The "Upp" fuel cell charger. A completely pointless product.

iamdarkyoshi

So this subforum is for tech news and reviews (not member reviews), right? So I can post someone's review of a product? If not, feel free to lock this thread with mod glue or move it using the mod claw. But please don't, I typed all this from mobile...

Anyway, this video is from a youtube channel called mikeselectricstuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y48wCuC3KcA

Basically, the Upp fuel cell charger is similar to the fuel cell powerbank that linus reviewed. However, in this review, he also does a complete teardown of it and then has fun with the hydrogen storage cell.

His comparison to a lithium battery bank?

(The lithium battery pack has) More power, about the same weight, for about half the cost. Its crazy, absolutely insane

And of course, that is only the cost of the fuel storage tank. The actual entire unit costs SIX times the price of a battery bank with double the capacity. And of course, the fuel cartridge needs to be refilled every time it goes empty, which costs about 6 british pounds for each refill. And it is only a ~25 w/hr energy storage device, less than an equivilent ~7000mAh powerbank.

The manufacturer site can be found here: http://www.beupp.com

My opinion on this? Pretty much the same as mike, it offers NO advantage over a lithium battery based powerbank. What about the shelf life? The site claims 10 years storage time. True, but the unit uses electromechanical valves to regulate gas flow, so the power has to come from somewhere initially, and you guessed it, it comes from a small internal lithium battery, which if left for too long, will self discharge and have to be recharged with a USB charger. Absolutely stupid.

What are your opinions on this charger?

Oh.. okay

Now I know not to buy it... 

not like I was going to anyways

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

so just like this ?

also the video was published on 19 Dec 2015, so this is pretty old news tbh.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

so just like this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-yLqwGS2dA

also the video was published on 19 Dec 2015, so this is pretty old news tbh.

Yes. But in this vid, he does more than just a review. And I know the video is a bit old, but eh. Thought I would share.

There will always be rich idiots out there that will buy this kind of product.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Other than the electronic valving I love it and would want one if they weren't so expensive.

I rarely need to use the power bank I have, and thanks to battery leak down it is often not full when I need it. A fuel cell product (without an internal battery) would be great for me.

Other than the electronic valving I love it and would want one if they weren't so expensive.

I rarely need to use the power bank I have, and thanks to battery leak down it is often not full when I need it. A fuel cell product (without an internal battery) would be great for me.

I honestly don't think you would want one, buy a new power bank, I paid 10 bucks for my 5200 mah battery bank and there is a 7000 mah battery bank on sale at amazon for like 6 bucks with a microUSB  cable, I pay that much at Walmart for a microUSB cable, this is far larger, has maintenence issues, and costs several times more, I could buy 25 battery banks for the price of the hydrogen fuel cell thing at linus reviewed, effectively making them disposable if they stop working, you may just have a bad power bank.

Reminds me of this;

dvdrewinder.jpg

Never gets old. And people actually bought this.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

this video is sick

EDIT still watching, setting shit on fire, awesome!

(16:50 and 46:50 if ur lazy)

Watched the entire thing, he's a fucking nutcase.

He very clearly a very clever man so why he would release hydrogen gas next to an open flame I have no idea?

Besides that though that was one of the most interesting things I've watched in a while and the most in depth teardown I've ever seen.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

why he would release hydrogen gas next to an open flame

To burn the gas, obviously xD

Everyone has a little bit of pyromaniac in them, the UK seems to really like flames though (see the youtube user photonvids) 

Must be something in their water supply

I honestly don't think you would want one, buy a new power bank, I paid 10 bucks for my 5200 mah battery bank and there is a 7000 mah battery bank on sale at amazon for like 6 bucks with a microUSB  cable, I pay that much at Walmart for a microUSB cable, this is far larger, has maintenence issues, and costs several times more, I could buy 25 battery banks for the price of the hydrogen fuel cell thing at linus reviewed, effectively making them disposable if they stop working, you may just have a bad power bank.

The powerbank isn't bad, batteries just discharge with time, its normal.

According to Battery University a standard lithium ion cell will lose 5% in the first 24 hours, then 1-2% per month by itself, and protection circuits leak an additional 3% per month. Thats 5% per month and you're only starting at a 95% charge.

When I say I use my battery bank infrequently, I mean maybe once every 6 months I need it. That means I'm starting with a bank that is only 65% full [95% - (5% * 6 months)]. This is additionally compounded by temperature, higher temperatures discharge batteries faster. Battery sits in the car while you go into a store? It takes a hit. Summertime and you don't have A/C on in your house? Even 80 F will accelerate that discharge curve. This why this would be good for my usage case.

Yes I know I can top the bank up monthly to prevent this, but that's just another thing to remember to do.

The powerbank isn't bad, batteries just discharge with time, its normal.

According to Battery University a standard lithium ion cell will lose 5% in the first 24 hours, then 1-2% per month by itself, and protection circuits leak an additional 3% per month. Thats 5% per month and you're only starting at a 95% charge.

When I say I use my battery bank infrequently, I mean maybe once every 6 months I need it. That means I'm starting with a bank that is only 65% full [95% - (5% * 6 months)]. This is additionally compounded by temperature, higher temperatures discharge batteries faster. Battery sits in the car while you go into a store? It takes a hit. Summertime and you don't have A/C on in your house? Even 80 F will accelerate that discharge curve. This why this would be good for my usage case.

Yes I know I can top the bank up monthly to prevent this, but that's just another thing to remember to do.

This is where those solar powerbanks would come in handy, just trickling the batteries to prevent self discharge, nothing more. Its a shame most of them suck terribly 

This is where those solar powerbanks would come in handy, just trickling the batteries to prevent self discharge, nothing more. Its a shame most of them suck terribly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDTTz_ftj3E

They have to get light to stay full though, and I don't have a place on the outside of my bag to put one that wouldn't get damaged by the bag being moved about.

They are an excellent option overall though since they have the ability to be recharged (albeit slowly) when there isn't power available.

Maybe I should find one with a crank....