certain amount of frames, look at their times, calculate framerate for each frame, and then they calculate the average frametime and convert it into framerate. That's why I like the way DigitalFoundry do their tests. They show you the frametime in real time, so you can see each frametime spike.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

Games are not equally demanding on hardware all the time, on all levels/maps, regardless of what's happening in the game. No. GTA V for example runs worse on 290X when there's a lot of objects on screen, which happens in some parts of the city. So if the benchmarking path you use to compare graphics cards doesn't include these areas, then yes, 290X might have an advantage.

It's like if you used graphics test 1 from Firestrike 1.1 to compare graphics cards. Since it has heavy tessellation, Maxwell GPUs would have an advantage. 

Also, average fps doesn't tell the whole story. One area on the map or one level could be CPU-bound and the other GPU-bound. 290X might achieve higher framerate in a GPU-bound scenario (if there's no tessellation), but 970 will have an advantage in a CPU-bound scenario due to Nvidia's lower overhead. So let's say the 290X achieves 70 fps in the GPU-bound scenario, while the 970 achieves 60 fps. But then in the CPU-bound scenario 970 maintains 60 fps while the 290X drops to 50 fps. Their average would be the same, yet 970 didn't drop below 60.

This is why min fps is important. But the way tech sites measure them is wrong. The way they do it is they take a certain amount of frames, look at their times, calculate framerate for each frame, and then they calculate the average frametime and convert it into framerate. That's why I like the way DigitalFoundry do their tests. They show you the frametime in real time, so you can see each frametime spike.

I guess your proposal here to to play x-amount of titles from start to finish to get the full picture well NEWS FLASH nobody has that kind of time .When higher numbers are maintained you get a higher average, simple. As long as data is collected over a reasonable amount of time.

If an average of 25 games show the 290X perform better (marginally or not) its meaning is simple... the 290X is faster. Why is that such a hard pill to swallow?

LOL

I guess your proposal here to to play x-amount of titles from start to finish to get the full picture well NEWS FLASH nobody has that kind of time .When higher numbers are maintained you get a higher average, simple. As long as data is collected over a reasonable amount of time.

If an average of 25 games show the 290X perform better (marginally or not) its meaning is simple... the 290X is faster. Why is that such a hard pill to swallow?

Because in reality it isn't, despite what average framerate might tell you. I regretted buying the 290X. I still own it, but I use the 970 in my main PC. Average fps is just part of the story. Framerate and frametime consistency are much more important for the gaming experience.

Because in reality it isn't, despite what average framerate might tell you. I regretted buying the 290X. I still own it, but I use the 970 in my main PC. Average fps is just part of the story. Framerate and frametime consistency are much more important for the gaming experience.

No shit!

The only reason average framerate is pushed on the forum is to win arguments, not for playing video games. That means the people coming looking for advice lose. Like I lost when I came here. At some point this forum will be about PC gaming, not debate.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

They were not nerfed, NVIDIA just does not optimize for Kepler anymore just like they stopped with Fermi, i wish people would get their head out of their asses.

And that's a good thing? "Sorry that we don't optimize for our one-gen old gpu's" NVIDIA

Frametime, what is it? 

60 Frames per Second (1000millisec)

1 Frame is executed in (1000/60) = 16.6666ms (frametime)

45 Frames per second = 1000/45 = 22.22222ms (frametime)

Lower FPS means more time processing a frame... the 290X was consistent at outputting more frame rates hence the higher AVERAGE (out of 25 titles cmon!).. what am I getting so wrong here?

Frametime, what is it? 

60 Frames per Second (1000millisec)

1 Frame is executed in (1000/60) = 16.6666ms (frametime)

45 Frames per second = 1000/45 = 22.22222ms (frametime)

Lower FPS means more time processing a frame... the 290X was consistent at outputting more frame rates hence the higher AVERAGE (out of 25 titles cmon!).. what am I getting so wrong here?

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-New-Graphics-Performance-Metric

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

WOW! an article from 2013 that may not have materialised... I'm ECSTATIC :rolleyes:.. we are in 2016 right?

its actually true

linus talked about it a lot too

the only reason why its not actually used is because of the cost and how complex it is to measure

this is more than just "oh 60fps is 16.66ms per frame"

this is about "why am i getting solid 60fps but the game looks unnatural"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

its actually true

linus talked about it a lot too

the only reason why its not actually used is because of the cost and how complex it is to measure

this is more than just "oh 60fps is 16.66ms per frame"

this is about "why am i getting solid 60fps but the game looks unnatural"

There's a thread on LTT about lower quality images on newer GPU's...(Nvidia&AMD) Soooo? what's this 'unnatural' angle you are bringing to the table?

Which 290x do you have?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit