How does the 290X stack against the 970 at 1080p as of now?

dfg666

In his signature

Im on mobile.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Im on mobile.

Scroll to the bottom, hit "full version "

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Frametime, what is it? 

60 Frames per Second (1000millisec)

1 Frame is executed in (1000/60) = 16.6666ms (frametime)

45 Frames per second = 1000/45 = 22.22222ms (frametime)

Lower FPS means more time processing a frame... the 290X was consistent at outputting more frame rates hence the higher AVERAGE (out of 25 titles cmon!).. what am I getting so wrong here?

No, it's not that simple. Time it takes to render a frame varies from frame to frame. In order for the gameplay to be smooth and fluid you want a consistent frame delivery.

Take a look at this example: https://youtu.be/4JHuyLoYU4c?t=1m18s

You can see that the framerate with 390 drops to 57 fps. You might say 57 fps isn't bad. But if you look at frametime it spiked up to around 35 ms, which would be a framerate of 28 fps. Of course, the fps counter doesn't drop to 28 fps because it counts the amount of frames rendered per second. You don't lose a great amount of frames in a second just because few frames take longer to render, but what you do lose is fluidity. You perceive such frametime spikes as stutters. 

Which 290x do you have?

Sapphire Tri-X, why?

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

Scroll to the bottom, hit "full version "

Dont wanna. It messes with my desktop when I do that and I have to start messing around to make sure my phone stays on mobile while my desktop stays on full.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

There's a thread on LTT about lower quality images on newer GPU's...(Nvidia&AMD) Soooo? what's this 'unnatural' angle you are bringing to the table?

microstuttering, lag spikes, tearing, etc...

microstuttering was a serious issue with crossfire for a long time

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

They were not nerfed, NVIDIA just does not optimize for Kepler anymore just like they stopped with Fermi, i wish people would get their head out of their asses.

That's why GNC based cards are better in my opinion in the long run.

That's why GNC based cards are better in my opinion in the long run.

The 780ti matches the Fury X in Rise of the Tomb Raider. So this whole Kepler hate deal is smoke and mirrors.

DF actually used a 780 to test the game at PC settings.

No, it's not that simple. Time it takes to render a frame varies from frame to frame. In order for the gameplay to be smooth and fluid you want a consistent frame delivery.

Take a look at this example: https://youtu.be/4JHuyLoYU4c?t=1m18s

You can see that the framerate with 390 drops to 57 fps. You might say 57 fps isn't bad. But if you look at frametime it spiked up to around 35 ms, which would be a framerate of 28 fps. Of course, the fps counter doesn't drop to 28 fps because it counts the amount of frames rendered per second. You don't lose a great amount of frames in a second just because few frames take longer to render, but what you do lose is fluidity. You perceive such frametime spikes as stutters.

Sapphire Tri-X, why?

What games do you get stuttering?

Take a look at this example: https://youtu.be/4JHuyLoYU4c?t=1m18s

I get your point however, when you supply an equivalent number of samples (25) showing a consistent higher frametime then that's a fair comparison, don't you think so?

I understand that the time scale is different.

What games do you get stuttering?

Don't forget to ask for a video, and a blood sample, and give him the magazine and cup. That was my favorite part of the test.

microstuttering, lag spikes, tearing, etc...

microstuttering was a serious issue with crossfire for a long time

An issue that affects both cards... are you going to get to the point or what?

The 780ti matches the Fury X in Rise of the Tomb Raider. So this whole Kepler hate deal is smoke and mirrors.

How does it match the Fury X? If a 390 beats the 970 in average FPS in the game even without a driver from AMD? Maybe you've seen something I haven't, so I genuinely want to know :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

AMD has not released their drivers for it yet

Don't forget to ask for a video, and a blood sample, and give him the magazine and cup. That was my favorite part of the test.

....and a diary of his sleeping patterns

How does it match the Fury X? If a 390 beats the 970 in average FPS in the game even without a driver from AMD? Maybe you've seen something I haven't, so I genuinely want to know :P

Really? 1 frame on average is "beating" it? LOL

On my phone but it was covered yesterday in a topic so go a few pages back. At both 1080p and 1440 the 780ti gets within a frame of two of the Fury X.

But I guess if its AMD with that frame, margin of error doesn't exist LOL.

We really need to change the name of this forum to the "AMD support network" LOL!!!

AMD has not released their drivers for it yet

Yes, this is true. And a major reason not to own a AMD graphics solution.

But I have still to see if Nvidia's day one works. So no points to them on that just yet.

Really? 1 frame on average is "beating" it? LOL

On my phone but it was covered yesterday in a topic so go a few pages back. At both 1080p and 1440 the 780ti gets within a frame of two of the Fury X.

But I guess if its AMD with that frame, margin of error doesn't exist LOL.

We really need to change the name of this forum to the "AMD support network" LOL!!!

No no, they're around the same atm, as the dude in the DigitalFoundry said, 970 likes more open-world scenes whereas 390 favors the Lara close-ups etc

Although it is technically "beating it" since no doubt the framerate is higher. I know it's within a margin of error. I just assumed that the difference will grow when AMD releases a game ready driver ;-;

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Yes, this is true. And a major reason not to own a AMD graphics solution.

Nah, I disagree. People complain about AMD not releasing a driver day one to the game in which they took no part in creating like FO4 for example, they also need some time to run the game after it releases, check for as many bugs as possible and optimize the performance. You should give them at least a week of time. After a week, go ahead, I will join you in the AMD flame because of it.

No no, they're around the same atm, as the dude in the DigitalFoundry said, 970 likes more open-world scenes whereas 390 favors the Lara close-ups etc

Although it is technically "beating it" since no doubt the framerate is higher. I know it's within a margin of error. I just assumed that the difference will grow when AMD releases a game ready driver ;-;

And Nvidia will release more drivers. I was able to kick up some settings in Fallout 4 with the last one.

fps is one thing to look at, it's not the only thing. Both cards have their strengths and weaknesses. Ether card if the right model is chosen will serve the right person for years to come exceptionally well.

I feel like I'm back in the console wars with you guys LOL

Nah, I disagree. People complain about AMD not releasing a driver day one to the game in which they took no part in creating like FO4 for example, they also need some time to run the game after it releases, check for as many bugs as possible and optimize the performance. You should give them at least a week of time. After a week, go ahead, I will join you in the AMD flame because of it.

We'll see. Don said that same thing and when months later AMD had caused more issues chasing fps than the fixed it was nothing but excuses for AMD. I could give two shits who made my card, it better fucking work, no excuses. Almost flipped a bitch when I had input lag with the Hybrid, turned out to be something I did lol.

?

?

I have never in my life been on a forum where anyone had to prove they were having a problem, ever. And then I came here.

I have never in my life been on a forum where anyone had to prove they were having a problem, ever. And then I came here.

Oh I'm sorry. You're right. People should say whatever they want and not be questioned about the validity. This place should be an echo chamber and only confirmation bias should be allowed. You should probabaly go back to those forums where no one ever questions anything you say.