GPU questions

hajsveen

AMD:          Nvidia:

Fury X        980Ti      (Doesn't trade blows, 980Ti wins)

Fury           980        (Fury wins at 1440p or more)

Nano          980        (Nano wins at 1440p or more when not throttling)

R9 390X     980        (Trades blows)

R9 390       970        (Trades blows at 1080p, 390 better at higher resolutions)

R9 380X     960/970 (Beats 960, loses to 970)

R9 380       960        (380 wins)

R7 370       950        (950 wins)    

R7 360       750Ti?   (I am unsure)

@hajsveen

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

AMD: Nvidia:

Fury X 980Ti (Trades blows)

Fury 980 (Fury wins at 1440p or more)

Nano 980 (Nano wins at 1440p or more when not throttling)

R9 390X 980 (Trades blows)

R9 390 970 (Trades blows at 1080p, 390 better at higher resolutions)

R9 380X 960/970 (Beats 960, loses to 970)

R9 380 960 (380 wins)

R7 370 950 (950 wins)

R7 360 750Ti? (I am unsure)

@hajsveen

What!?! The Fury X and 980ti DO NOT trade blows.

Please don't spread this kind of misinformation

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I'll add a word/sentence to the op. Better? Also, anymore 'misinformation' in the rest of the list?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Technically, as they come directly from AMD or Nvidia, they do. The 980ti only pulls clearly ahead when non-reference designs are involved.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

Technically, as they come directly from AMD or Nvidia, they do. The 980ti only pulls clearly ahead when non-reference designs are involved.

BS and you know it. What's the percentage of 980ti's using a reference PCB and reference blower style cooler? My Hybrid runs a reference PCB, want to put it up against a Fury X to settle this? Or can we please keep this in reality?

I'll add a word/sentence to the op. Better? Also, anymore 'misinformation' in the rest of the list?

Nope, the rest looks pretty good

BS and you know it. What's the percentage of 980ti's using a reference PCB and reference blower style cooler? My Hybrid runs a reference PCB, want to put it up against a Fury X to settle this? Or can we please keep this in reality?

Like I said, AS THEY COME DIRECTLY FROM AMD OR NVIDIA (meaning reference PCB AND cooling), they absolutely do. Aftermarket cooling and PCB's is not how Nvidia designed them, but those solutions obviously add performance.

Edit: Nvidia cheaped out on the cooler, AMD cheaped out on the chip itself. So Nvidia gets more headroom for aftermarket designs.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

Like I said, AS THEY COME DIRECTLY FROM AMD OR NVIDIA (meaning reference PCB AND cooling), they absolutely do. Aftermarket cooling and PCB's is not how Nvidia designed them, but those solutions obviously add performance.

Edit: Nvidia cheaped out on the cooler, AMD cheaped out on the chip itself. So Nvidia gets more headroom for aftermarket designs.

But it's bull shit to compare a very small percentage of the 980ti's to a majority of the Fury X. Stack the deck much lol?

But it's bull shit to compare a very small percentage of the 980ti's to a majority of the Fury X. Stack the deck much lol?

Well then you can't make blanket statements saying the Nvidia 980ti is better when as Nvidia designed it it is only similar. Now, you can absolutely say the EVGA Hybrid (in your case) or Kingpin (in my case) is better, but that's because someone else had to come in and fix Nvidia's shitty cooling and/or PCB.

Well then you can't make blanket statements saying the Nvidia 980ti is better when as Nvidia designed it it is only similar. Now, you can absolutely say the EVGA Hybrid (in your case) or Kingpin (in my case) is better, but that's because someone else had to come in and fix Nvidia's shitty cooling and/or PCB.

No, since the reference 980ti comes in at the same and even more than a 980ti with a non blower cooler that will beat the Fury X having a reference 980ti is a choice. If the reference 980ti was less expensive than a 980ti with a custom PCB or cooler you'd have a point.

But it's not, and you're using loaded dice.

No, since the reference 980ti comes in at the same and even more than a 980ti with a non blower cooler that will beat the Fury X having a reference 980ti is a choice. If the reference 980ti was less expensive than a 980ti with a custom PCB or cooler you'd have a point.

But it's not, and you're using loaded dice.

We aren't talking about price though, and I know that an aftermarket 980ti for $650 is obviously the better option. Hell, I don't even know if AMD still makes the Fury X after that fiasco with Cooler Master being sued for copyright infringement (which is most likely why the Fury X2 was delayed).

What I'm saying is this: Nvidia and AMD both released their in-house designed cards and both perform similarly. The difference is that Nvidia (whether on purpose or by accident) left in a decent amount of overclocking headroom for the aftermarket to exploit. Another way of saying this is that Nvidia deliberately gimped 980ti's so they could tout all that efficiency BS while AMD skimped on the GPU core to spend more on a nice cooling solution. Both could have done better, it's just that Nvidia ripped off customers then let the aftermarket fix it where AMD did not. I'm sure if that AIO wasn't included AMD could sell the Fury X for like ~$550 (or less) which would be so much better.

We aren't talking about price though, and I know that an aftermarket 980ti for $650 is obviously the better option. Hell, I don't even know if AMD still makes the Fury X after that fiasco with Cooler Master being sued for copyright infringement (which is most likely why the Fury X2 was delayed).

What I'm saying is this: Nvidia and AMD both released their in-house designed cards and both perform similarly. The difference is that Nvidia (whether on purpose or by accident) left in a decent amount of overclocking headroom for the aftermarket to exploit. Another way of saying this is that Nvidia deliberately gimped 980ti's so they could tout all that efficiency BS while AMD skimped on the GPU core to spend more on a nice cooling solution. Both could have done better, it's just that Nvidia ripped off customers then let the aftermarket fix it where AMD did not. I'm sure if that AIO wasn't included AMD could sell the Fury X for like ~$550 (or less) which would be so much better.

BS LOL, Nvidia didn't rip anyone off. Seriously, what's the percentage of reference 980ti's? Mines reference, other than the AIO slapped on by Nvidia it's bone fuckin stock. Cranks up to 1500mhz on the core like a champ. Yep, I totally got ripped off ROFL!!!

BS LOL, Nvidia didn't rip anyone off. Seriously, what's the percentage of reference 980ti's? Mines reference, other than the AIO slapped on by Nvidia it's bone fuckin stock. Cranks up to 1500mhz on the core like a champ. Yep, I totally got ripped off ROFL!!!

NVIDIA DID NOT PUT THAT AIO ON, EVGA DID. Is it really that hard to understand? Your card is not reference, it has aftermarket cooling. Without that AIO you'd recognize how much the 980ti needs low temps to get to high clocks. The way Nvidia originally designed it it cannot achieve low temps and therefore high clocks.

It doesn't matter how many reference 980ti's there are. The reference PCB + cooler is how Nvidia themselves specced that card out and in full reference configuration it trades blows with the Fury X. The difference is that Nvidia downclocks all their Maxwell cards so they can market all that efficiency shit where AMD clocks their cards closer max from the factory. What this means is that Nvidia cards tend to have more overclocking headroom than AMD (at this point in time) and that's what the aftermarket companies leverage.

Nvidia didn't design your 980ti to run at 1500, EVGA did with the inclusion of that AIO.

NVIDIA DID NOT PUT THAT AIO ON, EVGA DID. Is it really that hard to understand? Your card is not reference, it has aftermarket cooling. Without that AIO you'd recognize how much the 980ti needs low temps to get to high clocks. The way Nvidia originally designed it it cannot achieve low temps and therefore high clocks.

It doesn't matter how many reference 980ti's there are. The reference PCB + cooler is how Nvidia themselves specced that card out and in full reference configuration it trades blows with the Fury X. The difference is that Nvidia downclocks all their Maxwell cards so they can market all that efficiency shit where AMD clocks their cards closer max from the factory. What this means is that Nvidia cards tend to have more overclocking headroom than AMD (at this point in time) and that's what the aftermarket companies leverage.

Nvidia didn't design your 980ti to run at 1500, EVGA did with the inclusion of that AIO.

No, you're missing the point sadly. You cannot say the Fury X and 980ti trade blows when at the exact same price point you get a non blower 980ti and a Fury X.

I'm trying to pull you back to reality, the really real world where the only reason to have a reference 980ti is by choice. AMD put the AIO on the Fury X because they had to, not having it on is called a Nano ;)

No, you're missing the point sadly. You cannot say the Fury X and 980ti trade blows when at the exact same price point you get a non blower 980ti and a Fury X.

I'm trying to pull you back to reality, the really real world where the only reason to have a reference 980ti is by choice. AMD put the AIO on the Fury X because they had to, not having it on is called a Nano ;)

I get that. There's absolutely no reason to buy a reference design unless you are just going to put a waterblock on it. But when review sites compare the Nvidia GTX 980ti against the AMD Fury X, they are not comparing modified versions. The cards are as supplied by their parent companies. And in an "as supplied" state they are similar. 

This is exactly how comparing cars works as well. You compare cars as supplied from the manufacturer, not a bone stock one vs. one with bolt-ons. In our case here, the Fury X is bone stock while any aftermarket 980ti has "bolt-ons". It doesn't matter if the one with bolt-ons is the same price, that's not how the original manufacturer intended it to be.

I know this is all just semantics, but it is an important distinction to make.

I get that. There's absolutely no reason to buy a reference design unless you are just going to put a waterblock on it. But when review sites compare the Nvidia GTX 980ti against the AMD Fury X, they are not comparing modified versions. The cards are as supplied by their parent companies. And in an "as supplied" state they are similar.

This is exactly how comparing cars works as well. You compare cars as supplied from the manufacturer, not a bone stock one vs. one with bolt-ons. In our case here, the Fury X is bone stock while any aftermarket 980ti has "bolt-ons". It doesn't matter if the one with bolt-ons is the same price, that's not how the original manufacturer intended it to be.

I know this is all just semantics, but it is an important distinction to make.

Only a EVGA Hybrid is a factory card, as is the rest of the EVGA lineup. And just because some reviews only use the reference cooler, that has no bearing on reality, which is my point. Like I said and this needs repeating, if the reference cooler equipped 980ti was less expensive than a non reference cooled card then you do have a point. But it is almost harder to buy a reference 980ti, than a non reference. And the reference can be MORE expensive.

Sorry my brother, you're wrong in this case. The 980ti is the better card. Maybe AMD comes out with something to challenge it, would be cool. But as of now the 980ti stands unchallenged as far as single GPU cards go.

Only a EVGA Hybrid is a factory card, as is the rest of the EVGA lineup. And just because some reviews only use the reference cooler, that has no bearing on reality, which is my point. Like I said and this needs repeating, if the reference cooler equipped 980ti was less expensive than a non reference cooled card then you do have a point. But it is almost harder to buy a reference 980ti, than a non reference. And the reference can be MORE expensive.

Sorry my brother, you're wrong in this case. The 980ti is the better card. Maybe AMD comes out with something to challenge it, would be cool. But as of now the 980ti stands unchallenged as far as single GPU cards go.

You missed everything I said. It's like I'm trying to talk to a brick wall. So for my sanity, I'm done.

You missed everything I said. It's like I'm trying to talk to a brick wall. So for my sanity, I'm done.

You want tests done with reference models of both cards to decide which is better.

That's not how reality works.

AMD          nVidia

Fury X        980 Ti

Fury            980 (beats)

R9 Nano    980 (ties)

390X          980 (looses)

390            970

380X          N/A

380             960

370X (not in us market yet)

370             950 (looses)

360             950(beats)

Is the story the same if they had been in sli or crossfire? Or would the list be diffrent?

Lets say dual cards

NEEVS

Is the story the same if they had been in sli or crossfire? Or would the list be diffrent?

Lets say dual cards

crossfire is better

but single cards are better than dual 

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

crossfire is better

but single cards are better than dual

So nothing changes when ranking dual cards compared to single cards

NEEVS