Mixing 2x4GB and 2x8GB?

Hi all,

I was certain this would work fine, but just doing some double checking and I feel the people on Tom's hardware that I've read from are 10 year olds with no clue, or maybe I am genuinely wrong.

I currently have Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 2x4GB In dual channel on a Z97 board. I have just brought the EXACT same (timings, speed, brand) BUT it's a larger size, and the current ram is only a month old so possibly same batch, but it's a 16GB kit. This would mean I'd have 24GB RAM (2x4 & 2x8).

I was under the impression this is absolutely fine but now I'm wondering as I've read loads of people saying "no it wont work", but then again they are also saying the sweet spot for an editing / gaming PC is 8GB lol...

Please, just reassure me this'll be fine.

And be nice, I feel like a noob now after this :(

CPU: i7 4790k 4.6GHz @ 1.19v     GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 1590Core     RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro    SSD: Samsung 850 Evo Raid 0

Cooler: Corsair H110i GT             Case: NZXT H440 Black Windowed          1TB WDD Blue, NZXT Hue+, MSI Z97S SLI Krait, Asus VX347H x2

-snip-

Just try it and see what happens is all I can say

If you have the option to get a high refresh rate monitor, do it.

Main PC CPU: i7 14700k CPU Cooler: NZXT x62 280mm Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite X WiFi 7 GPU: Asus Strix 3080ti RAM: Gskill Trident Z5 32gb DDR5 SSD: 990 Pro 2TB, 980 Pro 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black PSU: Corsair RM1000e ATX3.0

Server: CPU: i7 9700k RAM: Corsair 32gb DDR4 HDD: 36tb Usable SSD: Samsung 500gb NVME Case: Fractal Define R5 PSU: Corsair RM1000e ATX3.0

Just try it and see what happens is all I can say

What's the likelihood of failure? Or is it literally a 50/50 job? I've mixed and matched in low budget servers before and never had a problem

CPU: i7 4790k 4.6GHz @ 1.19v     GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 1590Core     RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro    SSD: Samsung 850 Evo Raid 0

Cooler: Corsair H110i GT             Case: NZXT H440 Black Windowed          1TB WDD Blue, NZXT Hue+, MSI Z97S SLI Krait, Asus VX347H x2

8 GB is generally plenty for any game, as far as adding DRAM, it's never a good idea to mix sets of DRAM, even with the same exact model. You have no idea if the sticks will play nice with each other, generally the chances are decent with say 1333 and even 1600 if the same model or at a minimum the same freq/timings and voltage.

Did my post help you? Then make sure to rate it!

Check out my post on symbolic links! || PSU ranking and tiers || Pokemon Thread

This will most likely work completely fine, no need at all to worry. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

This will most likely work completely fine, no need at all to worry. :)

^ He's right, it's totally fine to mix RAM sizes.  There's always the possibility that you'll run into an issue, but just go into it knowing that you can definitely do this.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Look up your motherboards user manual, you'll probably want to setup the sticks like 8gb sticks in the first and third dims and 4gb sticks in the 2nd and 4th.  Depends how your mobo want's them to be setup.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Ok cheers guys. I have the 4gb in dimms 2 & 4 as I used to have a 212 evo. To save me digging out the manual does anyone know what config it should be for a MSI Z97S SLI Krait board?

Ok cheers guys. I have the 4gb in dimms 2 & 4 as I used to have a 212 evo. To save me digging out the manual does anyone know what config it should be for a MSI Z97S SLI Krait board?

Honestly, it doesn't matter that much, as long as two of the same sticks are together in one channel (even then, it's not the end of the world if they aren't). 

"Rawr XD"

Hi all,

I was certain this would work fine, but just doing some double checking and I feel the people on Tom's hardware that I've read from are 10 year olds with no clue, or maybe I am genuinely wrong.

I currently have Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 2x4GB In dual channel on a Z97 board. I have just brought the EXACT same (timings, speed, brand) BUT it's a larger size, and the current ram is only a month old so possibly same batch, but it's a 16GB kit. This would mean I'd have 24GB RAM (2x4 & 2x8).

I was under the impression this is absolutely fine but now I'm wondering as I've read loads of people saying "no it wont work", but then again they are also saying the sweet spot for an editing / gaming PC is 8GB lol...

Please, just reassure me this'll be fine.

And be nice, I feel like a noob now after this :(

It will work just fien. DDR3 is ddr3 . Worst case scenario some boards are a bit picky about ram

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

• 1 month later...

Glad I did a search before posting a new thread, basically my exact question. Have a 2x 4GB Corsair kit in my '14 Haswell build, and was thinking I should buy some more RAM soon as the UK prices now of a 2x 8GB kit is basically what I paid for 8GB 2 years ago.

Guess I would just move the 4GB stick to slots 1&3, and the 8GB sticks into 2&4

I'm still on w7 Home though, so it would only see 16GB until I "upgrade" to w10. Have delayed doing so after having multiple issues over the various previws builds on my spare laptop (although it evened out once it hit retail). I'm happy enough with w7, but its a gaming PC so basically DX12 is influencing my decision.

So that decision has been made, but trying to decide whether I should sacrifice my w7 home full version key to something that will likely be w10 oem essentially afterwards (ie. tied to my MB), or just buy a w10 oem license and keep w7 for the laptop or another machine.

CPU: i5 4670K  Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo  MB: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX  RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance  GPU: MSI R9 280 3GB

PSU: EVGA 600W Bronze  Case: Corsair 200R (with pair of 120MM Noctua Redux PWM fans)  SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

HDD: 1TB Toshiba DT01ACA100   Optical: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-ray writer